Key repeat too fast

Ebenezer

Key repeat too fast

Post by Ebenezer »

Hi, I'm using Xpadder and have no problems setting up the keys or anything. My problem is that once I assign a key to my gamepad (Logitech Dual Analog Rumblepad not cordless) and play a game the key press is waaaay too fast and repeats too much.

For example if I assign Enter (which opens the main menu in my game "X3")to a button on my gamepad and use it in game, what happens is the menu opens and closes reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy fast over and over with just the slightest key press. It's not humanly possible to even tap it just fast enough to only open it once. And that's for any and every button I assign to the controller, I just used that as an example.

I've tried everything I can find, changing the default key press time from .10 and raising it all the way, no luck. I use XPadder 5.6 and even tried downgrading to 5.3 but that didn't work. My Logitech Wingman software works fine if I just use that to assign buttons, it's only XPadder having the problem, and XPadder blows the Logitech software away. Any help would be much appreciated this has been nagging me for days.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Key repeat too fast

Post by SGTCableDog »

The default key tap time in Xpadder settings is used to set the key tap time at profile creation. Once you have made a profile change it using the Profile Settings in the Profile menu.

Ebenezer

Post by Ebenezer »

Thanks SGTCableDog for the quick reply.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to help. I deleted the xpadder.ini and all my profiles for games and controllers and started fresh. The 1st thing I did was change the default Key Tap time from the far upper right wrench icon of Xpadder before I made a controller profile. Then I made the new profile, tested it out, and ran into the same problem.

Looking at your post you're saying there should be a way to change it using the profile settings in the profile menu, but I can't find anything about key press time/rate in the profile menu settings or properties. I can find Key Tap Time from the game profile settings, and I've tried changing that before and again now and it still seems to have no effect.

I did find it weird that changing the default key tap time to 1 sec before even making a controller profile did not seem to change anything once I began making a game profile. It was still set to .10 like the default. Not sure if that helps diagnose. I made sure xpadder has full permissions from my firewall.

I've even tried changing the Xpadder.ini setting to like 50000 to see if that would change anything, but nope.
I also went and tried slowing down Key Repeat in Windows Control Panel and that didn't work.

I have no other game controller software running, but have tried while the Logitech software was running to see if that fixed it. No dice. It's only Xpadder.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

I did find it weird that changing the default key tap time to 1 sec before even making a controller profile did not seem to change anything once I began making a game profile. It was still set to .10 like the default.
This part of your response is a little unclear. There is a default key tap time in the general settings of Xpadder window:

Then there is the profile specific key tap time in the profile menu, when you click on settings(the little square page, not the wrench):

I believe Cable posted the wrong image. It shouldn't effect the setting, but create a controller layout first. Then change the key tap time in the general settings menu. Then try creating a new profile and check in the profile what the setting is. See if that works. If you want try changing the key tap time setting first and then a controller layout. If the setting doesn't stick for each new profile then thats a bug.

Ebenezer

Post by Ebenezer »

You know what I am very sorry. I had the problem narrowed down to Xpadder and the game itself, and of course it was the game. It's a known issue with how it handles certain controllers and DirectX continuous signals and there was indeed a fix I could use in the command line of the shortcut.

I knew it couldn't be Xpadder :) There's nothing like it, it's the best. Same with the support.

Edit- just saw the response post from mnl1121, yes I'm sure Cable posted the wrong image. However changing the default key tap time to 1 sec from the general settings menu before creating a controller or game profile still didn't effect the default key tap time after they were created, as looking in the profile key tap time afterwords still showed a .10 until it specifically was changed.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Ah ok its good to know your problem was fixed. However there still might be a bug in Xpadder not keeping key tap time settings. I know it works in mine. Wonder why its not working for you.
However changing the default key tap time to 1 sec from the general settings menu before creating a controller or game profile still didn't effect the default key tap time after they were created, as looking in the profile key tap time afterwords still showed a .10 until it specifically was changed.
One thing though. You are creating a new profile after changing the default key tap time right? Because that settings only effects new profiles, not already made profiles. Just want to make sure thats clear.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. :oops: I didn't get enough sleep and my wife was pushing me out the door. Enough with the excuses.

mnl is right, after changing the default key tap time you must create a new profile using the menu I screwed up.

By the way, which game did you find the problem with? Could be helpful in the future. :ugeek:

Return to “Other questions”