Xbox 360 controller that has a chatpad

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Xbox 360 controller that has a chatpad

Post by FARSTRIDER »

Mobeeuz wrote:The chatpad itself is not supported in Windows, therefore xpadder can't support it either. But for the sake of completion and possible future Microsoft endeavors, here you go.
well there has been people who figured out alternative ways of enabling support.(both options being costly though)

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Xbox 360 controller that has a chatpad

Post by Oke_Doke »

:shock: My god! Consider the ramifications if each key could be mapable... :keen: Would they all even fit in the window?! Unholly abomination be gone!! ;)

vgarcia

Post by vgarcia »

Perhaps our prayers have been answered! :D

look at this:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/hardwar ... ge-10.html

It looks like the user GAFBlizzard will release a driver soon.

Please donate to the competition!

also see here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... 607&page=2

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Oke_Doke »

If this is true, There will be a rush to buy chat pads soon. :D

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

Glad I didn't toss my two chat pads, then. I've had them for ages, and stopped using them in favour of using my wireless keyboard on LIVE.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

This is excellent news! The basic spec will probably result in a standard keyboard driver. Xpadder cannot use it but it would compliment Xpadder well for all those sit-back-and-relax types :D
Hopefully, the open source code will be picked up and used to create a controller driver with each key as a button ;)

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

to bad they stopped making seperate wireless recivers since only other way is with a LifeChat ZX-6000 reciver or buying another 360 controller.

@ least theres now 2 different chat pads out original white & black s(found a black s wired controller cost 5-10 cheaper than origanal white because of lack of dirver disk & retailer doesnt usually charge same price as bigger chains)

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I saw the black chat pad this weekend and thought it would go well with my Halo2 edition controller. I have a white one but don't remember it coming with a disc. :?:

vgarcia

Post by vgarcia »

someone over at mp3car.com asked: "is the chatpad be setup as a keyboard or a controller?"

And the answer was: "...I've considered making a virtual HID mouse and keyboard, and that may be what I have to do in the end, but that's more work. For now, I'm going to see if I can find a solution that doesn't require that, ..."

looks like, if we lucky, the chatpad is a controller with buttons.
that would be the best!
then Jonathan has to make changes to the xpadder window, so we can map all those buttons ;)

the sad thing is. if i read the mp3car.com forum right. the driver will only support wired controllers. :(

so, no use of that for me :(

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

The biggest hurdle is getting a basic driver of any type developed, especially without official support.
Once the source is out there I'm sure others will tweak it to support wireless.
There are already unofficial wireless drivers out there so a merging of the two is possible.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

SGTCableDog wrote:I saw the black chat pad this weekend and thought it would go well with my Halo2 edition controller. I have a white one but don't remember it coming with a disc. :?:
i meant the game pad not having a driver disc

SocalDistortion

Re: Showing selected Set on the 360pad

Post by SocalDistortion »

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/hardwar ... ge-13.html

GafBlizzard is close to releasing drivers for the 360 chatpad (wired version). So far he has about 8000 lines of code and is on pace to release before Christmas. I have a feeling there will be many happy gamers.

SocalDistortion

This is now done but only in testing phase. Hopefully a fully operational and nearly bug-free version of the chatpad drivers will be released soon. Maybe within the next month or 2...

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

This Site doesn't loads for me, maybe it does later.

Does anybody know if they also make Linux drivers?

vgarcia

Post by vgarcia »

the driver is released! :mrgreen:

http://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super- ... loads/list

I am typing this text with the chatpad connected to my wired 360 controller.

it works simultaneously with xpadder.

this is huge!

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

No Linux driver :(.

But I have become aware of an good, but even more expensive alternative as a really small keyboard with mouse function for my HTPC.
Logitech Dinovo mini

vgarcia

Post by vgarcia »

i have the dinovo mini.

the first one was defective after 5 weeks. Logitech replaced it.
the second one was defective after 6 more months. Logitech replaced it.
the third one has problems now. some keys need high pressure to be recognized.

don't get me wrong. i like logitech products and i like the dinovo. Its ok for the price. But i never ever going to buy a dinovo again!

