Simultaneous Button Mapping

roninmedia

Simultaneous Button Mapping

Post by roninmedia »

I've used other free keypad mapping software. They've been able to map the basic functions where you have to hit keys together for functions such as copy, cut, paste. However, I have not found one that would let me map other combinations together. For one game, default button for Attack = Ctrl and the Jump = Alt. I have not gotten any of programs to let me click a button on my controller and have it simulate hitting both buttons at once to have my character jump and attack.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Simultaneous Button Mapping

Post by SGTCableDog »

With Xpadder you can have a button attack [ctrl] or jump [alt] or jump and attack [alt]+[ctrl] or jump than attack [alt] [pause .1sec][ctrl] or jump, attack three times, jump again [alt][pause .1sec][ctrl][pause .1sec][ctrl][pause .1sec][ctrl][pause .1sec][alt]. You get the idea. It took way longer to type this than it would take to make the assignments in Xpadder.

Piere Sabor

Post by Piere Sabor »

Nope,
I don`t think you answered the question.
You assign multiple KEYs to only one BUTTON and ofcourse we are very happy for this smart solution to solve lots of our problems...
But ...
How come it is not possible to combine two BUTTONS ?
For example ; on a Xbox360 wireless image I can can add only as much buttons as my controller has. This means I can`t combine let`s say button 5 and button 6 ...
Would be nice not, to push button 5 and get a nr 5 button on screen, assign one or more keys to it,
push button 6 on the controller and see a nr 6 button on screen,
assign some keys to it and finally push 5 ànd 6 together and get an new button on screen, for example nr 7.... and assign a totally different set of keys to this precious nr 7

Can`t find anything on that issue in the help files, tutorials or forums ...

Probably a good time to get some sleep now ;-)

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

There is a way to do something ~like~ what you're asking (when pushing button 1, followed by button 2, you get "button 3"), but it's not an actual button being made, as it's using the "layered sets" trick someone rather clever came up with ages ago.

What you do is set up a secondary set (can be a "mirrored set" copy of set 1, minus the "button 3" you want), in addition to your primary set, and have the buttons laid out how you want, with the "hold 1+2=3" so that holding button 1 (or in some versions button 2) will access set 2 until you release the button.

Example:

Button 1(s1) - Assigned: "a" keystroke
Button 2(s1) - Assigned: "b" keystroke, when held -> access Set 2 when released -> return to Set 1
Button 1 "aka. Button 3" (s2) - While Button 2 is held (in Set 1), Button 1 is assigned "c". When released, returns to Set 1.

It's really hard to explain it, and type it out, but the idea is that you have your basic layout in Set 1, and when you press the desired "x+y" buttons, it lets you access the new button. I wish I could explain it better than that...

Piere Sabor

Post by Piere Sabor »

Hmm ok but I`m feeling where you`re going so I`ll try some things out... ;-)
Thnx !

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

Sorry that I couldn't make it clearer, and have it make more sense. It's kind of... difficult to type it out and explain what exactly it is I mean.

yeshuwatso

Post by yeshuwatso »

Expanding on this conversation. I'm used to using GlovePIE for most of my advance needs, but I've been using the old xPadder before it was dirt cheap paid software for very simplistic needs. I too am looking for a simple function that will allow me to map two or more controller buttons to one or more keyboard keys. In pseudo programming language it would be:

if(button1 && button2)
. key.4 = True
. key.5 = True
endif

I'm not sure if xPadder does this now and I don't want to pay for something that gives me the same functionality I had as a donor. I don't use xPadder often (rarely at all) but I don't want to sit down with a new GlovePIE script right now.

Thanks,
Yeshua

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Two buttons to one keypress is a common request. You can do it with Sets as Tre mentioned but it's not the most efficient way and is really more of a clever workaround. I need to actually add a function to do it properly. It's on the Feature X list and so will be added once buyers vote for it.

If you have donated to Xpadder in the past then this qualifies you for all the benefits of a buyer

Return to “More questions”