Gas and Brakes

schoolmasta

Gas and Brakes

Post by schoolmasta »

I would like to set the right trigger of my xbox 360 controller to axis Z+, as it is, but for the Axis Z- to be the button right above it. I relize that it is not optimal for a button to be an analog control, so in that case I would like it to give only about 35% for a shrot pause and then go to maximum (or some thing like this). Is this possible? How might I map this out? Take it easy on me I don't really know much about computers.

Thanks

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Gas and Brakes

Post by SGTCableDog »

You can not remap axis' or buttons on the controller with Xpadder. But if there is a keyboard equivalant then you may by able use Xpadder to create an advanced assignment to the shoulder button.

schoolmasta

Post by schoolmasta »

SGTCableDog wrote:You can not remap axis' or buttons on the controller with Xpadder. But if there is a keyboard equivalant then you may by able use Xpadder to create an advanced assignment to the shoulder button.
Alright, so your saying if I map all the controlls via key board assignment, and then just set my game to use the keyboard, I can make the "shoulder" button whatever I want, but would any of the controlls be analog?

I guess my question is, is there a way to map keyboard inputs as analog controls like on the game pad, like with the trigger for example?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

If the game has support for analog input then there is no need to make any assignment to the sticks or triggers, just let the game handle those. If there some buttons that aren't supported by the game like the shoulder buttons then you can assign keys to those. You can also assign keys (and macros) to the sticks and triggers of the controller if the game does not support those. The only true analog output that Xpadder can directly output is mouse movement. Mouse assignments are proportional to amount of deflection of the stick, farther from center, the faster it will move (as limited by the adjustable mouse emulation speed).

Did I answer your question? Or are you asking if you can use the keyboard as input and output analog controller control to a game? Then the answer is not with Xpadder.

fluxenstien

Post by fluxenstien »

WE SERITOUSLLY NEED ANALOG IMPROVEMENTS,Saying that Xpadder dont or wont support this is outrageous... Basiclly Xpadder is just like logitechs keyboard asignment software...

if you want to stand out in the crowd this would be implimented
[REAL Controller]////[VIRTUAL Controller]
[Selected Device] TO [Controller Emulation]

i wil await your reply. :ugeek:

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Emulating axes to completely different to reading them or emulating keypresses.
While emulating a virtual controller is technically possible it is not the actual goal of Xpadder although it is understandable why it feels that it should be.

hazard763-fv

Post by hazard763-fv »

If you want to simulate analog behavior in digital technology you usually use PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). I'd suggest this for xpadder too, but haven't found a way to implement it yet. I'm new to xpadder (and english really is not my native language) so excuse if I might express incorrectly what I want to implement:

Trigger zone 1 (1-33%): Up (64ms) +Pause (64ms) +repeat as long as held
Trigger zone 2 (34-66%): Up (128ms) +Pause (64ms) +repeat as long as held
Trigger zone 3 (67-100%): Up

I chose a pause of 64ms because I suspect that digital debouncing algorithms wouldn't allow more accurate clock levels. The hold and pause intervals could be altered to personal gusto or game features. Some might not allow the intervals to be that short, then you could just use whole number factors to make it digestable for the game.

Now please Jonathan or anyone else: Tell me how to implement this in Xpadder. It should work with most rallye games.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Well, we currently have this. And your idea with binary system should bring it to the best possible level. :D

But I have doubts that it works that perfect with games as you think.
In my earlier test with this pulsing (but without the idea of a binary system) I had the problem that the wheels didn't reacted properly while steering. Also the motor sound is strange with that and the binary system would not change that.

hazard763-fv

Post by hazard763-fv »

Cool, that's quite what I thought of.

After solving a problem with my crappy Saitek Gamepad I implemented it and it worked so far. My problem now is: I'd like to have a none-pulsing just "up" when I'm at 75%-100%. I have no idea how to do that, what I tried was to put 20 "up" and 20 pause of 0.00 in a row, but it still pulses.

About strange motor sound: When I don't have a trigger, I do this pulse-thing with the keys anyway, only that it's really uncomfortable to hit it like 5 times a second just in order to slow down. A trigger would make it easier to steer, nothing more.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Well, my suggestion for that would have been the 0.00 Pauses. :?

I you open the Xpadder Setting you can select "Keyboard" on the left and so open a keyboard test. Activate the checkbox "Test enabled" and try out this assignment with the 0.00 pauses. If you didn't made any failure it should be detect it as hold all the time.
So if the game doesn't detect it, there will be no way to make it working with the current version of Xpadder.
But Jonathan has big change in work called "SlotMachine". When it is ready, it should be possible to select a own turbo rate for each Distance Zone and so for the last Distance Zone no Turbo at all.
hazard763-fv wrote:About strange motor sound: When I don't have a trigger, I do this pulse-thing with the keys anyway, only that it's really uncomfortable to hit it like 5 times a second just in order to slow down. A trigger would make it easier to steer, nothing more.
That's also a good point of view. Either all the time full throttle or a crappy motor sound.

Edit: Also another tip.
Xpadder normally presses Sequences every time completely, except another Sequence will be triggered with this trigger (or stick direction, or button). So if you release the trigger the gas will be still pulsed until the Sequence in the first (or at release better last) Distance Zone is on the end. To prevent this, make a first distance zone with at least 10% with only a Pause in it with at least 0.01s.
So, 0.01 Pause; 10% Distance Zone;... (and then your pulsing assignments).

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Oke_Doke »

fascinating stuff, you should post an example profile to demonstrate your theories.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I have posted the example in the... official thread.

Return to “Other questions”