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Wow. Logitech+such an price and then such an bad quality.

vgarcia

Post by vgarcia »

Jonathan, perhaps you can have a look at the config files from the driver.
It would be cool, if xpadder would support to open the chatpad config txt files. Editing these through xpadder would make things easier.

SocalDistortion

vgarcia wrote:Jonathan, perhaps you can have a look at the config files from the driver.
It would be cool, if xpadder would support to open the chatpad config txt files. Editing these through xpadder would make things easier.
Yes! Please make this a reality. It would be nice for us dummies to just have this as a plug and play with Xpadder. I have not downloaded the currently release driver yet. I'm worried about screwing something up. :noob:

vgarcia

Post by vgarcia »

i am using the driver right now.
you can not screw things up.

The only inconvenience is that you have to press F8 before the OS boot sequence to enable unsigned drivers.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

vgarcia wrote:The only inconvenience is that you have to press F8 before the OS boot sequence to enable unsigned drivers.
i'd imagine thats only for 64 bit. windows users

vgarcia

Post by vgarcia »

FARSTRIDER wrote:
vgarcia wrote:The only inconvenience is that you have to press F8 before the OS boot sequence to enable unsigned drivers.
I don´t know.
But i think on Windows XP it is no problem.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

vgarcia wrote:
FARSTRIDER wrote:
I don´t know.
But i think on Windows XP it is no problem.
thats obvious since almost all xp computers still on on the road today had xp(pro/home/mce/tablet) 32bit preinstalled

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

vgarcia wrote:Jonathan, perhaps you can have a look at the config files from the driver.
I have been following the original MP3car.com topic and have now read the good news :D

Unfortunately I do not currently have a working wired controller nor a chatpad. From what I have read though I am assuming that currently the Chatpad Super Driver is a keyboard and mouse driver. This means that it is not presenting the keys as controller buttons. Xpadder and other programs see the chatpad as a regular keyboard only. Controller buttons are only possible if a controller driver is written or the keyboard driver is modified to connect the chatpad as a games controller.

GAFBlizzard's excellent work will no doubt be the corner-stone for others to work on a controller driver to provide the function we need, assuming GAFBlizzard does not add the feature first.
This initial release is what everyone has been waiting for. Now we just need to wait for it to evolve. If anyone has any news or updates in the controller driver area then post in this topic. Once a controller driver surfaces I will ensure Xpadder can read all keys as buttons :D

vgarcia

Post by vgarcia »

Jonathan, i am aware of the fact, that the chatpad is present as keyboard Driver and not as Gamepad buttons.

What i meant was not that xpadder has to support the chatpad directly. It is enough if it supports the file format of the chatpad driver config file.
The Driver Programm that GAFBlizzard made comes with a config file. In the config File it is Possible to edit the Keys.

Here are some example lines

Code: Select all

CHATPAD_KEY_1 = KEYBOARD_KEY_1
CHATPAD_KEY_2 = KEYBOARD_KEY_2
CHATPAD_KEY_3 = KEYBOARD_KEY_3
CHATPAD_KEY_4 = KEYBOARD_KEY_4
CHATPAD_KEY_5 = KEYBOARD_KEY_5
CHATPAD_KEY_6 = KEYBOARD_KEY_6
CHATPAD_KEY_7 = KEYBOARD_KEY_7
CHATPAD_KEY_8 = KEYBOARD_KEY_8
CHATPAD_KEY_9 = KEYBOARD_KEY_9
CHATPAD_KEY_0 = KEYBOARD_KEY_0

