PS3 Controller - How to Connect

jidz

PS3 Controller - How to Connect

Post by jidz »

Moderator Comment: This tutorial is mostly outdated as the current version of Motioninjoy has now signed drivers. Because the drivers are signed, the installation precess will work like with any other official driver software you need to install manually. Click here to get to the current download site of Motioninjoy. And make sure to read this official tutorial for installation and configuration. -Primal Fear

Did I forget?
Make sure you have what you need, check the list right here:
• Playstation 3 Controller
• Micro USB to USB Cable (the one that came with your PS3 controller)
• USB port available

Motion in Joy

What is Motion in Joy?
Easy, it’s the driver that will learn your computer to understand what a PS3 controller is.

Why Motion in Joy, Why not libusb?
Because it’s a stable driver, and unlike the libusb, which only work on 32bit Motion in Joy also works in 64bit, with some extra configuration though. Also it gets updated and it’s user friendly.

User friendly!? NO, it has advertising and bad English in it!
Well, the author, also needed to get some payment for his great product, he spends a lot of his spare time updating this driver and software, advertising is there to hold his web server and homepage up and running for free, else you would have to pay for the driver, and the bad English, well you can live with it, we do.

It’s time to install the driver:
32 bit – http://www.motioninjoy.com/system/files ... 00_x86.zip
64 bit – http://www.motioninjoy.com/uploadfiles/ ... _amd64.zip

After installing, go to the menu start, and programs and Motion in Joy and start the program called
’DS3 Tool’ at the top, enter the tap called ‘Pairing’ and press the button called ‘Check Update’ after this a new window will open, and simply press the ‘Sart Updata’

Click on one of the following, depending on your bit.
32bit press here
64bit press here
Last edited by Primal Fear on 28 Jan 2013, 13:01, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Tutorial outdated

jidz

Re: PS3 Controller - How to Connect

Post by jidz »

64BIT, the hard way!
You can choose to follow my guide, or use this great YouTube video.
All the 'green spots' are the important part.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGPIRebaVJY

Info about why 64bit is tricky
Windows Vista, and Windows 7, both have a Driver Signing Enforcement which requires the driver to have a certain certificate, which you buy from Microsoft. These drivers doesn’t have one of these, there for you will have to configure your Windows some more to get it to work.
Now I do not own a 64bit system, but I have installed and done these steps on some friend’s computer system and it works great.
If you have problems i will do my best to help you.

Lets start!
Make sure you have download this tool, follow the link and press 'Agree':
http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=File ... dwn_id=826

Also plug in your PS3 controller to the USB port you want to use it with, when you have chosen what USB port it is, remember to always plug it into that one. Windows will now install some standard drivers for it, to try and accept it as a gamepad, which it will fail, the drivers that will be installed we will need though.

User Account Control
you have to do is to go to ‘Control Panel’ and find ‘User Account’ and press ‘change User Account Control settings’ make sure they are set to the lowest as possible. All the way down to ‘Never notify’

after this is done, run the install of Motion in Joy 64bit. Choose a place you want it to install and hit next all the way through.

Special way to install new driver (though part!)
Go to ‘Control Panel’ and find ‘Device Manager’
check the ‘Human Interface Devices’ and it should pop down with some devices, these are the driver installed in your USB ports and USB ports.
Your game controller is called ‘HID compliant game controller’ right click that, and select ‘Properties’ go to the tap called ’Details’ and in the drop down menu select ‘Hardware-ID’.

We will need this ID to determine what USB port it is plug into, the important part here is the ‘REV_xxxx’ number it has (xxxx of cause being a number). Now close this and go back to ‘Device Manager’
and look through all the ‘USB Input Device’ and check the hardware ID’s for the one with the right ‘REV_xxxx’ number.

After you have found this, close the window, right click the one in ‘USB Input Device’ which match and click ‘Update Driver Software’, click ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ and click ‘Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer’ and press the button ‘Have disk’.

