Analog scrolling for web browsers?

Joergen8

Analog scrolling for web browsers?

Post by Joergen8 »

I'm trying to mimic the Xbox controller behavior (analog scroll) of the native Xbox console dashboard in Windows 10 (for HTPC use):

Right now I've set the right stick to page up and page down, but what I'm looking for is analog scrolling (not mouse wheel or dpad up/down in steps). Gopher360 does this with the right stick, but I can't figure out how it does it or how to copy the function to Xpadder.

Analog scrollng = using sticks up/down (or analog triggers) to scroll at an adjustable rate, based on the depth of the analog intput, not in steps.

I've been able to mimic most things with this great app so far, including the zoom function:
-"Analog" zoom in/out function by using sets (1/2) and Win10 Magnifier at full screen, mapping WIN+ and WIN- to triggers in set 2 (Xbox navite: hold (XBOX) button, start magnifier/zoom, triggers to zoom in out).

Thank you for this great app, really liking it so far! I bought two used Dell Optiplex micro (1 Liter) PCs to use as HTPC, and I can practically ditch the KB+M in favor of just using a controller just like on native Xbox, but with the added benefit of the Windows environment.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: Analog scrolling for web browsers?

Post by Jonathan »

Xpadder can only emulate key and mouse actions and cannot directly alter window elements.
I suspect emulating middle mouse button click then mouse move up or down will provide this.
Maybe Mouse Spring could be used in this situation?

Joergen8

Post by Joergen8 »

I tried middle mouse click mapped to a gamepad button (Y), and it sort of works for analog scrolling (hold down button Y and right-stick (mouse) up/down), but seemingly they can't both be mapped to the right stick (middle-mouse-click + mouse-up mapped to right-stick up).

Middle mouse also acts as "open in new tab in background" when hovering over a link in Chrome, which causes problems when scrolling a web page. A Chrome plugin might be able to fix this.

Mouse-spring doesn't reliably return to center due to how the a analog stick works, which results in continued scrolling when the stick is released, which is why it would be better if middle-mouse-click was only active while the stick is held up/down, and inactive when centered (within dead-zone tolerance).

Gopher360 also doesn't seem to use middle mouse click for the scrolling, but some mystery method.
Edit: could Gopher360 be using the two-finger scroll function of laptop/media keyboard touchpads?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

I am sorry. I mistyped my reply. :oops:
I meant to suggest emulating mouse wheel scrolling up and down for scrolling in windows.
Xpadder can simulate this even if your actual mouse does not have a mouse wheel.

Return to “How do I do this assignment? Mouse actions”