3Dconnexion 3Dmouse support

GTWillemsen

3Dconnexion 3Dmouse support

Post by GTWillemsen »

Does the program support the 3D mice from 3Dconnexion?
I.e.: space navigator, space pilot?

If so, is there any limitation to these devices?
If not supported yet, is there any chance of getting these 3D controllers to function?

What is mandatory for support for these 3D mice?
___
Why?
Some others and myself, looking for software/drivers, which support for the 3Dcontrollers functionality and put it to use in (any) game or other program.
The developer already restricts their program to be dedicated for mainly 3D packages (i.e. CAD, 3ds Max, (2D)Photoshop).
But the gaming community really can benefit from these 3D controllers to be seen and used as mouse/joystick/keyboard combinations, getting a lot more functionality from these devices.

Is it possible to use the Xpadder software to drive the 3Dmice?

Thread about this on 3Dconnexion forum: SpaceNavigator Driver - Mouse Joystick Keyboard
There is an SDK available, but it is of any help,.. I don't know: SDK

We are looking for 32&64bit OS support for:
+ Space Pilot
+ SpaceNavigator
+ Space Explorer

I hope we can find the answer and solution in Xpadder!

GTWillemsen

Re: 3Dconnexion 3Dmouse support

Post by GTWillemsen »

Some more info regarding programming and/or SDK:
Developer's Forum for Windows

______
ps: Is Linux support planned - or does it stay windows platform only?

GTWillemsen

Post by GTWillemsen »

Just bought, so I can suggest new developments!
And I will give it a look!

;)

___
Image for spacepilot profile:
spacepilotb00
spacepilota00
spacepilotc00
spacepilotc01
is converted to PNG, simply safe as BMP.
Last edited by GTWillemsen on 19 Sep 2009, 18:52, edited 2 times in total.

pggirvin

Post by pggirvin »

I'll add my voice to this request - the 3DConnexion hardware is really nice and would be *great* with Crysis, for instance, on 64bit Vista.

I'd definitely buy the program if it supported a 'mouse mode' for this hardware.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I did a lot of reading for a Saturday but it looks like they don't have a native game controller driver but RBC created one and tried a binding/profiling program to go with it. I guess there was issues with his binding program but the driver works and people have found a way to install the unsigned driver in 64bit versions of Windows.

So, as long as the device shows up in Windows game controllers control panel applet then Xpadder should be able to use it. There is a topic to add additional triggers to Xpadder that would greatly improve your experience with Xpadder.

@GTWillemsen: If you can confirm that the 3Dmouse shows up in the Game Controllers control panel and, since you've purchased Xpadder, if you've gotten it to work.

GTWillemsen

Post by GTWillemsen »

SGTCableDog wrote:I did a lot of reading for a Saturday but it looks like they don't have a native game controller driver but RBC created one and tried a binding/profiling program to go with it.
Correct this driver does function for SpaceNavigator(?), but not for the SpacePilot. This issue got unresolved, since the developer (RBC) stop developing (lack of time/other job).
Besides there are some issues with 64bit. (But since I have a SpacePilot, I can't even test this).

Due to these issues, we are looking for alternatives, and just found Xpadder. :D
Xpadder offers the kind of software what we look for.
SGTCableDog wrote:I guess there was issues with his binding program but the driver works and people have found a way to install the unsigned driver in 64bit versions of Windows.
See above comment: it doesn't function correctly/limited (for the SpacePilot not at all).
SGTCableDog wrote:So, as long as the device shows up in Windows game controllers control panel applet then Xpadder should be able to use it.
It doesn't show up without 3Dxware (original) drivers;
It doesn't show up with RBC (alternative) drivers; (but I have to test a fresh install, since I tempered with this computer/driver)
SGTCableDog wrote:There is a topic to add additional triggers to Xpadder that would greatly improve your experience with Xpadder.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
SGTCableDog wrote:@GTWillemsen: If you can confirm that the 3Dmouse shows up in the Game Controllers control panel and, since you've purchased Xpadder, if you've gotten it to work.
It doesn't show up (yet).
____
EDIT:

As long as the 3D mouse doesn't show up in the gamecontroller window, it probably won't show up in Xpadder either.
SpacePilot doesn't work for this reason (since RBC driver doesn't function yet).
SpaceNavigator PE seems to be detected in the gamecontroller window, according to "Anumunrama" over at the 3Dconnexion forum - who linked to Xpadder in the first place.
SpaceNavigator Driver - Mouse Joystick Keyboard
Anumunrama wrote:Windows Vista Home Premium x64
SpaceNavigator PE

for other gamepads if got a programm with is named XPadder with is realy cool ... but it dosnt identify the x,y,z axis of the SN ... but the Sn himself ...

maybe the programmer of the little programm Xpadder can help us ... but i think he would do that without a vain ...

he sayed that he work 7h a day and 5 days a week ... i think he CAN help but he need a motivation!

____
Ok, I tried the following: (with my SpacePilot)
- a fresh install of the original driver, this doesn't make it a keyboard/mouse/joystick or gamepad, so doesn't work;
- a fresh driver swap, RBC, this (of course) still resulted in the error code 10 (can't find/start device), this doesn't make it a keyboard/mouse/joystick or gamepad, until the device is detected and can be started, so doesn't work either (yet);

I hope that this is where you (Xpadder - developer) can kick in.
I hope you are able and are willing to do the programming work for this (and if necessary alter/tweak Xpadder accordingly).

If this means additional costs or if you need help (testing/images/, maybe raise some money, etc), I am willing to help you out and can attract some additional people/users from the 3Dconnexion forum to Xpadder for some more testing devices and of course indirectly it will affect the sales of Xpadder.

I really help you can help out! Where for thanks in advance!

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

I think this question can be answered in two parts:

1) If you'd like me to add support for the 3Dmouse by writing a driver or embedding non-controller support for it into Xpadder then check out this new post here - I have been contacted many times about drivers and so this answers all the questions.

2) If you can get all or some of the controller working in Xpadder (either using official, unofficial or drivers for another similar device) then I will improve support. See the link that Cable provided about additional triggers.

GTWillemsen

Post by GTWillemsen »

Ok, that's clear.
We need to find a developper for the driver, then Xpadder will improve the support.
Well that's already a half the solution,, so great thanks!

I understand the SpaceNavigator already has the RBC driver working, see the quote from Anumunrama in post above.

I'll keep hunting for a driver for the SpacePilot.
Thanks!

Kind regards,

GT

__
ps: when you need images for the 3D mice which already work, I might be able to help out.
I already posted a SpacePilot image in post above.
Space Pilot Image for Xpadder

pggirvin

Post by pggirvin »

The folks at 3Dconnexion must have rocks in their heads for not adding mouse functionality to their controller. Everyone I know that bought one (to try), ended up frustrated that it offers so much 3D functionality, but just too darned un-handy if you can't mouse with it as well.

Return to “Cannot find controller”