Mass Effect 1

alucardcreed

Mass Effect 1

Post by alucardcreed »

Hello all,

I made a profile fore Mass Effect 1 for use with a PS2 Controller type configuration. I have the problem that when I'm moving (left analog) and go to turn with left with the emulated mouse (right analog) Sheppard does like a complete 180 Degree turn. Any ideas, tips, or suggestions would help.

Thanks in advance.

Kloreep
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Mass Effect 1

Post by Kloreep »

I've had this problem too. Which reminds me, I still need to go back and test this. I hadn't found a way to fix it, but I hadn't tried some possibilities, i.e. changing mouse sensitivity in Xpadder while moving in-game sensitivity the other way to compensate. There might even be something in one of the config files if we're lucky.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I will reinstall Mass Effect to take a look in this problem. I will let you know if I can find out something useful.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

This issue seems to be a misdirected remnant of the xbox360 controller support (console port :shifty:). If both sticks are pushed 100% to the left and the mouse will be also moved to the left, the camera will move with ultra speed.
I didn't help to to disconnect the controller while starting the game, and it didn't help to select another controller as preference in the Windows Control Panel. But my last possibility works. :mrgreen:

Download this file and extract it in the folder ".../Mass Effect/Binaries".
It is made to redirect the native controller support of compatible games to this controller emulator. Since the config file for it is missing, it won't work and so it will only disable the native controller support (or more that what is left of it).
Last edited by Primal Fear on 15 Jan 2011, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

Kloreep
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Kloreep »

Oooh, sounds nice, I hadn't heard of an external way of disabling XInput code before. Thanks for looking in to this. :)

I don't see a link or attachment in your post though?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I believe its called "x360ce", its a XInput emulator. Primal has recommened it a few times.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Kloreep wrote:I don't see a link or attachment in your post though?
That's strange, I would swear that it was there.
Anyway, I have fixed this. I guess it was simply too late yesterday. :?
SGTCableDog wrote:I believe its called "x360ce", its a XInput emulator. Primal has recommend it a few times.
To be exactly only this one file of it. It is enough to make the native controller support not working.

If Xpadder would support this somehow, then it would be simply the ultimate input emulation tool. I mean this tool also works without any extra drivers, only this small dll-file in the main folder of the game is needed. Xpadder could replace the rigid config file and the configuration tool.
OK, it is OpenSource. So using it's source code wouldn't be the problem. But how does it look with selling Xpadder someone else's source code in it?

Kloreep
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Kloreep »

Yes, that works great! Thank you for posting it.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Primal Fear wrote:If Xpadder would support this somehow, then it would be simply the ultimate input emulation tool
Can you post this in the current XInput suggestion forum topic here: http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php ... 37&start=0
I've noticed you posted this tool a few times but I'm not clear on what is does exactly - we can discuss its potential for Xpadder functionality in that topic.

ardz

Post by ardz »

When I download and place that dll file in the required dir, I get an error and the game won't start (says somthing about a missing direct input DLL). Once I remove the file again, the game runs again.

I'm using w7 x64

Anyone got any ideas :?: cheers!

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Do you have a Steam version or a normal retail version of the game?
And can you post the precisely error message? I'm pretty sure that this is fixable, but I do not want to poke around blind.

ardz

Post by ardz »

It's the retail version, gimme a few mins I'll have to fire up my HTPC and i'll get a screen dump of the error

ardz

Post by ardz »

here it is (I'm not trying to play the game over remote desktop by the way, the error shows when I'm actually physically using the machine):

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

OK, so no Dinput dll. Have a look here, at the lower end of the third possibility.
Last edited by Primal Fear on 19 Feb 2011, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

ardz

Post by ardz »

Nice one primal. C++ runtime was the cure. Cheers!

xsuit

Post by xsuit »

Primal Fear wrote:Do you have a Steam version or a normal retail version of the game?
And can you post the precisely error message? I'm pretty sure that this is fixable, but I do not want to poke around blind.
Unfortunately I've been facing the same bug and have the Steam version so there's no bin/binaries folder or .exe file that I can locate. Is there any other way around it? I've tried the third option of turning on the controller after the game had already started as well to no avail.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

The Steam version also has to have an .exe file.
Did you tried to find the Binaries folder under ".../Steam/steamapps/common/Mass Effect"?

xsuit

Post by xsuit »

Primal Fear wrote:The Steam version also has to have an .exe file.
Did you tried to find the Binaries folder under ".../Steam/steamapps/common/Mass Effect"?
Thank you for that. It took a bit of searching but I finally found the .exe. Though there was yet another error message but the c++ runtime resolved that post haste. Thanks again for the assistance.

hkeaton0727

Post by hkeaton0727 »

primal i love you for finding this fix!!! i was going insane trying to not go full left during combat. Def. a lifesaver.

Return to “Other questions”