my questions about left stick and wasd

rossharris121

my questions about left stick and wasd

Post by rossharris121 »

is it possible to move at angles different than the 8 possible directions i am thinking of while messing around with the emulation software(xpadder). I know when you move the mouse you can move in all types of directions almost infinite. However if i am limited to just 8 directions for pc play then i would definately get wooped if others didn't have that problem. Is there anycompicated mouse that might have extra buttons i can assign the left stick to to have a more fluid movement than just 8 basic directions. I know when i play ps3 i can go forward the move right just a little and i will go at like a 5 degree angle but i think it is limited to like 0/45/90 etc. for wasd keys on my pc. any input?

rossharris121

Re: my questions about left stick and wasd

Post by rossharris121 »

actually i think xpadder is limited in the mouse outputs just like wasd. I noticed the sight only moves in like 8 directions like the character moves. I guess not having controller support for pc games actually sucks in the long run.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

For WASD you are limited to the eight directions because using the keyboard you are still limited to the eight directions- the game is the limiting factor here.

Xpadders mouse emulation has a few different modes. You can adjust these settings by clicking the assignment group icon (wrench in a circle) and choosing "Mouse settings..."

The default mode is Look/Camera which filters the mouse output to the eight directions. The Cursor mode applies no filters so the mouse can move in any direction. Spring mode places the mouse cursor in the same relative position of the stick.

rossharris121

Post by rossharris121 »

if i use the cursor or spring for the looking motion in my first person shooter but am limited to the wasd for my movement could i hook up like two mouses somehow one for each stick and use the cursor or spring for movement as well?

rossharris121

Post by rossharris121 »

i tested and it seems even on cursor or spring the mouse is limited to angles of 22.5 or greater to the vertical and horizontal axis. Anyone able to confirm that this is true. I tried just moving the mouse by itself and with the controller i guess mice and keyboard inputs are limited to a jagged movement. If you try tracing a circle with the mouse by itslef or with the right stick it is nearly impossible as the mouse must understand things in a angle way to a circular way. this differs greatly from console games.

rossharris121

Post by rossharris121 »

i think the problem is the keyboard is discrete and i think so is the mouse. Trying to get the same functionality as a ANALOG stick might take a lot of tweaking.

rossharris121

Post by rossharris121 »

i think i am on to something. In call of duty you can also add four more keys to the controls for movement and look these include turn left and turn right for movement and look up and look down for looking. This would give me six possible keys for each movement and looking. I will mess around and see how many possibilities for movement and looking this now creates.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

rossharris121 wrote:i tested and it seems even on cursor or spring the mouse is limited to angles of 22.5 or greater to the vertical and horizontal axis. Anyone able to confirm that this is true. I tried just moving the mouse by itself and with the controller i guess mice and keyboard inputs are limited to a jagged movement. If you try tracing a circle with the mouse by itslef or with the right stick it is nearly impossible as the mouse must understand things in a angle way to a circular way. this differs greatly from console games.
I just tested this, it seems you need to increase the diagnal size in the Stick settings.

rossharris121

Post by rossharris121 »

I want to consider this post closed. I found out that the things i am describing are limitation of the game. the discrete inputs are because of the game not xpadder.

rossharris121

Post by rossharris121 »

i think something to consider is the possibility of using the mouse wheel for movement. when you click on a button in xpadder there are i think four possible wheel directions that are available which if could work independently of mouse movement could provide a variable output that i want for movement. I have just played around with this and couldn't get it to work in the game but got it to work in xpadder. Any input anyone?

rossharris121

Post by rossharris121 »

i found out someting cool. when i turn free look off in modern warfare 2 i am to get variable movement in the vertical direction by assigning the mouse to the vertical direction for my controller. This is a big break through. I turn the mouse speed to max and i am able to walk very slow and the also as fast as the gam will let me. Hopefully i can expand on this though

rossharris121

Post by rossharris121 »

sweet! i am good to go now for vertical and horiztonal movement with of the left stick. You have to set hold strafe to something on you keyboard. for example k is mine. Then you have to set free look to off in modern warfare 2. Then all you do is use this setup below. also you have to use max emulation speed for left stick and then max mouse sensitivity in modern warfare. If anyone wants to contribute i am no moving on to fixing a little bug with this. When i just move forwards right left backwards i don't have a problem but when i go in a circle i get a problem with it jumping to the left or right... will try to work out kinks.
;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
Version=2010.06.03
Name=(Untitled profile)
Set1Stick1UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick1UpMouseSpeed=255
Set1Stick1UpMouseMode=Cursor
Set1Stick1RightSlots=K,Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick1RightMouseSpeed=255
Set1Stick1RightMouseMode=Cursor
Set1Stick1DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick1DownMouseSpeed=255
Set1Stick1DownMouseMode=Cursor
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=K,Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick1LeftMouseSpeed=255
Set1Stick1LeftMouseMode=Cursor

rossharris121

Post by rossharris121 »

alright problem sort of fixed but still trying to make it simpler. If hold strafe is toggled to on then the mouse turn left/right doesn't ever work with out the strafe. where as the code above when i go to the diagonals for some reason if i go to the diagonal quick the strafe like operates slower and doesn't do it. My next task is to work on the look/ aim it is similar but i found out you can't hold strafe and hold look at same time so i dunno.

Return to “Other questions”