CHATPAD_KEY_Q = KEYBOARD_KEY_Q
CHATPAD_KEY_W = KEYBOARD_KEY_W
CHATPAD_KEY_E = KEYBOARD_KEY_E
CHATPAD_KEY_R = KEYBOARD_KEY_R
CHATPAD_KEY_T = KEYBOARD_KEY_T
CHATPAD_KEY_Y = KEYBOARD_KEY_Y
CHATPAD_KEY_U = KEYBOARD_KEY_U
CHATPAD_KEY_I = KEYBOARD_KEY_I
CHATPAD_KEY_O = KEYBOARD_KEY_O
CHATPAD_KEY_P = KEYBOARD_KEY_P
U can download a full config file here: http://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super- ... loads/list

You are a really great UI Designer when it comes to represent tasks like remapping keys.

My Idea was that you add on extra buton to Xpadder. (Or standalone Program)
If clicked, it opens a dialog window. The user points it to the config file from the chatpad driver.
Xpadder parses it and presents a picture of the pad. Now we can click on the buttons and remap the keys with the Xpadder interface. (virtual keyboard pops up and we click a key)
After editing. Xpadder writes the changes back to the driver config file.

I would totally pay another EU€ 6.99 or even more, for this functionality

SocalDistortion

Looking forward to using GAFBlizzards driver along with X-padder in my MMO Darkfall. Being able to use the keys on the chatpad for in-game chat means that it will be the end of hunched-over playing games at my desk. Time to get a S-video cable and move the fun to my TV. Gonna play from my couch now. :)

Plinius

Post by Plinius »

how do you install the driver (win7 64 bit) and is it save/stable?
and i will only have to buy a chatpad and connect it with the controller?
and i could use it like a normale keyboard, without further configuration, is that correct?

if it is true than i'm so happy...playing mmos with a controller after all xD

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

vgarcia wrote:My Idea was that you add on extra buton to Xpadder. (Or standalone Program)
I see what you mean now :idea: Can you post this idea in the Controller Suggestions subforum.
I'd like to keep this topic for the driver itself.

bob808

Post by bob808 »

I sure would like a stable driver for the wireless 360 controller/chatpad. That would be super sweet! I think M$ has dropped the ball here. The PS3 dual-shock controller has a keyboard attachment that works in windows But Microsofts own controller keyboard dosn't? This makes me frusterated, as I prefer the xbox controller over the ps3 controller any day of the week.

adsailorgirl

Post by adsailorgirl »

Any updates as of yet? I'm really looking forward to using this with my Everquest II online :D. Thanks so much for Xpadder!

adsailorgirl

Post by adsailorgirl »

vgarcia wrote:i am using the driver right now.
you can not screw things up.

The only inconvenience is that you have to press F8 before the OS boot sequence to enable unsigned drivers.
Can you explain to us dummies how we can use it as well? Please and thank you!

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

click on the link for the driver in this post http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php?p=10153#p10153 & you will get your answer

nathanvandyne

Post by nathanvandyne »

DOES THIS WORK WITH XPADDER??
I'm going to post this here since it isnt getting anywhere. this would be all you need until actual drivers are released from MS instead of trying to mess with all of these workarounds.

this is pretty much the same exact thing as the 360 controller + chat pad. and probably comes out to the same price roughly when you buy both, with LESS of a hassle.
I just need to know if Xpadder can support this

looks VERY promising, and close to the 360 ctrl: this is the igugu gamecore

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=141
Last edited by nathanvandyne on 25 Jun 2011, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

everything but the trackball & keybord should work with xpadder

giga6

Post by giga6 »

DOES THIS WORK WITH XPADDER??
I'm going to post this here since it isnt getting anywhere. this would be all you need until actual drivers are released from MS instead of trying to mess with all of these workarounds.

this is pretty much the same exact thing as the 360 controller + chat pad. and probably comes out to the same price roughly when you buy both, with LESS of a hassle.
I just need to know if Xpadder can support this

looks VERY promising, and close to the 360 ctrl: this is the igugu gamecore
well it is $135 for igugu gamecore
but i got my windows xbox controller with receiver for $70
and my Chatpad for $15

giga6

Post by giga6 »

and on the otheri side off thing the wifi side of the driver is going to couse some head aches
the key and controler hardware working at the same time uses more power so you need a way to turn the chat pad on and off with somthing like a gameing overlay

