Using as a total PC remote?

teeth_03

Using as a total PC remote?

Post by teeth_03 »

Heres my idea,I'd like to know if its possible (with a wireless 360 controller).

I want to be able to map all keystrokes to the controller. I am totally ripping this idea off of something I saw a few years ago done on a PSP IM homebrew. Basically, you use one of the joysticks to move in 8 directions selecting a block of keystrokes (but theres 9 total including leaving the stick dead center),then use the 4 main buttons to select the key you want (for 9 * 4 = 36 possible key assignments). Think of a cell phone keypad,with only 9 keys. Each joystick position is the keypad. Each individual letter is one of the 4 main button pressed labeled on each key. So hitting Up/Left + X,for example could be the letter A,Up/left + B could be the letter B and so on.

Then the 2 shoulder buttons could be space and backspace,and the triggers the 2 mouse clicks with the other joystick being mouse movement.

Then the d-pad could either just be arrow keys or another set of modifiers for using characters with D-pad + ABXY = Characters

I would also like a way to switch profiles for gaming. 1 profile for key assignments for all keys,1 for key assignments just for the triggers and 1 profile just with the profile switch enabled. Maybe the profile switch could be like Both Triggers + Both Shoulders Buttons + 1 of the main buttons for each profile (maybe add in a left joystick movement so you wouldnt accidentally switch profiles while playing,tho the use of all 4 back buttons is probably rare enough).

I dont plan on using this in place of a keyboard,but it would be kinda cool if I could setup a keyboard on it so it can kinda be like a remote. Basically I need to know if all these assignments and modifers can be possible.

Thank you

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Using as a total PC remote?

Post by SGTCableDog »

teeth_03 wrote:I want to be able to map all keystrokes to the controller. I am totally ripping this idea off of something I saw a few years ago done on a PSP IM homebrew. Basically, you use one of the joysticks to move in 8 directions selecting a block of keystrokes (but theres 9 total including leaving the stick dead center),then use the 4 main buttons to select the key you want (for 9 * 4 = 36 possible key assignments). Think of a cell phone keypad,with only 9 keys. Each joystick position is the keypad. Each individual letter is one of the 4 main button pressed labeled on each key. So hitting Up/Left + X,for example could be the letter A,Up/left + B could be the letter B and so on.

Then the 2 shoulder buttons could be space and backspace,and the triggers the 2 mouse clicks with the other joystick being mouse movement.

Then the d-pad could either just be arrow keys or another set of modifiers for using characters with D-pad + ABXY = Characters
This is possible using eight-way assignments for the Dpad and using Set modifiers for the ABXY keys. Xpadder allows for upto eight sets per profile. Others have come up with cell phone typing methods where you just hold the stick in a direction for example up for the 2ABC on the hone keypad. You hold it and the character changes with pauses in between. I might revisit this now that Xpadder includes hold and release functions for advanced assignments.
I would also like a way to switch profiles for gaming. 1 profile for key assignments for all keys,1 for key assignments just for the triggers and 1 profile just with the profile switch enabled. Maybe the profile switch could be like Both Triggers + Both Shoulders Buttons + 1 of the main buttons for each profile (maybe add in a left joystick movement so you wouldnt accidentally switch profiles while playing,tho the use of all 4 back buttons is probably rare enough).
Xpadder doesn't currently have the ability to change profiles based on button presses though work arounds involving shortcuts are possible. Xpadder does have an AutoProfile feature that loads a profile based on the current window or program. Version 5.7 currently in beta tweaks this to allow you to browse for the program instead of running the program and then finding it in a recently run dialog. And to add to this, buyers of Xpadder can suggest new features and vote on FeatureX, the next major feature addition after each bersion release.
I dont plan on using this in place of a keyboard,but it would be kinda cool if I could setup a keyboard on it so it can kinda be like a remote. Basically I need to know if all these assignments and modifers can be possible.

Thank you
TBD2009, one of our mods uses Xpadder nearly exclusively for controlling his HTPC.

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

That's right, I do. And what you're asking for is possible... just takes a bit of work.

For starters, I suggest setting up a "Select Set 2, Two-way" button (I used the Back button on my 360 controller), so you have your "Cellphone keypad" on the analog stick (left stick). I used a "Press direction x1 = letter one, x2 = letter two, x3 = letter four" system. What you want to do, is different. You press the stick in a direction, after holding a button down.

What you could do is have X/Y/A/B "Select Set x While held", and in that set have the directional buttons assign your alpha/numeral pad keys.

So for instance Hold X, and press Up-Left for A.

Though... really... that's a heck of a lot of work... especially when you could do what I did. Have a key set up to use the Run Dialog command in windows open up the Virtual Keyboard. That cut down on a HUGE amount of trouble for me, as all I do is click the button, the virtual keyboard pops up, and I use my right stick as a mouse and X as Left-Click. Then when I'm done with it, I can close the keyboard. Easy peasy. ^_^

teeth_03

Post by teeth_03 »

It looks like your thinking backwards of my idea, which is to use the joystick first,then use the ABXY buttons to select the key

When using this particular control scheme on the PSP, it seemed like I could type a lot faster than other methods using a controller (after getting used to it anyway), and I kinda liked it. Its a shame I have only seen this done in a PSP homebrew (but I dont console game much anymore to notice controller typing schemes).\

When you say "Xpadder allows for upto eight sets per profile.",does that mean I could only have set this up with 8 letter inputs per profile?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

teeth_03 wrote:When you say "Xpadder allows for upto eight sets per profile.",does that mean I could only have set this up with 8 letter inputs per profile?
Its supposed to mean that for each button and stick/Dpad direction you can have eight different key or mouse assignments per profile. For example Dpad up could be key [A] in set two, in set three, [C] in set four, [2] in set five, and so on. Then assign button A to select set two while held, button B to select set three while held, and so on. Then in each set you could assign the left trigger to [shift] so you can get capital letters in addition to lower case letters.

A different way to do it is assign Dpad up to select set two while held, up and right to set three and so on. Then in set two assign button A to key [A], button B to , and so on.

With out trying it, I'm currently on a computer without Xpadder, I'm not sure which is best. I think the second method will runn out of sets.

teeth_03

Post by teeth_03 »

I got this to work. I used One-Way mapping of the 8 sets to the left stick (which originally wouldnt change sets untill you moved the stick away from the desired location), but then I set turbo on all the set mappings,so it successfully changes sets as intended

I got the letters and a few characters mapped to the ABXY buttons and numbers and other characters mapped to the D-pad, with the right stick being mouse movement.

I'm gonna work on using the Select button to change between different profiles now, tho from what ive read up on how to do it, changing profiles ingame would probably cause it to minimize, which could be a problem

Return to “Other questions”