No Controller found

Sqeekyabu

No Controller found

Post by Sqeekyabu »

I've used Xpadder on a vista machine for a long time it has always run well. When I got Win7 64, I purchased the newer version. When I load Xpadder, the program wont recognize any game pad. I currently have a Wireless 360 Controller installed, which runs all Steam controller compatible games just fine. I wanted Xpadder for BFBC2, yet this new version wont work. It worked on vista, which btw vista sucks which is why I'm on 7 64 now. I'm not new to computers, but I'm sure there is something I'm missing other wise it would be working :? . The controller box on top right of program just keeps trying to look for something, when i click on it it brings me to an selector there is nothing to click accept the advanced button which also leads to more none selectable options. I Also double checked to make sure I had the latest driver for the Wireless Receiver. I've rebooted reinstalled drivers and even tried screaming :x and pleading :cry: with the machine, but I lost. :shock: Any advice would be appreciated.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: No Controller found

Post by Jonathan »

Click the search animation in the top-left and it will open the Windows Game Controllers control panel. Is your controller listed there?

Sqeekyabu

Post by Sqeekyabu »

No, that's what I meant when I said I clicked the controller, sorry I said right when I meant left. It only gives me the option to click advanced which also doesn't give me any options.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

If the chart in Game Controllers control panel is empty, there is no driver for any gamepad installed.
So it's miraculous, that your gamepad works with Steam, because it shouldn't.
And without an installed driver Xpadder cannot detect your controller.

Stupid question, but did you already tried to reconnect the controller, while PC is running?
Sqeekyabu wrote:I've ... reinstalled drivers...
Normally Windows7 should install the driver automatically, so you don't have to install or reinstall something.
Maybe you use an incorrect driver, although it would surprise me if it would even work partially.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Windows 7 has a cool new feature called Devices and Printers, it should in the Start menu. It should show the wireless receiver and the controller. I tried just plugging it in and letting Windows update install the drivers and it didn't work quite right. I downloaded the driver pack off of Microsofts hardware page then everything started working.

Sqeekyabu

Post by Sqeekyabu »

The driver is installed I'm very versed in windows. When I was using Vista I had to manually DL and install Microsofts wireless receiver from the web site. When Xpadder didn't work this time I followed same procedure, DLing the package from same place SGTCableDog spoke of. I then proceeded to uninstall the drivers and software, and then used the package from Microsoft to reinstall. I did this before the forums, I should have been more clear on what I had tried before.

Windows Devices and Printers, recognizes the wireless adapter as well as the controller when I connect it to windows. I've tried reconnecting as well as rebooting. Xpadder stays looking like the image CIC Jonathan posted.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Can you test your controller in the Windows Game controllers control panel?
Do you have any games or emulators that you can test to see if they can find the gamepad?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Sqeekyabu wrote:I currently have a Wireless 360 Controller installed, which runs all Steam controller compatible games just fine.
I would call that "It works in Steam games".
Sqeekyabu wrote:No, that's what I meant when I said I clicked the controller, sorry I said right when I meant left. It only gives me the option to click advanced which also doesn't give me any options.
And I interpret here "There is nothing in the chart of the Windows Game controllers control panel".

Strange, not? :?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

In the first post Sqeekyabu says he clicks on the search animation that brings up Window Game Controllers control panel and the list is empty yet the controller works in Steam games. :?: Yes, very strange.

x79_animal
Xpadder Xpert

Post by x79_animal »

try and right click,properties, run as compatibility with vista since you said it works with vista, worth a try

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

X79_animal wrote:try and right click,properties, run as compatibility with vista since you said it works with vista, worth a try
I don't think that this is making any difference here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think there is something wrong with the driver. I'm pretty sure that there has to be three drivers in the Hardware Manager for the Xbox360 controller. Three drivers would explain too, that it works with some games but not with Xpadder and (I guess) other games. Because two drivers work, one not. The problem here is to figure out which drivers are for the Xbox360, because only one of them is called simply something like Xbox360.

You can look if every driver is there in the Hardware Manager. I have Windows XP, so there could be differences so someone with Windows Seven and good working Xbox360 controller has to verify that.
For me there is:
First: a mainentry, "Microsoft Common Controller For Windows Class" with "XBOX 360 Controller for Windows" in it
Second: an entry in "Human Interface Devices" called "HID-conform Gamecontroller"
And third: "USB-HID" in the same subfolder. The problem here, there should be definitely more than one driver called like that. So you have to figure out which of them, or more if anyone of them, is for Xbox 360 controller.
The drivers that are for the controller, should disappear after unplugging it, and come back after replugging.
Maybe one the driver has an question mark for "missing", an exclamation mark for "there is some problem with the driver" or an red cross for "deactivated". This would be the easiest way to see that something is wrong.