Shadow_dragyn

Post by Shadow_dragyn »

Anyone know how that driver is working out? It looks like it hasn't seen an update in nearly a year, and was left in an extremely alpha state.
I'm not sure if I should by a Chatpad, or get a PS3 controller + Keypad.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

it works okay the custom mapping is confusing & some key keys arnt useable & it leaves a dos like blinking cursor ghosted in the background of your desktop & one biggie is that you cant quickly switch back & fourth from chatpad mode to game pad mode as theres no game pad options(that includes headset support). most of this has been rec. in the faq but you get the idea

francischabot156

Post by francischabot156 »

vgarcia wrote:i have the dinovo mini.

don't get me wrong. i like logitech products and i like the dinovo. Its ok for the price. But i never ever going to buy a dinovo again!
The diNovo Mini is a piece of ****.

The design is awesome. And when it works it's the best thing since sliced bread. The problem is it never properly work.

My first diNovo dongle was DOA. Ok **** happens returned the diNovo and got a new one. It did work properly for a while then all of a sudden for unknown reason my diNovo keyboard kept getting disconnected every 10-15 minutes (both with the diNovo dongle and with my bluetooth dongle). The trackpad always work only the keyboard stop working after a while. Have to remove the battery every time to reset the pairing. The warranty is over so i'm stuck with a really beautiful and expensive paper weight.

Also the trackpad is really bad imo. One of the worst i used ever.

Really awesome sauce piece of hardware when it works. Terrible drivers. Terrible support. Probably the last logitech product i buy. Sad Logitech used to be top the g7 was and still is the best mouse ever created. z-5500 was such a good value.

[end rant ;)]

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

francischabot156 wrote:
vgarcia wrote:i have the dinovo mini.

The diNovo Mini is a piece of ****.

The design is awesome. And when it works it's the best thing since sliced bread. The problem is it never properly work.

My first diNovo dongle was DOA. Ok **** happens returned the diNovo and got a new one. It did work properly for a while then all of a sudden for unknown reason my diNovo keyboard kept getting disconnected every 10-15 minutes (both with the diNovo dongle and with my bluetooth dongle). The trackpad always work only the keyboard stop working after a while. Have to remove the battery every time to reset the pairing. The warranty is over so i'm stuck with a really beautiful and expensive paper weight.

Also the trackpad is really bad imo. One of the worst i used ever.

Really awesome sauce piece of hardware when it works. Terrible drivers. Terrible support. Probably the last logitech product i buy. Sad Logitech used to be top the g7 was and still is the best mouse ever created. z-5500 was such a good value.

[end rant ;)]
there are now more kb/mose bt hardware options(maybe not as compact) now that stuff like the ipad has been around for a while id try looking on somewhere like ncix.com(canadian) for another soulotion if you dont want to deal with logitechs price

sargentaaron2004

Post by sargentaaron2004 »

Sorry if this is rekindling an old thread... but has this been done yet? People were working on this back in 2009...

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

it works but if your intending on using with a wireless controller your out of luck. heres the link to the driver & control utility http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php?p=16222#p12321

Razorskills

Post by Razorskills »

https://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super ... ort=&id=46

Check that out, Not sure how to make it work but people are saying their wireless controller + chat pad was able to work. I Don't understand the mumbo jumbo that they are talking about but if people say its working maybe someone else with coding knowledge or whatever this is can figure out what to do to get it working and report back?

Edit: I looked through the talking about this and found this link: http://thepocketofresistance.wordpress.com/
The guy has drivers and stuff to download and hes working hard on this i guess. Take a look maybe, this only just started as of Jan 2013 :D
The future looks hopeful!

Return to “Cannot find controller”