Disgruntled

duggan2169

Disgruntled

Post by duggan2169 »

So, I bought this application 20minutes ago, hoping to be able to play GTA San Andreas with an xbox 360 controller, a popular game with a popular controller. I used the profile listed here, after figuring out on my own that when you buy the product you are given a version that is outdated by 6 months. And, now, in the game the "Y" button makes me punch and look behind me, so if I try to fight someone it makes my camera freak out. I've tried resetting the game's config to mouse & keyboard, to gamepad, to defaults with each of these, and none of this works. Can I get a refund, or some help maybe?

duggan2169

Re: Disgruntled

Post by duggan2169 »

Also every once in a while the "B" button on the xbox 360 controller will bring me to the desktop? Many of the controls in the game do two functions and there is no telling which you will get when you press the button. "A" button will jump and punch. This controller is brand new, and there is no "bleed over" in any other game I play that has built in support for 360 controllers, like Fallout NV.

I figure I'll paste the code I'm using, since it may be relevent.
Last edited by Primal Fear on 12 Jan 2012, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed profile as moving the topic into help forum

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

GTA:SA has a native controller support. This is the reason why some (technically all) of the buttons have two function, one directly with the game and one via Xpadder. Either you use the ingame support and not Xpadder, or you have to unmap all controller assignments in the games.
Alternatively you can disconnect the controller (if it is wireless, simply turn out) before starting the game and reconnect when the game runs. Then the game will not detect the controller and so will not accept input directly from it.
duggan2169 wrote:Also every once in a while the "B" button on the xbox 360 controller will bring me to the desktop?
This happens while you walk (Alt) and press B (Tab). Since this a Windows shortcut it makes trouble. I have already fixed this in the profile.

duggan2169

Post by duggan2169 »

The right joystick will not work as a mouse. Why is the left joystick bound to Alt W, Alt A, Alt S, Alt D? Why not just WASD?

edit: the right joystick will work as a mouse, even in the game menus, but not in game. I have made sure no other buttons are being pressed. There is no way for me to move the camera in game. Essentially unplayable, as you'll just die really easily since you cannot look around, move your aiming, etc.

duggan2169

Post by duggan2169 »

okay, i got the right joystick to work by switching to mouse + kb in the config. I didn't think I would have to, because I started the game with the controller unplugged, like you said. Once I got into the game, I connected it and it still detected it I guess.

Now I just need to switch it a little. With "up" on the left joystick bound to w(accelerate), and down bound to s(brake) you cant do wheelies, and it is awkward to drive. But it does work now, to a degree.

You've been very helpful. Is there a way, though, that I can force the game to ignore my controller? So I don't have to do this sillyness everytime I want to play?

duggan2169

Post by duggan2169 »

I see what you did with the code now. I don't get how that translates into alt + w, but ignorance is bliss I guess. With the mouse working, everything works smoothly. Thanks for the help.

I would still like to know if you can force a game to ignore a controller or any easier way to block it...or something?

Thanks again.

duggan2169

Post by duggan2169 »

combat in the game feels very unnatural. i can only punch "forward". If I face a guy that is inbetween my character and the camera, when I punch, my character does a 180 and punches in the direction the camera is facing. I set key bindings in game to default.

Also, is it not possible to completely replicate the controls used on an actual xbox 360? The whole deal with the select button changing the key bindings is why I ask.

Thanks again.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

duggan2169 wrote:Why is the left joystick bound to Alt W, Alt A, Alt S, Alt D? Why not just WASD?
This assignment works with Distance Zones. So it will trigger different assignments, depending on on how far you press the stick.
0-50% X+W (formerly Alt+W)"Walk, 50-95% W "Run", 95-100% Space+W "Sprint".
duggan2169 wrote:okay, i got the right joystick to work by switching to mouse + kb in the config. I didn't think I would have to, because I started the game with the controller unplugged, like you said. Once I got into the game, I connected it and it still detected it I guess.
Yes, you have to select keyboard and mouse since Xpadder input is exactly that. The mouse doesn't work for me too if I select "Joypad". Sadly this selection doesn't doesn't work completely in this game. So this disconnection thing is still necessary. It works for most games, and at least for me here too.
duggan2169 wrote:I would still like to know if you can force a game to ignore a controller or any easier way to block it...or something?
Principally yes, but it is much work. In the control settings are assignments called joy*, these are the controller button. If you remove them all, the would still detect controller but the buttons wouldn't work anymore. Since you can only delete all assignments for one action (by pressing Backspace while having the mouse arrow over it) and then you have the redo the keyboard assignments. It is not really worth it, I think.
duggan2169 wrote:combat in the game feels very unnatural. i can only punch "forward". If I face a guy that is inbetween my character and the camera, when I punch, my character does a 180 and punches in the direction the camera is facing. I set key bindings in game to default.
This is still the problem with the direct controller input. The controller sends "hit" and Xpadder "look back".
Due to the standard key setting, for my fixed profile you should not forget to assign the key "X" for "Walk".
duggan2169 wrote:Also, is it not possible to completely replicate the controls used on an actual xbox 360? The whole deal with the select button changing the key bindings is why I ask.
The game automatically switches the control settings for the controller if you enter a vehicle. It does this not for keyboard and mouse. Since Xpadder cannot know when you enter a car, this manual switch is necessary.
Because of this feature of the game, I would want to suggest to use the native gamepad support. But then I tried it and recognized that it won't work with the analog triggers. Edit: Also the right stick doesn't work, so alone it is pretty useless.
But there could be something possible by massively editing the keyboard mapping in the game to create an opportunity to make a universal profile. :?: I will take a look on this this evening.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I have an almost perfect solution here.

duggan2169

Post by duggan2169 »

You've been far more helpful than I expected. I will try your newest solution.

Return to “Other questions”