If one driver has such an mark this should be the problem. If one of them is completely missing this could be an peculiarity of Windows Seven too, so we still need someone to verify this.

Post it here, if there is a driver/are drivers with a mark or completely missing, with driver name and problem. I will tell you then, how to move further. Post it too, if some other driver has such an mark, could be important too.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I think I'm on the right trace. If I deactivate the "HID-conform Gamecontroller" device, I can reproduce this problem.
When Windows starts, the LED on the controller won't work, Xpadder can't detect it, it isn't in the Game Controllers control panel. But when I start Portal, the contoller LED begins to shine and the controller works with the game. Xpadder still can't detect it and it's still not to find in Game Controllers control panel.
So probably the "HID-conform Gamecontroller" driver is the problem.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

i'd try to remove the driver/app. & go into device manager after removal & under the view file menu select show hidden devices to see the driver leftovers(ided by the greyed out icon). then right click each of them then click uninstall.

if no greyed out icons appear in device manager then you will have to enable the option using these instructions
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539 (xp)
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/16301 ... ivers.html (vista)
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/77 ... html?ltr=D (7)

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

My plan is currently to fix only one of the driver parts. Only if this doesn't work, there is need to try to get completely rid of the drivers and reinstall it.

x79_animal
Xpadder Xpert

Post by x79_animal »

my driver is called xusb21.sys
and theres a .dll called wdfcolinstaller01009.dll, i hope this is of use

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Primal Fear wrote:...For me there is:
First: a mainentry, "Microsoft Common Controller For Windows Class" with "XBOX 360 Controller for Windows" in it
Second: an entry in "Human Interface Devices" called "HID-conform Gamecontroller"
And third: "USB-HID" in the same subfolder. The problem here, there should be definitely more than one driver called like that. So you have to figure out which of them, or more if anyone of them, is for Xbox 360 controller. ...
I have Win7 x64 and have the same entries in Device Manager. You can also change the view to "Devices by connection". In my case it is under: computer_name>ACPI x64-based PC>Microsoft ACPI Compliant System>PCI Bus>Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B3C>USB Root Hub>Generic USB Hub>XBox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows>USB Input Device>HID-compliant game controller.

I wonder if DirectInput isn't working right. :?: If steam uses XInput (is it Games for Windows compatable?) then it could possibly work there but not in Game Controllers control panel. :?: I wonder if the solution wouldn't be to install the latest DirectX package.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

x79_animal wrote:my driver is called xusb21.sys
and theres a .dll called wdfcolinstaller01009.dll, i hope this is of use

This doesn't help, we need the names out of the Hardware Manager, but these are file names.
SGTCableDog wrote:You can also change the view to "Devices by connection". In my case it is under: computer_name>ACPI x64-based PC>Microsoft ACPI Compliant System>PCI Bus>Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B3C>USB Root Hub>Generic USB Hub>XBox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows>USB Input Device>HID-compliant game controller.
Should be harder to find the drivers with this type of view, because everybody has another USB-controller. And in my case I could find only one of the drivers on the first look, with this view.
SGTCableDog wrote:I wonder if the solution wouldn't be to install the latest DirectX package.
Steam installs normally everything necessary automatically, so I don't think that there could something such elementary like DirectX be missing. Could be possible that it has a failure, but I would still bet on a driver problem of the controller. However it would be possible to check DirectX with "dxdiag".

Edit: Plus Xpadder detects DirectInput and XInput so I don't think this could be the problem.

Sqeekyabu

Post by Sqeekyabu »

You guys have given me a lot of possibilities I could look into. Thanks for all this advice, I'll check each of these things and I will post if any of this helps in any way. Again Thanks for the support. If you feel you need anymore information let me know.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I need Information about what your Hardware Manager says. And I think you should follow my idea first, because it's the most targeted solution.

Edit: I am getting the feeling, that your controller could have a technical defect. You said that you had this problem already with Windows Vista and I think this is a really unusual problem. So it should not occur again with an fresh installed OS, except there is a problem with the controller itself.

Do you have the possibility to test this controller on another computer, or to try the Xbox360 controller of somebody else on your PC.

Sqeekyabu

Post by Sqeekyabu »

Primal Fear,
I didn't have problems with the program while I had Vista.

I have looked through my Device Manager and couldn't find anything labeled HID-conform Gamecontroller while the controller is turned on.
Under Human Interface Devices the only thing I have there Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)
I'm assuming this is the root of my problem. Do you know how I'm supposed to get this driver installed?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Sqeekyabu wrote:I didn't have problems with the program while I had Vista.
Principally you had. You had to install the driver manually, and I think that belongs together.

