open Taskmanager

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

open Taskmanager

Post by Primal Fear »

Can you open the Taskmanager with Xpadder? I wanted to, but it didn't work.
I use Sysinternals Process Explorer to replace the Taskmanager, but I think this is no problem. It still opens with ALT+CTRL+del.
ALT+Tab or CTRL+Esc work. I don't understand why it should not work, if other key combinations work.

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Re: open Taskmanager

Post by Terra Branford »

Try Ctrl+Right-Shift+Esc. This works with Xpadder's last build (v2010.05.03) and Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 64-Bit flawlessly.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

That works, thank you. I didn't knew this combination.
But it don't has to be right shift.

x79_animal
Xpadder Xpert

Post by x79_animal »

ctrl+shift+esc

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Ctrl-Alt-Del is a special key combination. It is trapped in hardware by the BIOS and passed to Windows. It was used during the DOS days to soft boot the computer. It was later used by the business versions of Windows 32bit OS for system and domain login. It can't be emulated in software because it uses a hardware interupt I believe. It would be a major security if it would be allowed through software emulation.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

haha wow i remember the days when hitting Ctrl + Alt + Delete restarted the computer. it would happen so often. Wow has windows come along way. getting a full system lockup is extremely rare now.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

SGTCableDog wrote:Ctrl-Alt-Del is a special key combination. It is trapped in hardware by the BIOS and passed to Windows. It was used during the DOS days to soft boot the computer. It was later used by the business versions of Windows 32bit OS for system and domain login. It can't be emulated in software because it uses a hardware interupt I believe. It would be a major security if it would be allowed through software emulation.
Aha, some professional Informations. I appreciate this.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I'm like an encyclopedia of useless information. :lol:

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Yes. Useless, but not uninteresting. :lol:

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

thinking about ctr + alt + delete makes me think of it is now safe to turn off your pc which xp i belive is the last to have that screen

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

XP? I didn't see such a screen, since probably 10 years. So how old is your PC? :shock:

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Farstrider i believe you are right. Until Service Pack 1 or 2, i believe it did have that. I could be wrong though. Those were the days where Service Packs actually change windows significantly instead of now where its just a ton of updates rolled into one that were already previously released.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Probibly depends on if the PC has a ACPI compatable power supply. Older PCs couldn't automatically power off at Windows shut down. Accourding to Wikipeadia, Vista dropped support for APM power supplies.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Yes, it's a question of platform (Mainboard and CPU) and the PSU. So not of the OS. If you would install Win98 on a actual computer (theroretically) you would see this message, but the computer would turn off automatically. XP normally detects if it has to show this message or not (Win98 didn't).
I searched for the minimum system requirements of XP, 233 MHz CPU, so it would be possible to use a Pentium2 or AMD K6 with XP. With this platforms there would be this message shown up. But in my opinion this is more Windows98 hardware.
Accourding to Wikipeadia, Vista dropped support for APM power supplies.
So thats just logically, because such old systems doesn't meet the system requiremnets of Vista anyway.

System Requirements WindowsXP: 233MHz CPU, 64MB RAM, 1,5GB Harddisk space
System Requirements Windows Vista: 1GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 55GB Harddisk space (40GB for Vista itself and still 15GB free)

BTW:I knew that Vista and 7 have high system requirements but such an large differenz to XP.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

SGTCableDog wrote:Probibly depends on if the PC has a ACPI compatable power supply. Older PCs couldn't automatically power off at Windows shut down. Accourding to Wikipeadia, Vista dropped support for APM power supplies.
i belive that was it. i maybe have 1 computer in my house that has that type of board/psu. i think acpi was in adoption by the time win. 2000/ME came out

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

ahhh well you really do learn something new everyday. thanks for the tid-bit! :ugeek:

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Going back even further I just about remember having to use the DOS "park" command to park the hard disk :shock:
Not only did you have to turn the PC off yourself but you had to put the hard drive heads in a safe area before doing so :roll:

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

when i tred dosbox on my wm phone last year i for the life of me couldnt remember half of the basic dos commands since i havent really needed them for either xp or vista/7 but i have an old reference book for all sorts of commands for dos.

Return to “Other questions”