Now hit the ‘Browse’ button and navigate to the folder you installed Motion in joy to,
(standard would be at ‘C:/Program Files/MotionInJoy/’) and from here go into the folder ‘ds3’ and go into the next folder ‘drivers’ and select the driver that ends in ‘hid’ (‘MiJBThid’) and press ‘ok’ and then hit ‘next’.

Relocate the new driver
Now close all open windows and navigate into the folder were Motion In Joy was installed, (standard would be at ‘C:/Program Files/MotionInJoy/’) and go to the folder DS3 and open Drivers, also open a new window and navigate to ‘C:/Windows/System32/drivers/’ now copy ‘MijUfilt.sys’ from the motion in joy driver folder and move it to the system32 driver folder.

Force driver install
Now run the Driver Signing Enforcement program you download at the start, and hit ‘next’ and then ‘yes’ when the program load up, check the ‘Sign a System File’ and hit ‘Next’ it will now ask for the location of the file, now insert the following:

And hit ‘OK’ it will now say it worked and all is good, so hit ‘OK’ once again.
The program will pop up again, and now check ‘Enable Test Mode’ and hit ‘Next’. It will again tell you it was successful and will ask you to reboot before the changes are enabled.

Reboot
so go ahead and reboot now.

Setup and Test controller
Now go and open the program called ‘DS3 Tool’ go into the tap ‘Pairing’ if you want to play with Motion Sensor, check the ‘Analog Gamepad 3’ if you don’t want to use it, use ‘Analog Gamepad 2’ check the ’Enable vibration’ and hit the button ‘Enable Option’

Now to test and see if this works go to ‘Control Panel’ and open
‘Game Controller’ press the buttons on the PS3 controller and see
if they light up, if they do that, and everything moves correctly, you proceed to setup your xpadder!
If it won’t light up, try start ’DS3 Tool’ up again and pair it.
Also retry after as reboot.

Image Remember this!
• Every time you unplug the controller from the USB or you restart, you will have to start ‘DS3 Tool’ and pair it agian.
• If DS3 Tool crashes check if you run as administrator, and simply restart it.
Last edited by jidz on 26 Aug 2009, 22:16, edited 9 times in total.

jidz

Post by jidz »

32BIT, the easy way!
Unlike the 64bit you won’t have to force drivers and become almost a computer wizard after the installation. 32bit is smooth and simple; some quick steps will here be explained.

First step!
Use USB to connect your PS3 controller. Regardless of whether it's a SIXAXIS or DUALSHOCK3, Windows will install its own drivers. This is okay, we will just get the program to overwrite it for us.

Second step!
Now go to ‘Start’, open ‘All Programs’, and find ‘MotionInJoy’, right click the ‘Install USB Driver’ and press ‘Run as Administrator’ when installing you will be greeted with this message:

simply say ‘Install this driver software anyway’ it is a security option to help you not install driver Microsoft finds to be a threat, don’t worry though, this is harmless

after install is complete, it will open a notepad, were the last line should be like this:

Code: Select all

SUCCESS: installed package C:\Program Files\MotioninJoy\ds3\drivers\MijUfilt.inf.
Then the driver is installed correctly.
(if you want to use a different USB Port, you will have to repeat this step.)

Third step!
Go to ‘Start’, open ‘All Programs’, and find ‘MotionInJoy’ and open the program called ‘DS3 Tool’ go into the tap ‘Pairing’ if you want to play with Motion Sensor, check the ‘Analog Gamepad 3’ if you don’t want to use it, use ‘Analog Gamepad 2’ check the ’Enable vibration’ and hit the button ‘Enable Option’

Now to test and see if this works go to ‘Control Panel’ and open
‘Game Controller’ press the buttons on the PS3 controller and see
if they light up, if they do that, and everything moves correctly, you proceed to next step.
If it won’t light up, try start ’DS3 Tool’ up again and pair it.

