Xpadder and Windows 7

608f3e67

Xpadder and Windows 7

Post by 608f3e67 »

In windows 7 the program works but the configurations saved aren't seen by the program in the taskbar (in background) and so it doesn't work. If I try the configuration file from the icon in the task bar looks that there aren't configuration files in the folder even if in the folder under sistem file manager they are seen.
???
Why?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Xpadder and Windows 7

Post by FARSTRIDER »

well if my copy of 7 comes in tomorrow i could try it. since enterprize has some differances

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

I'm using Xpadder v5.5 in Windows 7 right now and it works fine.

So you managed to create a controller file but profile's will not open?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

got my copy but have yet to install it

fynesr2

Post by fynesr2 »

Hi, I just bought a copy of Xpadder and downloaded v5.6 I'm running Windows 7 Pro (x64). Every time I open Xpadder, its as if I'm opening it for the first time, I get about 7 or 8 message boxes for setting language, file association, intro messages etc. I'm not too bothered about that, but the program refuses to acknowledge any configurations that I save.

When I try to load one by double clicking the saved configuration file, I get the same deal that I mentioned above, and when I get through all the message boxes, the config hasn't loaded. If I try to load a config file from inside Xpadder, through the menu, then the file loads all buttons that I enabled for that configuration, but no keys have been mapped to any buttons.

The end result is that I have to re-map every key to every button every time I want to use a controller. Fun! Anyone any ideas how to solve this? Or is it a bug?

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

thats odd. is the Xpadder.exe in a folder? if so is that folder somehow write protected? What must be happening is that Xpadder is not creating the .ini file that it creates when you first start Xpadder for the first time. it looks for the .ini configuration file and if its not there it runs through those messages to set it up. Look in the folder that Xpadder is in and make sure its create a .ini configuration file.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Are you also saving the profile? The configuration file is for the controller setup and the profile file is the key and mouse assignments. Two seperate files, one for the controller and one for each game, program, ect.

As for the Xpadder startup issue. When you first start Xpadder it looks for the xpadder.ini file, it is saved in the same folder as the xpadder.exe file that is run. If it doesn't find the ini file it will fo through the first run dialogs. The ini file is saved when Xpadder is closed by right clicking the Xpadder icon in the notification area/system tray or when Windows is shut down. Your problem must be Xpadder not finding or creating the ini file.

What folder is the xpadder.exe file run from? I know in Vista if you manually put it in the Program Files folder, Windows will prevent programs running with least-privileged user account (not run as administrator, a security feature of Vista and Win7s UAC) from writing to the Program Files folder but instead saves any such files in the user virtual store. For example, if you run Xpadder from C:\Program Files\Xpadder\Xpadder.exe then the ini file would be saved in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Xpadder\xpadder.ini

If this is the case try moving and running Xpadder from a different folder.

mnl beat me to it ~SGTCableDog

fynesr2

Post by fynesr2 »

It seems both your suggestions were right on the money. The .ini file is not being created, which explains that part. I checked the file permissions for the folder (C:\InternetDownloads\Applications\Xpadder) and it seems to be set to read-only (or partially, anyway, the check box is filled, but not ticked). When I try to clear the box, I'm prompted for a confirmation, and when I go back in afterwards, its back to the way it was.

But I can actually save both profile and controller save files to that folder (I've tried other folders too, with the same result), and the files do physically appear in the folder. But right after saving these files and seeing them appear in the folder, if I close down Xpadder, I'm prompted with the "If you close without saving you'll lose the configuration etc" message. Its obviously a Windows 7 problem that I'm not seeing, since others have no problems with Xpadder on this OS. Maybe its because of the missing .ini file? I wonder if I could get one manually and stick it into the directory? But I suppose I'll need to sort this out sooner or later, it might affect other programs working properly.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

The INI file remembers which controller and profile to use for each controller. While your controller and profile files are saving Xpadder cannot automatically open them because it is not being allowed to make note of what they are. Until the INI is saving correctly you will have to manually open them.

Yes you can place an INI in the same folder as Xpadder and it will run as if it had created it. The path names are all relative so it should work even if you created the INI file in a different folder.

There is a feature in Xpadder where setting the INI file to read-only will prevent it from being overwritten. This is by design in case you have the INI set exactly how you want it and never want it to change after the initial setup.

In your case it would be nice if Xpadder said "Hey I can't write into this folder at all" but instead it's just silently failing. I will fix this in the next version.

In the meantime check this link out.

brdffxi2014

Post by brdffxi2014 »

i bought xpadder for windows 7 and i set up a saved controller setting when i turned off my computer xpadder did not turn on when i started my pc again and i cant find the program anywhere how can i load it up?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Xpadder will not start with Windows unless you set it to in the options. Try searching for "Xpadder" using Windows Explorer. If you cannot find it then you can redownload it again from the forum.

Return to “Other questions”