Universal Gamepads (NEW!)

Controller images that are universal, functional only or for detailed discussions
Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Universal Gamepads (NEW!)

Post by Oke_Doke »

"Boxies" for big beefy controllers.
Text/Images: Show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
FIXED: artifact on right trigger of last image in this set.
"Stickies" for Dual Analog Stick style controllers.
FIXED: small artifact on the stroke of the right trigger in the third and last images of this set.
"Classics" for Old School Stickless controllers.
FIXED: removed the strange line on the left shoulder of the last carbon image.
The Old images are still available here.
ImageImage :?:
Last edited by Oke_Doke on 28 Nov 2010, 14:29, edited 10 times in total.

Mobeeuz
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Xpadder themed Universal gamepad

Post by Mobeeuz »

Simple yet fantastic idea, maybe something like this should be included in the default xpadder distribution...

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Xpadder Universals "Full" versions

Post by Oke_Doke »

EDIT:OLD VERSION
Last edited by Oke_Doke on 21 Nov 2010, 14:43, edited 2 times in total.

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Suggestions?

Post by Oke_Doke »

I'm open to any critiques of these designs. How you do you think they could be improved or expanded upon?

Mobeeuz
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Mobeeuz »

Just my 2 cents but I think maybe simpler is better, the more detailed you have it the less encompassing it becomes. Being able to break pads down to a few basic shapes would go farther, maybe try expanding to different styles of gamepad. One for ps2/3 style, 1 for 360 style then perhaps break into flightsticks and steering wheels? The idea being allowing users to customize where the buttons and triggers are for themselves, more like the third image.

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

/agree

Post by Oke_Doke »

Simpler is better. I started out with a 'tabula rasa' concept & started staking stuff on top of it, playing around with various possibilities.
I won't post any more experimental designs directly here. I have my own sandbox for that sort of thing.
Been studying game pad conventions and did notice they are typically two sticks & one Dpad with the left stick & Dpad in swapped positions on some (like xbox). after that the number of buttons & whether they have analogue triggers widely varies.
So it makes sense that something like the 2nd image would be a good blank template for any game pad. Maybe with out the triggers sticking out. (it doesn't fit some how)

Is there interest in blank templates for other controller types as mentioned above?

Maybe someone needs a vector Illustration of a fully functional aviation cockpit? ;)
EDIT: LOL what rubbish!
Last edited by Oke_Doke on 21 Nov 2010, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Mobeeuz
Xpadder Xpert

Re: /agree

Post by Mobeeuz »

Oke_Doke wrote:Maybe with out the triggers sticking out. (it doesn't fit some how)
I disagree, I thought that idea was unique and suited the overall aesthetic well. I'm just thinking if you can distill the gamepads/joysticks down to a few designs, it would be great for Johnathan to add it to the default xpadder package for newbies to start with. Having to go find images for your gamepad can be a pain as can be attested to by the dozens of requests. This would at least get you started and could easily be slipped into a wizard interface.

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Racing Wheel concept

Post by Oke_Doke »

A little difficult to make one size fits all due to the wide variations in racing wheel design.
As you can see I tried to accommodate everyone, with peddles behind the wheel & a "dashboard" for a stick shift or misc buttons on the right.
I've also made Xbox "Boxies" & other designs.
EDIT: Compression has ruined this image. dont use it.
Last edited by Oke_Doke on 21 Nov 2010, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Xpadder themed Xbox controller

Post by Oke_Doke »

EDIT: OLD Crap. Leaving it up as a reminder of how not to do things..
Last edited by Oke_Doke on 21 Nov 2010, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Oke_Doke »

YAY Magenta is preserved in the PNGs! :D
Last edited by Oke_Doke on 21 Nov 2010, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Universal Gamepads (NEW!)

Post by Oke_Doke »

COMPLETED! The New Designs are ready. Im open to any requests for variants (with buttons for example) on these images.

Mobeeuz
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Mobeeuz »

"Classics" can have triggers as well such as the Gravis Pro... Don't know if it's worth making a 4th, adding them to Classics or just skipping altogether... Otherwise, great design - they should be added as default....

/2 cents

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Oke_Doke »

Good Point, the original psx had 4 shoulder buttons, but they where only digital. I'll add some to the pack for the heck of it. More options :)

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: /agree

Post by Jonathan »

Mobeeuz wrote: ... it would be great for Johnathan to add it to the default xpadder package for newbies to start with. Having to go find images for your gamepad can be a pain as can be attested to by the dozens of requests. This would at least get you started and could easily be slipped into a wizard interface.
I am planning to do so. Oke's designs will compress perfectly and will eventually accompany Xbox 360 and PS templates.
I have already added the controller image compression system - all I need to do is add the options and data.

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Oke_Doke »

oh thats good, I was concerned about how the gradients would look compressed. I'm guessing you only need the Magenta colored ones. Theres also pngs with transparent backgrounds up there so they'll still work if/when png support is added.

Internetakias

Post by Internetakias »

I could use one of those awesome gamepads on my s&m theme!

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Oke_Doke »

Fixed a few render problems i just noticed about these controllers.

Decided to keep the Classics without triggers. Theres still enough space for four buttons up there anyways.

But just for completeness sake, heres how they look with triggers.
I'm not sure what my problem is with these, they look fine. But These sets look very similar to each other. Maybe I'm looking for some way to visually diversify them, yet keep the same feel.
will ponder a bit.

Return to “Pro Designers”