Crysis help.

vondissimo

Crysis help.

Post by vondissimo »

Hey guys. Just bought and fine tuned Xpadder to suit my 360 controller. All that was pretty easy to do.

I'm however finding problems in trying to use it in game. The game I'm currently trying to use it for is Crysis.

It keeps on reverting back to the default controller layout and setting and I can't find a way to get my settings to work.

Help please =[

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Crysis help.

Post by mnl1121 »

Have you saved your game profile that you made? There is the controller profile (where you set up your controller) and then there is the game profile (which is where you assign your keyboard and/or mouse movements to your 360 controller). Also when do your settings revert back to your default settings?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

So I take it that Crysis has native controller support. I not familiar with this game. If there is not an option to disable controller support in the game menu then you may be able to manually edit a configuration file. Or you can try starting the game without the controller connected and connect the controller after the game is started. As long as you have your Crysis profile loaded before you disconnect the control it will be loaded when you reconnect the controller.

mnl beat me to it.

vondissimo

Post by vondissimo »

Yeah, I have created a saved my desired profile. I've been using it to muck around in general on my laptop to make sure I've got it as I want it.

Crysis does have its own default. Which you can't change. As soon as you plug in the controller it reverts back to the normal settings that comes with the game.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

oh ok i get it. We have another user who doesn't know how Xpadder works thats all. Ok first you have to understand that Xpadder in NO way "sees" or "talks" to your game (and the other way around). Xpadder only "talks" to your Operating System. You must either disable controller support in Crysis or not use Xpadder.

So Crysis doesn't enable controller support, start the game withOUT your controller plugged in. Once fully started, plug in your controller. This way the game doesn't detect your controller and doesn't' enable controller support. This should work, unless Crysis checks in real-time if you have a controller plugged in, but no games that i know of do that. Hope that helps in understanding a little more how Xpadder works.

vondissimo

Post by vondissimo »

Not to sound like an arse because I do appreciate the help being offered but when I said:
vondissimo wrote: As soon as you plug in the controller it reverts back to the normal settings that comes with the game.
I mean, during the actual game. Like, I can load up my save game or a new game, dilly dally about with the mouse and keyboard and then plug in the controller and it'll flash up "GAMEPAD ACTIVATED" and after scouring through the menu's and stuff of Crysis, I couldn't find a option to switch off the controller support as it automatically activates it.

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

Since Crysis has the ability to automatically detect your gamepad, you'll have to find the configuration file for the game (in the Crysis folder) and find the options that handle controller input... and basically fubar it so it can no longer use controllers.

I personally don't game on the PC (never saw the point), but I've heard of similar issues with other games that insist on using either the controller (when it gets plugged in) or the keyboard... but never giving the user the option to select WHICH to use. That's as annoying and stupid as giving you full controller support, but no choice in button binding. But, I digress.

You'll need to find either a .ini or .cfg file, and look for the gamepad entries. This, I can't help you with. Like... at all.

But thankfully, M, and Cable both know gobs about this, so just wait for their reply.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

vondissimo wrote:Not to sound like an arse because I do appreciate the help being offered but when I said:
vondissimo wrote: As soon as you plug in the controller it reverts back to the normal settings that comes with the game.
I mean, during the actual game. Like, I can load up my save game or a new game, dilly dally about with the mouse and keyboard and then plug in the controller and it'll flash up "GAMEPAD ACTIVATED" and after scouring through the menu's and stuff of Crysis, I couldn't find a option to switch off the controller support as it automatically activates it.
oh sorry i missed that in your post. In that case you can possibly try and find what TBD mentioned. There could be a .ini or .cfg file in the crysis folder somewhere that may allow you to deactivate controller support for the game. However it is a more recent game and most recent games no longer allow you to do this as all the configuration files are all bundled together with files you cannot read. If that is the case then there is probably isn't anything you can do.

EDIT: a quick look at Tweakquide's guide for Crysis shows that there isn't any way to turn off controller support. I may have missed it though so if you want to look for yourself you can here: http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_1.html

There are .cfg files though. Possibly the author just didn't cover all the files. Look for a .cfg file that may have line relating to joystick or gamepad support. If it is a line that says something like enablejoystick = 1, change that 1 to a 0. That would in theory turn off controller support. Hope that helps and good luck in your search.

vondissimo

Post by vondissimo »

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll give it a bash over the next week and report back with any working method I can find. Might help out in future.

