Using Xpadder with Steam.

Cuzzin Chizzy

Using Xpadder with Steam.

Post by Cuzzin Chizzy »

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on how to get around an annoyance using Xpadder with Steam.

I currently have Xpadder start with a "mouse" profile I made, so that I can use my 360 controller to navigate windows upon hitting the home button. I then start Steam and pick a game.

The only problem with this setup, was that every time I downloaded a new game on Steam, with 360 pad support, I had to create a blank profile for said game so that my default "mouse" profile didn't clash with the controller messages. While not extremely hard to do, the extra work of having to set a new profile up for every game seemed clunky.

The other day I learned of the <none> <default> option under autoprofile. I have since been using this to open up a blank profile when an unlisted program starts. This has fixed my issue with controller conflicts between the "mouse" profile and the 360 pad. I no longer have to make a blank profile for every new game I get that supports the 360 pad, as any unrecognized game automatically opens a blank profile.

The problem that I have now is that many Steam games have launchers associated with them, and when I click on the game to start it, the opening of the launcher set's my Xpadder profile to the blank profile and I lose control. I know that I can have the auto profile watch for these launchers and keep my "mouse" profile open, but this is not too far from my original problem of having to make a profile for every single game.

Basically, I want to use my 360 controller as a mouse to navigate windows until I open a game and then have it not interfere with games with controller support. If I set it up right, the only new profiles I'd have to make in Xpadder would be for games with no/partial controller support.

Thanks for any tips :D !

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Using Xpadder with Steam.

Post by Primal Fear »

The only alternative I see is going back to your first possibility and creating the possibility in your default profile to switch to an empty set when holding Back and then pressing Start and the the other way around to come back.
Like that:

Code: Select all

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2013.06.07
Name=empty
Set2StickDeadZones=104,64
Set2DPadMode=FourWay
Set2Stick1Mode=FourWay
Set1Button7Toggle=1
Set1Button7Turbo=1
Set1Button7TurboRate=2