I have a few questions.

ChiroVette

I have a few questions.

Post by ChiroVette »

Hey everyone!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I could not find any other general thread ot forum that dealt with total n00b questions like mine.

Anyway, I just purchased and downloaded XPadder and I am completely clueless on how to use it.
I purchased it primarily for my wired XBox 360/PC controller to use for the old GTA games. Honestly, the 360 controller is great for everything new, but (as a few people pointed out) in GTA games (III, SA, and VC) the right stick doesn't work and neither do the triggers. In addition, the D-Pad doesn't seem to be seen by the game.

At any rate, I managed to get my GTA controls mapped 90% witbout the XPadder and was hoping to simply creae a profile that itegrates BOTH the present scheme AND the allows me to program the triggers, D-Pad, and the right stick.

My question is, can this be done? Meaning can I use the controls that the game already sees and just add the triggers and right stick presses to it? Or do I have to start all over again and programn every single button press, even those that work fine without the XPadder?

One more question: Is there a detailed set of instructions on how to use this software? Because as I said, I am completely clueless! lol

Thanks and sorry again if this is in the wrong place!

ChiroVette

Re: I have a few questions.

Post by ChiroVette »

Wow this is AMAZING!!

I think I am starting to get this. To answer my own questions, I seem to have been able to integrate most of the on foot controls with the standard ones that already worked with the 360 controller (Whew!!) so I don't have to reprogram every button! SWEEET program!

Edit: Okay lol now I have a strange problem so I must be doing something wrong. I saved the profile I created after I completed my San Andreas control scheme. I named the file "My Controller San Andreas" and it definitely saved. Yet when I reboot the laptop and reloaded the saved control scheme, it loaded but all the controls were empty!

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks again.

Edit #2: Okay lol this is really odd. I re-assigned the buttons again, saved it under a different name (the stock name, which seems to be "My Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows).xpaddercontroller." I then re-booted the PC to test it out, and the same thing happened. It pulled up all the activated controls I programmed (Triggers, D-Pad, Start button and right analog stick) but again they were all empty of assigned keystroked. I assume I am not saving the file correctly? Oh and another oddity: Now XPadder is telling me that the original file I created, "My Controller San Andreas.xpaddercontroller" Do I have to re-assign the actual buttons every time I reboot my computer? it seems to be saving the base scheme, meaning all the buttons, triggers and D-Pad as well as the right stick I activated but they are all coming up as empty, in other words, no keystrokes assigned to them.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

The box in the top-left ("My Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver)" is your controller layout (the position of the buttons and the image). You create and save this only once and have one for each different controller you use.

The box in the top-right ("Basic Profile") is your profile (the key and mouse assignments for each button). You can create different profiles for different games.

ChiroVette

Post by ChiroVette »

Sorry, I am a little lost, Jonathan. First, I have the wired 360 controller, not the wireless. Second, I don't have the controller icon on the upper lefthand corner of the Xpadder box like you do, nor do I have the guide button in the center of the Xpadder box.

Oh and at least for now, I have no intention of using any other controllers, so that should simplify matters for me at least in the beginning.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Jonathan tried to tell that you have saved the controller layout, which saves how many buttons, sticks or triggers (if any) the controller has and where they placed in the main window (and the controller image). It does not save your assignments.
You have to save (and to load) them on the right side as a profile.
ChiroVette wrote:Second, I don't have the controller icon on the upper lefthand corner of the Xpadder box like you do, nor do I have the guide button in the center of the Xpadder box.
I guess you do not have the controller image. You get it here.
Right click on the image and click on "Copy Image". Open Xpadders Controller settings and click there on the button "Paste".

ChiroVette

Post by ChiroVette »

Ah all right! I knew I was doing something wrong, I just couldn't figure out what, lol. I will try creating and saving the profile later, but for now I need to get some sleep.

Seriously, though, I have to repeat, I am really impressed with this program. Oh and thanks for the image link. ;)

ChiroVette

Post by ChiroVette »

Just an update: I was able to "fill" the layout with what keystrokes I wanted to emulate and apparently I saved it as a profile. There are slight variances between San Andreas going to III and VC, which I accounted for by making two slightly different schemes within the same profile. It looks like you have up to eight schemes you can use within each layout, which is more than enough for my GTA needs. Honestly, I only bought this software to make the three old GTA games playable on my new gaming laptop, which now, thanks to Jonathan, they are! All the other games I have are very new and Windows 7 has no problem seeing the controller and assigning it as if these were 360 games.

One question: I have the old game F.E.A.R. which I may or may not ever getting around to playing. If I end up playing that game, will I need to (and be able to) create a new "layout" for this controller? Or can I maybe use the third slot (three of eight) in the profile I have for that game? Also, can you name each of the eight slots on your controller "layout" or do I just have to remember that "1" is for San Andreas, "2" is for VC and III, and "3" (if I use it) is for F.E.A.R.?

I have a few more questions, but my needs from this software are very simple so far, it really is very easy now.

Man, guys, BEST TEN BUCKS I EVER SPENT!!!

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

We call the file that saves the keyboard and mouse assignment a profile. As you have notice each profile can have eight groups of assignments which we refer to as sets. Xpadder now has the ability to name the sets. To the left of the set buttons is a button that brings up a menu with the top option called "Settings..." You can name the sets there.

Generally you create a profile for each game or program you use Xpadder with. Some games need so many keys you need to use the buttons for more than one key. You can then assign a button on the controller to change sets. If you right click a controller button a menu will open with an option to select an alternate set.

As Xpadder becomes more familiar you can create an "Autoprofile" which automatically loads a profile when you start your game.

ChiroVette

Post by ChiroVette »

@SGTCableDog, I am having trouble naming the sets. The only button to the left of my sets is the button with that "set selector" icon, but clicking on it (right or left) does not bring up the menu you posted a pic of. All it does is bring up a lost of sets one through eight. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

The set naming feature was added for the next release of Xpadder. The developmental nightly builds are available here. Jonathan works hard to maintain them in a stable state. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

bigbeefan

No pink screen

Post by bigbeefan »

I don't get a pink screen like everyone else, why???Would someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.Thanks :(

Return to “Other questions”