Difficulties with setup

pamjstewart

Difficulties with setup

Post by pamjstewart »

I have a ps3 controller that I want to use with the PC version of cod:world at war. I have installed the ds3drv_dx_1.04.1.17 device driver which seems ok, at least, the controller layout detects all of the button and stick presses that I provided on the controller layout. Here are my questions:

1.) What exactly is a "trigger" ? This is not explained and I don't know what its purpose is,

2.) The right thumbstick does not have any affect during a game. Both sticks are enabled and both have horizontal and vertical axes set as Axis X, Axis Y. Why doesn't the right thumbstick work during a game ?

3.) The bottom row of the sticks selection for the controller menu indicates labels for Up, Down, Left, and Right. Are these assigments labels only and where are they applied ?

4.) I cannot see how to assign a button to the thumbstick button, which in cod causes one to run (left stick) or stab (right stick). How does one assign the thumbstick press ?

The documentation, as it is, does not help with these questions so I hope that someone can help. Thanks.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Difficulties with setup

Post by SGTCableDog »

1. A trigger is an analog input usually located on the bottom of a game pad towards the front. The first finger (pointer) of each hand should naturally fall on them. DirectInput normally recognizes the triggers as Axis Z and it shared between the two triggers. This means the axis is reported as the difference in the amount of travel between the triggers, if you squeeze both triggers the same amount then there would be no difference and therefore no axis input. The 360 controller can use XInput which doesn't have this limitation and both triggers are independant. Some controller may not have analog trigger (with axis input) but simple buttons for the triggers.

2. The axis' of the right stick should be RX and RY. You may have to adjust this with the ds3drv device driver.

3. They are labels only and are for user info only. Useful if you have a flight throttle quadrant and want to be clear which axis represents each lever.

4. The thumbstick buttons are detected in the button section of the Controller Settings (layout creation). On the 360 controller these are buttons nine and ten.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Other questions”