stick switching, xpadder dont remember

Bernd78

stick switching, xpadder dont remember

Post by Bernd78 »

hi,
i ve a logitech cordless rumble pad. i use the logitech driver option to switch my sticks permanently, cause some games i.e. the gta series ignore the switsching option of xpadder and i need to walk with the right stick for some reason. this works perfect, but after restart xpadder always switch the sticks back. all button settings and the button settings of the stick still the same and ok, only the sticks were switch back to left is left right is right again. so after every restart i have to to this again.

regards
Bernd78

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Re: stick switching, xpadder dont remember

Post by mnl1121 »

With Xpadder there is no need to switch the sticks using Logitechs driver options. Just switch the keyboard assignments.

Bernd78

Post by Bernd78 »

hi,
that doesnt works in some games like the gta series, if you want an analog stick for movement on the right stick. when gta takes only the left stick for that. so i switch the sticks in the logitech driver, where the right stick is for analog movment and the left for digital buttons. the pro i have is that after same restarts of my pc (not always) xpadder takes the right stick again as right stick, but the driver switch them, so i have again left analog and right digital but the asingned buttons are beeing on the leftstick.

regards
Bernd

Bernd78

Post by Bernd78 »

edit:
after ervery restart of the pc xpadder noticed the left as left and the right as right stick. but in the logitech driver both are switched.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

The problem is you don't understand how Xpadder works. Xpadder does not directly "talk" to anything but your OS. It doesn't "see" or communicate with your game. So all you need to do is make sure gamepad support is disabled for GTA and use Xpadder. So you just need to switch the assignments for the sticks.

Bernd78

Post by Bernd78 »

hi,
thanks

this could be pretty nice. only thing: tell me how to disable gamepad support in GTA4 without to disable ingame activeX. if you do so there are no analog stick avaible any more. if you find a workaround you make me and thousends of other players glad.

2nd
you are right, i realy dont understand how xpadder works, but i know that switchback has nothing to do with GTA. i will try to explain shortly:
the following works for me since years on win XP. but since i have win7 and xpadder5.6 NOT

make a new contoller with 2 sticks
make a new button profil with 2 sticks - left is analog, right with buttons
save it
than i go to the logitech driver options and switch the sticks
goback to xpadder: if you move the right stick xpadder shows them left, and in all aps it works so, right is analog, left is with buttons.
you can close xpadder completly and restart it, it works like a charm.
but if you restart the pc, open xpadder, move the right stick and it is now on right again with the right button asignment, the logitech driver shows it correctly on left.

so in my eyes, the logitech driver works well, xpadder not.

regards
bernd78

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

The easiest way to disable controller support is to not plug in your controller until after GTA has fully started up. After that plug it in. Your game shouldn't detect it, but Xpadder will. The harder but more permanent ways would be to possibly find a file in your installation folder that has options to enable/disable controller support. I doubt a game like GTA would have one though. Worth a look if you want.

Bernd78

Post by Bernd78 »

...well nice tip, but doesent works! the only thing i have by unplug and replug on full loading game is: yeah u know it that prob i talk about the stick are re swiched. it could be a nice thing to solve that bug in xpadder!

regards
bernd

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Xpadder basicly does two things; reads raw controller data, and executes key presses and mouse movements. When you detect the sticks while creating your controller layout you are telling Xpadder that the left stick is X-Y axis and the right stick is RX-RY axis. If you swap the sticks with the driver so the controllers left stick is RX-RY and right is X-Y. If you move the right stick Xpadder sees the X-Y axis input which still appears as the left stick. Xpadder has no way of knowing that something has changed with the hardware.

Hope this clears things up.

Return to “Other questions”