Can't assign function keys from F13 to F24

ShinMagus

Can't assign function keys from F13 to F24

Post by ShinMagus »

Hello. I can't seem to be able to assign the extra function keys using Xpadder, i.e., I can't choose a controller button and assign F13, F14, F15, F16, F17, F18, F19, F20, F21, F22, F23 or F24 to it. I verified and Joy2Key recognizes these keys, but Xpadder is preferrable for me. Is there a solution?

In case someone asks me why I'm using those extra keys, it's because I use them as context-sensitive macro triggers in AutoHotKey - e.g., if Foobar has focus, F13 plays/pauses the music, if Windows Live Messenger has focus, F13 changes the status to online.... The side buttons in my Razer Naga are mapped to F13-F24. I would like to be able to do this kind of mapping with a game controller too (e.g., suppose I'm a bit far from the PC with only the controller in hand). Having keys that aren't used by default in any application is useful for defining your own behavior without fear of conflicts. ;)

Thanks! :)

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Can't assign function keys from F13 to F24

Post by Primal Fear »

It's not possible in any way to assign F13-24 with Xpadder.

Reboot
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Reboot »

If you want to use Xpadder, then stop trying to use those stupid “F” key’s and use ordinary key combinations,
You know how to use them!, it’s just a mater mapping something else to your macros,

Do it today and you’ll never look back.

Errol
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Errol »

Primal not disputing you or Reboot, I do believe that it can be done. Long ago IBM used that type of keyboard but since Microsoft Windows was released from '95 to present it would more or less use from F1 - F12. Even at the present time the Mac OS uses those Function key from F1 - F24

So to get those additional Function keys you'd have to press the Shift + F1 = F13 and Shift + F12 = F24 etc
So I tried it out by assigning Shift + F1 side by side in Xpadder and it does work with a program that needed the very same keys and guess what, it do work at least for me but I don't know for you guys. If I'm wrong I stand correction.
You can read some of the following links to see whats best for the op; 122-key keyboards; The Microsoft Keyboard

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I have read about that too. But pressing Shift+F# doesn't work for me in any way. Even if I change my keyboard layout to "German (IBM)".
This Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator seems also not to work properly for me. If I load an existing keyboard layout, the window stays empty so there is nothing to edit.

What keyboard layout do you use?
And in which program did it work that way, maybe it is made to detect this input like that?

ShinMagus

Post by ShinMagus »

Hmmm. I would post about this in the suggestion forums if it weren't locked. Oh well. :( I use a fixed set of keys because I'm not concerned about using a single application; what each key does is dependent on which window currently has focus. I sincerely hope support for these keys will be added in the long run, as well as knowledge of their existence spread.

That said, Smiley's idea - shift + F## - is promising (thanks! :)). I think this kind of combination is very uncommon. Off the top of my head, I only remember Shift + F10...

Errol
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Errol »

Primal Fear wrote:I have read about that too. But pressing Shift+F# doesn't work for me in any way. Even if I change my keyboard layout to "German (IBM)".
This Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator seems also not to work properly for me. If I load an existing keyboard layout, the window stays empty so there is nothing to edit.

What keyboard layout do you use?
And in which program did it work that way, maybe it is made to detect this input like that?
Primal I'm using a Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A
I'm using two very old 16 bit apps. One is called Merriam Webster's Dictionary 1996 version. This need no explanation, it speaks for itself.
And the other is called Legal Point 1.0a this 1996 program makes legal documents such as Wills, Deeds and any type legal docs.

You may want to know how I'm getting those 16 bit apps to work on my Win 7 x64, well I'm using a virtual machine, VMware to be precise and I have XP installed on it plus quite a bit of different windows and even a Mac OS installed. I have as early as Dos 6.something, Win 3.0, 3.1, '95, '98, ME, 2000, NT, XP, 2000, Vista, Win 7 and last but not least Win 8 Developer Preview. Oh, btw I even got Xpadder to work on the latest Win 8 just thought I'd let you know. The other prog is not working, just thought I'd let you know that as well

All my virtual windows from XP to the latest I use Xpadder in it and have enabled usb for my gaming device to be recognized in them.
I also have a few Linux type operating system installed and even the latest Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) 64-bit.
BTW: I'm a Beta tester for VMware so I get there apps for free. :D :) 8) ;)

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Maybe programs are the reason for that or the OS. I only have Windows98 install with Microsoft VirtualPC and wouldn't know how to test F13-24 in this version of Windows. I have tried Shift+F1 in Penumbra (to bind directly F13 and using Shift+F1 to trigger it) without avail.
I suppose that you have Penumbra. If you still have it installed, can try that too?

Errol
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Errol »

Primal Fear wrote:I have tried Shift+F1 in Penumbra (to bind directly F13 and using Shift+F1 to trigger it) without avail.
I suppose that you have Penumbra. If you still have it installed, can try that too?
Primal I must be missing something here, for the Penumbra series I have all three versions Requiem, Overture and the expansion pack Black Plague but I've not seen any such feature for my controls, all other kb controls I'm seeing except those Shift+F1 = F13 and all my controls are in the default.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I have used Black Plague, under Options->Controls->Change Key Mapping you can change the key bindings. Change any action to F13 by clicking on it and pressing F13 and try to trigger it in the game with Shift+F1.

Return to “Other questions”