Logitech Dual Action PC controller not working

reo5

Logitech Dual Action PC controller not working

Post by reo5 »

I am trying to configure my LDA controller to work with Modern Warfare 2 and have had absolutely no success. I have mapped it three times, uninstalled/reinstalled the software (with a clean registry wipe) yet the only button that works is #4. None of the triggers work, none of the "joy sticks" work, and the D-Pad is dead. I also submitted this question three days ago but can't find it listed and I am still awaiting a response. If the issue cannot be resolved I would like a refund on my purchase. Thank you.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Logitech Dual Action PC controller not working

Post by mnl1121 »

A lot of people have Dual Actions so we know they work and MW2 has no issues with Xpadder so we know that works to. That leaves how you configured everything. So lets go through the basics.

Do you have proper drivers installed? If yes, then we move on to have you created a proper controller layout (as detailed in this tutorial: http://xpadder.com/phpBB3.0.5/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19)? If yes then did you create a game profile (as detailed in this tutorial: http://xpadder.com/phpBB3.0.5/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21)?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I see you found the download. You previously posted your problem in the MW2 profile topic and mnl replied to that post with the same suggestion. I too recommend browsing the tutorials. You must first create a controller layout, this will let Xpadder know which axis is associated with each stick and buttons to its DirectInput data. This only needs to be done once for each different controller you want to use with Xpadder. Then you can paste the profile for MW2. The profiles are the key bindings and mousemovements assigned to each button and stick. You need one for each game or program you want to use your controller with.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

You previously posted your problem in the MW2 profile topic and mnl replied to that post with the same suggestion.
OMG I did! :shock: Have you even bothered taking my suggestions?

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

Also, please make sure that you have elevated Xpadder to have Administation privilage (ensure Xpadder is closed, and go to the folder you've placed Xpadder in and elevate it through the properties menu). Many games in Vista and Win 7 get elevated to run as Administrator, which is fine... usually... but Xpadder can't interact with games and programs that are elevated unless you also elevate Xpadder.

That is likely the problem you're having.

But also, you need to have a working controller configuration, and profile too. Without these set up, Xpadder is useless.

reo5

Post by reo5 »

mnl1121

Sorry for the delay. I checked to see if I had downloaded the correct driver and I had so now I need to figure out if I mapped it correctly and make sure I run it as an admin. Since I work full time and attend college my time online is somewhat limited so my responses are a bit behind the time line. I thought I had originally sent my request to this forum but I was obviously wrong. Now that I made sure it's in the right forum, I'll try to map it and get vack to you before the weekend is over. Thanks again.

speedwagon

reo5

Post by reo5 »

Well, I've mapped it exactly the way it shows in the tutorial and it still won't work. I have the latest drivers for the controller and even checked to make sure the buttons work when I press them (they light up green on the xpadder software when I press them). I even opened Word and pressed the button on the controller and watched the letters I assigned to the buttons appear in the document as I pressed the controller buttons: E for melee, r for reload, etc. But when I start the game and try to use the controller, nothing works. I have no "look" function, no "fire" function, nada. I've programmed controllers before (using the Logitech Gaming software) and have never had this problem. Any suggestions?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

It is most likely a user elevation issue. You'll need to run Xpadder as administrator. Fully close Xpadder by right clicking its icon in the notification area/system tray and choose "Close". Then right click the xpadder.exe appliction file in Explorer and choose "Run as administrator...", click through the dialogs using your physical mouse and restart your game. Everything should now be working.

I found out with COD4 that if you play on-line, PunkBuster silently runs with privledged credentials. Microsofts UAC will prevent a program running in the least priviledged user space from interacting with a program running elevated credentials. This is a limitation of the game and PunkBuster and not with Xpadder. :D

reo5

Post by reo5 »

I am running the program as an administrator and it's still not working correctly. If the buttons work correctly while I am in Word (see previous message), why won't the controller work when I'm online? I mean, it's not like they react incorrectly, they flat out don't work at all. Obviously, the controller has been mapped correctly or I would see and "R" show up in a Word document when I press button 1 on the controller. Yet when I am online and press button 1, nothing happens.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Which game are you trying to play using Xpadder? It may have an anti-cheat/hack software that is blocking Xpadder. If thats the case then there is nothing we can do. Also you are elevating Xpadder, not your game correct?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Try running Word or Notepad as administrator and test the profile. I'm still under the impression that Xpadder is running with standard user priviledge. To properly close Xpadder you must right click the icon in the notification area/system tray.

