active windows

adbee

active windows

Post by adbee »

OK got a question here, been searching for a program for ages that can do this.

Basically want to load two instances of one game and send controls from the mouse and keyboard to the active window, and control from my xbox 360 control pad to the inactive window. So I can put one window on my monitor and the other on my tv so can play multiplayer with my friend in the same room.

Is this possible? I really cant see how hard it could be if you provided the name of the inactive window, it would be an amazing feature.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Re: active windows

Post by mnl1121 »

There are quite a few obstacles you need to overcome in order to do this. First and this is the biggest, is that most games will not allow you to run 2 instances of it at a time (have you at least tried this?). Second you will need a second keyboard and mouse, even if you don't use it as Xpadder emulates the keyboard and mouse. It does not create a virtual keyboard and mouse to emulate. So basically even if you got 2 instances going then both of you would still be controlling only 1 instance of the game.

So this is what you need to do.
1. You need a second keyboard and mouse (unless the game supports your gamepad then that should be sufficient)
2. You will also need software to allow a second keyboard and mouse to actually operate correctly under windows (as i don't think windows supports multiple mice and keyboards natively, but i know there is software that will allow you to do this).
3. You need to be able to run 2 instances of the game

Not to mention your PC needs to be powerful enough to be able to run 2 instances of the game at once, unless you want to play with the game playing like a slideshow. Sorry I know thats not what you wanted to hear, but i hope it helps.

adbee

Post by adbee »

Yeah was thinking of games were the gamepad is supported natively.

There are definately ways of loading two instances of most games. Got the idea off a guy on youtube, he had two call of duty screens running in windows one window hosted and the other joined seperately. He just couldnt figure out how to control the two indvidually. I have read about how lots of WOW players do something called Mulit-boxing thought this would be similar.

My pc is very powerful (i7, 6 gig ram, xcrossfie 5770s) so sure it would run two instances of games with settings turned down.

Apparently the main obstacle is getting the gamepad to send controls to one windows and the keyboard and mouse to the other. Were the gamepad is supported in the game..

Have actually got this working in Left for Dead but it is in split screen mode, but one goes on the tv and the other on the monitor. Runs perfectly.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Oh ok I see. Your best bet would to get a second keyboard and mouse and look up software that allows you to use 2 keyboards and 2 mice in windows. I know there i such software (its some kind of office productivity software). It allows you to control each keyboard/mouse separately and to control individual windows. Though I have no clue how Xpadder will react if you go this route as I don't know if it will just emulate the first keyboard, the second, or both at the same time.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

It may be easier if you limit yourself to games with native controller support. There is a 360 controller emulator that works by using a hacked XInput DLL file that traps XInput commands and redirects it as determined by an configuration file. It works because of the way DOS works. A call to an external file will check in the current directory before checking the %path enviroment statement. If you find a hacked DirectInput module and place it games folder along with the game executable it may work. I'm not going to try it, it kind of a subvertive way of doing it and may violate the games user agreement or even open the gates to hell. :shock: Try at your own risk.

Return to “More questions”