Image Remember this!
• Every time you unplug the controller from the USB or you restart, you will have to start ‘DS3 Tool’ and pair it agian.
• If DS3 Tool crashes check if you run as administrator, and simply restart it.
• If you get a error on install driver, then check if you run as administrator and try agian.

dickie

Post by dickie »

Hi I am setting up the 64bit version. I watched the video and followed every step (great vid btw). Now when using the ds3 driver I can't pair. Everytime i click the button I get an error "Read master bluetooth addr failed,Plugin your Bluetooth Dongle and install Bluetooth driver first". I have the ps3 controller cable plugged in, so there shouldnt be a need for usb.

I get the basic functiality that you see in the video e.g. the dpad and btns work. The analog sticks do not.

jidz

Post by jidz »

im sorry im not able to help you here, never tried to setup a BT :)
only thing i know is that if you have the right dongle your able to do it (which it seems you have) and that motioninjoy is devolping it but it isnt finished yet.
anyway, as for the error it seems you went ahead and installed the PS3 drivers before you installed the dongles original drivers, try install the original drivers for the dongle, and try to go through the install process again.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

if you have a widcomm chipset & vista sp1 try this
KB942567

dickie

Post by dickie »

FARSTRIDER wrote:if you have a widcomm chipset & vista sp1 try this
KB942567
what does that mean?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

KB means Knowledge Base and Microsoft use it for help and support.
This is the article it refers to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942567

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

its the kb article related to the vista sp1 wireless feature pack

arcadiangenesis

Post by arcadiangenesis »

This isn't working. When I click "Updata" it just says "Get update files List" and doesn't do anything else.

Then when I try to Install USB Drivers, it says "cannot find the ___ file. Do you want to create a new file?"

What should I do?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

the feature pack only works with vista sp1 because its been added into sp2

if its for a widcom chipset download drivers from here
http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php

arcadiangenesis

Post by arcadiangenesis »

I've been running that program for like 20 minutes now, and nothing is happening. Are you just supposed to plug in the controller and run the program? Anything else?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

this is for blueooth connection not a wired 1. the wired method is the 1st 3 posts @ the top of this thread

philip

Post by philip »

having a problem too, i started the program and put in my Bluetooth stick and the software is still "detecting the Bluetooth device" and "please plug in or turn on your Bluetooth device"... or do i have to activate my PS3 controler now? Or is the Driver just working when you have a bloototh stick of Broadcom ? (On W7 64 Bit)

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

what program are you refering to?

ryanzero

Post by ryanzero »

I've been looking for an alternative because MotionInJoy decided not to work when I'm offline. I don't know if that's a feature the programmer wanted, but with all the advertising it seems shady.

The interface is redundant. It's hard to know what you're doing because the buttons are everywhere and they don't respond well.

I would pay like I did for Xpadder if the MotionInJoy guy wants support. I just want a clean piece of software thats reliable. I wouldn't pay for MotionInJoy like it is. In fact I just uninstalled it to come look for an alternative.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

you could try glovepie other than that theres pgp. sorry i dont know any standalone drivers

Shadow_dragyn

Post by Shadow_dragyn »

I'm having an issue with this Driver.
I downloaded the latest version from here: http://www.motioninjoy.com/download
I downloaded Version 0.6.0003. I installed it, opened the program, and loaded the drivers.
It's now registering some of the buttons, but the joysticks do nothing and the triggers are not analog. I think it's acting like I have it set to work like a PS1 controller, and in fact every single time I reopen the Profiles page it seems to have defaulted back to that. Anyone know what's going on? I absolutely cannot get it to stay on any profile setting I select. I choose a setting, like "Playstation 2' (POV,Joysticks,Analog Trigger)", but it continues to function like it's on "Playstation 1 (Dpad,without joystick)". I go to another page and back to Profiles again, and like I said it has defaulted itself back to that PS1 profile.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I have bought a PS3 some days ago and tried to use my DS3 via Motioninjoy with my PC and I have exactly the same problem. Also we had already a good number of people here in the forum with problems which can be explained that way.
However, it's a bug of Motioninjoy.
http://forums.motioninjoy.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1487

The only solution that I could find is to open the DS3 Tool, to check if the correct mode is selected and to click on "Enable".

