Xpadder and Anti-Virus not getting along...

sypheran

Xpadder and Anti-Virus not getting along...

Post by sypheran »

Okay, so I've had Xpadder for a little while now, but unfortunately, every few days my Anti-virus detects Xpadder as a virus and completely removes it, the installation file, and all other associated files from my computer. I've made backups of Xppader and all it's associated files but as soon as I plug my external drive in to access the backups, my Anti-virus detects the files and removes them... My anti-virus is Bitdefender. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't want to mess with my Bitdefender settings and cause it not be able to do it's job to it's best ability, I don't want to tell it to completely allow Xpadder and later find out that there actually was a virus that hijacked the Xpadder programming somehow... What can I do?

Errol
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Xpadder and Anti-Virus not getting along...

Post by Errol »

Bit-defender, is an anti-virus most of the time gives a false positive. What Bit-defender is doing is analyzing the way Xpadder is working in the background so it thinks its a virus.
However what you can do is to go directly into the anti-virus and check enable to allow Xpadder to run. You said you have Xpadder for a little while now and now all of a sudden this anti-virus is saying its a virus. I'm using Microsoft security essentials and not one time it ever warned me Xpadder is a virus

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

My guess is that Bitdefenders heuristic analysis is flagging Xpadders ability to monitor keyboard input as being a keylogger or your copy of Xpadder has been infected. In your post you say Bitdefender removes Xpadder, the installation file and other associated files. Xpadder is a stand alone program without an installer. It does save a configuration file along with controller layouts and profiles.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Ah BitDefender, I had it for around a year. This paranoid piece of software has simply deleted a couple of batch files I have written myself to regularly backup personal data. So I am able to write viruses? :roll:
As a test case I have written one file completely new (only some lines) and after some minutes "generic whatever deleted". No mentioning that this was was a heuristic detection, BitDefender had really the insolence to claim that this is an actual virus. :x
In general I hate how seemingly all Anti-Virus programs today handle presumably infected file. They simply delete them (or put them in quarantine, if configured). But they don't tell which file it is that was deleted, there is only the name of the allegedly virus.
Yes of course , I really don't need to know if a important system file or something personal has been deleted. I would unnecessarily worry about that.

In every way, BitDefender has a white list feature. You can configure different files or folders to not get scanned. But I didn't really liked this solution. What if a file in that folder gets really infected and what about other files that get unnecessarily deleted that way?
My decision was that I don't want to get dictated what programs, self written batch files or other files I am allowed to use, so I'm now on F-Secure.

msbelchior

Post by msbelchior »

:shock: Same happens to me with Norton Anti-virus, they always got along but suddenly today, they didn't and that picky anti-virus deleted it

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

you think BitDefender is overkill try kaspersky. if norton is configured correctly it wont be to much trouble.(though i ditched that slow peice of crap years ago as it didnt protect me in the end) has anyone seen ie9's messege suggesting people delete a just downloaded copy of xpadder from xpadder.com just because it hasnt been scanned by their database often enough to make it legit or i guess because it hasnt been digitally signed.

Return to “Xpadder is reported as a virus or unsafe”