Dynamically Assign new controllers

Alpenjodler

Dynamically Assign new controllers

Post by Alpenjodler »

Hi, I want to use xpadder in my hyperspin setup and so far it works like a charm.

I have hyperspin on a normal computer, not a cabinet and I have - from time to time - different controls connected:
I have an 360 Hori Real Arcade, an PS2 Hori Real Arcade (with a wired 360 Pad inside ^^), a normal wired 360 Pad, 3 360 Pads with a receiver, a bunch of PS3 Pads and I want to buy SNES converters eventually.

Is there a way to dynamically assign different pads to different players? Some people like Arcade Sticks and some people don't, so someone might want to play with it, someone might not. Or I might need more than four pads for SNES or PC-Engine games. Did anyone already find a solution to that problem?

The only solution I came up with was
The Arcade Sticks get control schemes 1 and 2
The XBox Pads get control schemes 1-4
I buy enough SNES pads for 6 people (the adapters come in pairs) and they get schemes 1-6

So you might have to find the correct pad, but at least you should never have to remap keys...

Ahh, and also: Is there a way to make xpadder rediscover devices? Maybe the stick was connected to something else at startup, but when I decide to play some Mame, I'll stick pop it in. Can I use it right away or do I have to do something else?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Dynamically Assign new controllers

Post by Primal Fear »

I don't really understand your problem. I suppose you have created for every player a profile and if you load these profiles manually you have always the free decision which profile you load for which controller.
jwieke wrote:Ahh, and also: Is there a way to make xpadder rediscover devices? Maybe the stick was connected to something else at startup, but when I decide to play some Mame, I'll stick pop it in. Can I use it right away or do I have to do something else?
Xpadder should detect controller models that were used before and loads the layout that was previously used automatically. If this is not the case, the controller file isn't either available anymore on the former path or Xpadder wasn't able to save it's location in the Xpadder.ini, in the latter case we need to check why.

Alpenjodler

Post by Alpenjodler »

Hi, yes, I did that and it works great. Now all my controller types have a layout and 5 profiles - one for each player. But I have to manually assign the players to the controllers.
Is there a way to make like a "player select-profile" that reacts on the controllers actions and loads the coresponding profile in order of activity?

So I start the game, all controllers get reset to player select. The first one to push any buttons gets the curser keys, the second one to push any buttons gets wasd and so on. That's what I meant with dynamically assign. Sorry if my explanation was not very helpful

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

The easiest way to accomplish something like that that would be using a individual set for each player instead of a individual profile. Only precondition for that is that every player only uses one set.

Code: Select all

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2012.12.31
Name=(Untitled profile)
Set1Name=Player Sel.
Set1StickDeadZones=228,64
Set1DPadMode=FourWay
Set1Stick1Mode=EightWay
Set2Name=Player 1
Set3Name=Player 2
Set4Name=Player 3
Set5Name=Player 4
Set1DPadUpName=Player 2
Set1DPadUpSetSelect=2
Set1DPadRightName=Player 3
Set1DPadRightSetSelect=3
Set1DPadDownName=Player 4
Set1DPadDownSetSelect=4
Set1DPadLeftName=Player 1
Set1DPadLeftSetSelect=1
Set1Stick1UpSetSelect=3
Set1Stick1RightSetSelect=5
Set1Stick1DownSetSelect=7
Set1Stick1LeftSetSelect=1
Set1Stick1UpRightSetSelect=4
Set1Stick1DownRightSetSelect=6
Set1Stick1UpLeftSetSelect=2
Set2Button7Name=Player selection
Set2Button7SetSelect=0
Set3Button7SetSelect=0
Set4Button7SetSelect=0
Set5Button7SetSelect=0
Set6Button7SetSelect=0
Set7Button7SetSelect=0
Set8Button7SetSelect=0
If there shouldn't be any button free in the player sets, it would be possible to solve the returning to the players selection via tap&hold or via a combination of start and back.

But if you want to use the the SNES pads you will probably have the problem that the profile for Xbox360pads won't work correctly for them. The buttons will probably be mixed up.

Return to “Multiplayer/multi-controller problems”