Shadow_dragyn

Post by Shadow_dragyn »

Selecting enable did nothing for me. If MotioninJoy is just bad, does anyone know of a good alternative? One that allows Analog use of the triggers?
Ah, I got it working. Closing down MotionInJoy -completely- then reopening it fixed the issue.

Shadow_dragyn

Post by Shadow_dragyn »

MotionInJoy apparently supports motion control/tilt. How can I bind that in XPadder?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

So it works now?

With Xpadder alone is the only way to replace one of analog sticks with SIXAXIS.
The better solution is a tool called PPjoy. You can create with it virtual joysticks and then xou can pass on inputs from other controllers (so for example the axes of SIXAXIS) to this virtual joystick with it's joystick remixer.

With a 32-bit Windows, simply run the installer as admin (right click on the installer->"run as Administrator")

With a 64-bit Windows there is the problem that it's drivers aren't signed by Microsoft as this costs 499$ a year. You can workaround that by running Windows in testmode.
To do so, run the Windows command prompt (cmd.exe) as admin and type "BCDEDIT -SET TESTSIGNING ON" (without "). Then press enter and reboot your system. After the restart you should see about following in the lower right edge of your desktop:
  • Testmode
    Window7 (or Windows Vista)
    Build xxxx
Now you can run the installer (also as admin). When PPjoy installs it's drivers, Windows will point you clearly indicated that this driver isn't signed but you can select to install it anyways. You have to stay in Testmode to use PPjoy.

In future just be carefully with this question to install unsigned drivers, especially if you do not know what Windows wants to install there. To disable the Testmode (and so to quit using PPjoy simply run the command prompt again as admin, type "BCDEDIT -SET TESTSIGNING OFF", press enter and reboot.

Shadow_dragyn

Post by Shadow_dragyn »

This program is causing me a hell of a lot of trouble. 50% of the time when I log into it, it simply does not work, and I have to close it down completely and open it back up again. Nearly any time I unplug the controller from the USB and plug it back in again, I have to completely close and reopen the program to get it working again as well.
It reads my Bluetooth dongle perfectly fine and claims both my controller and keypad are paired to it, but my controller never works with it, and while my keypad was working with it yesterday I absolutely cannot seem to get it to work today.
Ordinarily I shouldn't even need to use this program to get the Keypad working, I should be able to pair it to my Bluetooth directly, but while my Bluetooth is fully capably of reading the Keypad and starting the pairing process, nothing happens when I attempt to input the security code and after a minute or so it seems to lose the connection to it and close down.
But like I said, by pairing it through MotionInJoy the Keypad was working perfectly fine all day yesterday, until I logged my computer off for the night and came back today.
I've tried closing/reopening, re-pairing the Keypad, resetting both the Keypad and the controller (last time, for some reason, the Keypad finally started working after I reset the controller), and none of it works.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

you could try putting your blutooth dongle in discovery mode before pairing as the controller doesnt support the offcial discovery spec. for bluetooth thats why most use the usb method. also any broadcom based chipset bluetooth adapters dont play nice with ps3/wii controllers sometimes the results are limited acess or no access @ all

cmccln0

Post by cmccln0 »

i paid for this program and i cannot install motion and joy for a 32bit after it installs it opens a new screen for a site called winzip i do not want to pay winzip $30 to $50 when i paid $10 for this program to work so now i cant connect my ps3 controller to my computer iam not able to search for motion and joy in my programs because it never installs because winzip comes up please help i dont want to waste my money

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Every Version of Windows since XP (if I'm correct) has a own feature to open .zip files. You have probably installed Winzip once, so it had configured itself as standard program for opening these files. Your can simply open/unzip the Motioninjoy installer right click the .zip file, go to "Open with" and click on "Windows-Explorer".
To fix this issue at all you should uninstall WinZip in the Windows Control Center. If that shouldn't fix everything, ask again and I will help you with that.

And by the way, this Tutorial here is outdated. Check out my new red comment on top of this topic.

Return to “Cannot find controller”