reo5

Post by reo5 »

I'm trying to play Modern Warfare 2 and yes, I am elevating Xpadder. Thx!

reo5

Post by reo5 »

I don't have xpadder set up to automatically start, so the only way it will run is when I right click it and run it as an admin.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Just to be clear, Xpadder by default will start minimized when Windows is started. Unless you changed this in Xpadders settings, it is starting with Windows. Have you tried running Word as administrator and testing?

reo5

Post by reo5 »

Yes, I have changed the settings in Xpadder so it does not start automatically. I am very comfortable around computers, having owned one and ripped many apart to repair since the late 1980's (I grew up using DOS not Windows) . I usually most PC problems on my own which is why this is so frustrating. I run my PC in administrator mode 90% of the time using the code: [net user Administrator /active:yes] from the cmd window, this allows me to run my PC in the true admin mode.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

That command enables the administrator account at the Windows login screen, do you normally use your computer with this account?

reo5

Post by reo5 »

Yes, my previous email indicated I run my PC in administrator mode 90% of the time but it has made no difference which mode I am in since I have tried it in both modes. Even when not running my PC in Admin mode I run Xpadder as an administrator.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Have you tried testing with Word ot Notepad run as administrator? Are you running any special security software that may isolate elevated programs? For the life of me I can't think of a reason that would prevent it working while Xpadder is run as administrator.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

I can't think of whats wrong either. Plenty of people use Xpadder with the Rumblepad and MW2. Like Cable said the only thing left seems to be security programs that might be blocking or interfering with Xpadder. Its possible that a security program may be seeing Xpadder as a keylogger and could be blocking it.

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

I know that when I start up ANY version of Xpadder (for the first time only) Kaspersky (2009 and 2010) treat it with lowest "elevation" privilage to start, until you allow it to run in a trusted group. If you're using an anti-virus software, this might be what's limiting you... because even if you set a program to run with higher elevation, until you do the same with your anti-virus, it will have absolutely no effect.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

That's why I asked to test the profile with Word or Notepad run as administrator. I'll keep asking until I get an answer. 8-)

reo5

Post by reo5 »

My AntiVirus software has a game mode setting. I'm going to look into that and see if it has any effect on the problem. I have also ordered the PC version of the XBox 360 controller which will hopefully work better than the Logitech controller.

reo5

Post by reo5 »

SGTCableDog wrote:That's why I asked to test the profile with Word or Notepad run as administrator. I'll keep asking until I get an answer. 8-)
I thought I had indicated I'd already done that without any success. Something is preventing this from working but I can't figure it out.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Xpadder running as administrator did not work with Word running as administrator?

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

SGTCableDog wrote:Xpadder running as administrator did not work with Word running as administrator?
Something is definitely blocking Xpadder if its even preventing you from using Xpadder with notepad.

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

It's likely, as suggested, your anti-virus software. I normally do NOT suggest trying this, but suspend your protection for just a moment or two (what I do, is I first block out networking traffic so I'm not online, and THEN pause my protection), and see if Xpadder magically works with your game, and Notepad, and everything else.

If suddenly, it does... you'll need to go to your anti-virus's Whitelist feature, and add Xpadder to the safe programs tab. Otherwise, Xpadder will never work with elevated games. Ever.

reo5

Post by reo5 »

My new controller arrived today and I installed it and everything works exactly as it should. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions for my dual action controller. I never did get it to work right. I do have a question as to how to go from a crouching position to a prone position. When I press the "B" button on the xbox controller my character crouches but won't go prone.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

WIERD! :evil:

For my profile I use the following advanced assignment: [Hold .5s][CTRL][Release .01s][C][Release .5s]. This assumes the left control key is to go prone and [C] key is crouch. A quick tap, less than half a second, will crouch but hold it longer than half second then it will immediatly go prone. If you need more detailed instructions please post back.

reo5

Post by reo5 »

Yeah, it is/was wierd. Your directions work perfectly. Thanks again. :?

SGTCableDog wrote:WIERD! :evil:

For my profile I use the following advanced assignment: [Hold .5s][CTRL][Release .01s][C][Release .5s]. This assumes the left control key is to go prone and [C] key is crouch. A quick tap, less than half a second, will crouch but hold it longer than half second then it will immediatly go prone. If you need more detailed instructions please post back.

Return to “Other questions”