Squeekyabu wrote:Under Human Interface Devices the only thing I have there Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)
Only one entry? Every Input Device (Keyboard, Mouse,...) should have at least one entry there. I have 11 entries there, with one keyboard, one mouse and two game controllers. OK, with the note that my mouse is something special.
This "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows" is only the receiver for the wireless version and has nothing directly to do with the controller driver.
Text/Images: Show
This is a screen shot of my Hardware Manager, I have marked the three entries, that you should have too (plus your wireless receiver). At least one of them should be there, otherwise it wouldn't work absolutely. Note: I have removed my second controller.

If there absolutely no entry with a mark in the Hardware Manager (no matter which name) and at least one of the three entries is missing, I would try "Search for changed hardware" (click on the symbol with the PC with an magnifying glass on it) in the Hardware Manager next.

The problem is: If this device isn't found (could have another name as long the driver isn't installed, but it has a mark in this case), it isn't possible to install a driver for it, no matter what you try.

Edit: Have you already tried to use another USB-connector for your wireless receiver. The best would be a connector directly on the Mainboard.
Another possibility is that the wireless connection could be disrupted.
Last edited by Primal Fear on 23 Nov 2010, 22:33, edited 2 times in total.

Sqeekyabu

Post by Sqeekyabu »

Here is an image of my Manager with the same options open as you. I hope I opened the right ones. Yours looks different, I believe Win 7 displays things slightly different than XP. But perhaps you can tell if I might be missing something. I've tried several of my controllers they all will play steam games but not Xpadder.

Edit: Individually attaching controllers to windows did nothing, for some reason I decided to connect both at the same time. Windows then decided to update the Receiver. Now Xpadder can see the second controller so it essentially works now.

Now for the new problem. Xpadder will only see the second controller, this is kinda an issue because I don't want to have to connect both controllers just to play a game. Has anyone seen this happen before? This kinda leads me to believe something is wrong with the driver for controller number 1. (I also tried connecting the controllers in different orders, it doesn't matter which one I connect first its always the second that Xpadder can see.)
Last edited by Sqeekyabu on 11 Jun 2010, 19:37, edited 2 times in total.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I think the USB input device is a equivalent of my USB-HID. So this should be OK.
But I see definitely that the "HID-compliant game controller" is missing. And this explains everything.
Squeekyabu wrote:I've tried several of my controllers they all will play steam games but not Xpadder.
What do you mean with several controllers, all Xbox360? Or completely different controllers.
If you have an Xbox360 console, and the controller you want to use works with it, it's sure the controller is OK, and the only problems could be the connection or the driver.

As I turned this device off Portal worked, but the Steam version of Assassins Creed worked not.
So I would say, that some games work for you, but not all Steam games.

Try another USB-connector for the wireless receiver, preferably directly on the mainboard.

Sqeekyabu

Post by Sqeekyabu »

I fixed the problem, I was watching the manager as I connected both controllers and disconnecting and as you said "HID-compliant game controller" wasn't the label for the first controller so I uninstalled the driver and turned controller back on. It now says "HID-compliant game controller" =] it now is read by Xpadder. Thank you for your help Prime Fear.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Which of the entries you have uninstalled, only the "XBOX 360 Controller for Windows"?

Sqeekyabu

Post by Sqeekyabu »

Yes I uninstalled "XBOX 360 Controller for Windows" now it says "HID-compliant game controller" and Xpadder is working. Heh... windows reinstalled with "HID-compliant game controller" name once I reconnected. Apparently when I installed using the software I DLed from microsoft website, it did nothing. by manually uninstalling it. Then it searched windows updated and installed what it needed.

I wasn't connected to the internet when i first build this machine, so it used a generic driver that windows had and was suitable for Games for windows. When Xpadder didn't work I tried DLing the software from Microsoft and installing it. That also didn't solve the problem. When I connected 2 controllers at once windows searched for a driver for the second controller on windows update and so i believe that's how it got the correct driver. So when I noticed the difference in names for drivers I told it to find another driver, it told me the one I had was good, so I uninstalled it and reconnected the controller. Once that was done windows redled and installed the correct one =]. Thus solving my problem. I probably wouldn't have figured it out with out your help and advice so I thank you for your assistance. =]

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

So the standard driver that came with Windows caused the problem, no the one that Windows installs out of the Internet automatically it's it's connected, good to know.

Sqeekyabu

Post by Sqeekyabu »

That is my assumption, it also could have been a user error. I may have installed something wrong. Unless it happens to someone else we might not know exact reason.

Return to “Cannot find controller”