Cheers again.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I found a reference on the myCrysis forum. There is a file under My Documents>My Games>Crysis Profiles>actionmaps.xml First make a backup of this file incase the game dorks up. Open this file in Notepad and find all the instances of <key name="xi_***_***"/>. These are the XInput mapings. Example:

Code: Select all

<action name="hud_buy_weapons" onPress="1">
<key name="p"/>
<key name="xi_dpad_right"/>
You should be able to delete the lines with the xi as in the third line, leaving the first two intact. I don't have the game but am downloading the demo. I don't know how many of these lines are but the 360 controller has 10 buttons, 4 DPad directions, 2 sticks of 2 axis' each, and 2 triggers. Now with all the in game XInput mappings gone, Xpadder can use its profile to file in. I'm going out of time for work so won't be able to check with the demo until this weekend.

Smi1ey

Post by Smi1ey »

I was also planning on buying Xpadder mainly for Crysis, and I want to know if this works before I do. Has anyone had a chance to try this out yet? From what I've heard, even if you edit the ActionMaps.xml file, the game will create a new one after it launches. If someone has gotten their Xbox controller to work with Xpadder and Crysis, post up! The default button layout is horrible for Crysis, and makes it quite hard to play with an Xbox controller, even if though it's natively supported in the game.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

From what I know there is no option to deactivate controller support for Crysis. It also detects your controller on-the-fly which means you can't even keep your controller unplugged until the game starts so it doesn't detect it and thus disables controller support. A quick google search didn't reveal much, however there is someone on another forum with your exact question. Someone said there is a console command and to PM him for the answer (WHY!?!?! that doesn't help the rest of the world :shock: ). So it looks like there is a way through the console. I tried looking for such a command through a website I use but didn't find anything (TweakGuides.com). Maybe you will have better luck.

smi1ey

Post by smi1ey »

Thank you for looking around for me! I'll see what I can find and reply here if it works.

smi1ey

Post by smi1ey »

So I figured it out, but it can't be done using Xpadder. You will have to manually modify the actionmap.xml file to map the appropriate Xbox controller buttons to the appropriate actions. I'm not sure, but even after removing all of the key name commands in the XML file, and then making the XML file read only (so it can't be overwritten automatically, which is what normally happens), the game still recognized about half of the original controls, and the other half it got from Xpadder. It was really weird.

Anyways, the XML file is pretty self explanatory, so I am going to modify it (for some reason modifying the file doesn't cause it to be over written) to make the controls closer to Modern Warfare 2. I would love to post this file for those interested, but how do I go about getting an account here? I don't see a way to make one myself. Is there something special that needs to be done so I don't have to keep posting as a guest?

smi1ey

Post by smi1ey »

Alrighty I have a modified actionmap.xml file ready to go whenever Johnathan can get the "Elite Accounts" going. Although this won't use Xpadder, I did purchase the program anyways to support. I figure having a solution for Crysis could help bring people to this site, considering it's literally nowhere else. Here is the mapping for the 360 controller for when I do post it:

Right Trigger: Fire
Left Trigger: Ironsight / Binocs Zoom-In
Right Bumper: Suit Menu
Left Bumper: Binocs/Exit Binoz Zoom Mode
A: Jump
B: Melee
X: Reload/Use/Turn on sprinting (can't turn off)
Y: Grenade
D-pad Left: Switch weapons
D-pad Right: Switch grenades
D-pad Up: Toggle Fire Mode
D-pad Down: Toggle Prone
Left Thumbstick: Toggle Night Vision
Right Thumbstick: Crouch
Back: Toggle Weapon Customization
Start: Toggle Map

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Thank you for sharing the solution with us. Since you bought Xpadder you should have gotten your login credentials by email. Jon is trying something new so it is possible something went wrong. If you can't find your login credentials please reply back.

smi1ey

Post by smi1ey »

Unfortunately I didn't receive anything, unless there's a long delay or something. The email that I used was mrsmiley (at) halobabies (dot) net. Once I get a login, I'll just make a new thread for it if that's cool. Again, it won't work with Xpadder because of the way they designed the game, but it will make people happy who have been trying to get the game to work with a 360 controller! Just played several hours to tweak the controls, and they feel much more natural now. :)

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Ok since you are having problems please post in this thread stating that you didn't receive your login details (the thread is really for forgetting your login details). Jon should know whats going on.

http://xpadder.com/phpBB3.0.5/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=669

Return to “Other questions”