Hold down a button indefinitely? (Mass Effect 1 issue)

zebedeeLPS

Hold down a button indefinitely? (Mass Effect 1 issue)

Post by zebedeeLPS »

Basically, what I want is to have middle mouse button held down at all times, as this fixes the wild spinning camera issues in Mass Effect. What I currently have is the 360 controller "back" button set to middle mouse on toggle, with LB as a set selector when held to access tech/biotic powers. The problem is that switching between sets causes the toggle hold to be lost. So I'll start up, hit "back" to toggle middle mouse on, but when I hold LB to switch to set 2, use a power, then release, middle mouse is released upon returning to set 1. I can hit "back" every time I come back to set 1, but this is fiddly and hard to keep a track of.

Is there a way to make the toggle hold across all sets, or a way to sequence LB so that it selects set 2 when held and then holds down middle mouse upon release, or even holds down middle mouse as well as selecting set 2 when held, so that no matter what I do middle mouse is held? Or a more elegant alternative I haven't thought of? I've already tried the modified .ini for native support that was around on the BioWare forums (good work, but not without it's problems which outweighed those of xpadder in my opinion) and the xinput dll-file I found searching these forums (didn't have any effect for me).

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Hold down a button indefinitely? (Mass Effect 1 issue)

Post by Primal Fear »

Profile wide toggles aren't possible yet, but there is a topic to vote for this feature (which doesn't help you now).

This .dll file should work, I guess the problem this modified .ini you speak of. Did you make a backup of the original?

zebedeeLPS

Post by zebedeeLPS »

I backed-up the original .ini and reverted cleanly, I'm almost certain, though I always doubt myself fiddling around with those kind of files. But like I said, almost certain. I assume I'd have to download everything again to reinstall through Steam, so as my internet is painfully slow lately I won't rush at that.

I found the .dll from your post in this topic, but according to the download link that file is apparently now deprecated. I tried it anyway but the game failed to launch with it installed. I searched for and found another file named xinput1_3.dll here and tried that carefully. The game launched but it had no apparent effect. I don't know if that's not the same thing or if you could point me to another version to try, but seemingly the .dll does nothing for me. Hopefully the version I found was wrong, otherwise I guess I must have made a small mistake in swapping .ini files in and out.

For now I think I've got a physical solution instead. I'll swap middle and right mouse in the key bindings and accordingly in xpadder, and use something heavy to hold down the unassigned right mouse button. The coin-heavy corner of my wallet works well. It's ugly, and I don't have a clue why it works, but it'll do.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

zebedeeLPS wrote:I assume I'd have to download everything again to reinstall through Steam, so as my internet is painfully slow lately I won't rush at that.
Steam has a feature called "Verify game cache". Open the properties of Mass Effect in Steam, click on the tab "Local File", and then on the button "Verify integrity of game cache...". If something is wrong, it will only redownload these files. It should be enough to bring the data to it's original state.
I would recommend to delete this .ini before, because I guess it won't simply replace it since it is a config file.
zebedeeLPS wrote:I found the .dll from your post in this topic, but according to the download link that file is apparently now deprecated. I tried it anyway but the game failed to launch with it installed.
Was there an error message? It could be useful.
To get the most actual version you would have to download the whole emulator here. This version creates this file automatically while starting, so it seems that they don't offer a individual download for this file anymore. But this older version should be new enough to work, it is from December 14th 2010.

zebedeeLPS wrote:I searched for and found another file named xinput1_3.dll here and tried that carefully. The game launched but it had no apparent effect. I don't know if that's not the same thing or if you could point me to another version to try, but seemingly the .dll does nothing for me. Hopefully the version I found was wrong, otherwise I guess I must have made a small mistake in swapping .ini files in and out.
Yes, your download is an original file. But mine is a modified version of it, for an tool that can emulate input from the xbox360pad. So this file should really make no difference.

zebedeeLPS wrote:For now I think I've got a physical solution instead. I'll swap middle and right mouse in the key bindings and accordingly in xpadder, and use something heavy to hold down the unassigned right mouse button. The coin-heavy corner of my wallet works well. It's ugly, and I don't have a clue why it works, but it'll do.
Yes, it's strange that pressing an unused mouse button makes a difference with a problem caused by a controller that the game also doesn't use. On the other hand, it could be just logically :shifty:.
My idea would be to lock the mouse button with toothpicks. One in front and one on the back of the mouse wheel. Or for the left mouse button, one somewhere in an casing gap around it. Looks kindly brutal, but works :lol:.

Return to “How do I do this combo/sequence?”