Wii Remote Support?

SnoFox

Wii Remote Support?

Post by SnoFox »

I'm able to consistently connect my Wii Remote to Windows 8 with a nifty program I found called WiiPair. Windows recognizes the controller and registers it as such. Getting this far, I thought it'd be safe to buy and try XPadder with my Wiimote. Xpadder can also find the Remote and shows me DirectInput readings. But they don't change.

I understand XPadder requires the gamepad to be properly installed with its own drivers to remap button presses to keypresses, so I went hunting around for drivers. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything other than using GlovePIE to map Wiimote readings into PPJoy (which defeats the purpose of having XPadder anyway). Having failed to find any drivers, has anyone developed a way to get the Wii Remote working with Xpadder decently? I don't particularly want to use GlovePIE again - It has proved itself rather unstable on later versions of Windows.

My final goal is to get the Wii remote to output either DirectInput/XInput readings to programs or get Xpadder to respond to it (through some hackery I don't know about). Any ideas?

Thanks,
Josh "SnoFox"

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Wii Remote Support?

Post by FARSTRIDER »

i have yet to see a standalone driver yet which last i remember if you can get PPJoy to register the remote xpadder was suppoesed to see it. it never worked for me but ymmv so only other options besides the ones you mentioned(and other free apps) are PGP & bluesoleil's gamii plugin.

SnoFox

Post by SnoFox »

Thanks. I grabbed a copy of Pinnacle Game Profiler after I found out what it was. It's unfortunate; I liked Xpadder but being unable to support a Wiimote is fairly annoying.

My primary use for Xpadder was mapping controls to emulators for my beloved, crippled SNES console. The XBox 360 controller's D-Pad is pretty terrible for games where I memorized movements for as a kid. GlovePIE is okay for some games. However, where absolute precision jumps in say, Mario, there's a large input lag that stops me from enjoying my experience.

I suppose it doesn't particularly matter. Jonathan already has my money, even if I am not able to use Xpadder for my intended purposes. :p

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

yeah we try to not promote the competition. i too found it to be limited plus i could never get the wii remote to hold a connection with those off the shelf broadcomm micro usb bt adapters. if i would have known it was for snses emulation i would have suggested buying mayflashes classic controller pc adapter paired with a classic controller which from what i remember works natively with xpadder.

SnoFox

Post by SnoFox »

I did consider getting a Mayflash adapter; however, I decided I was too attached to my freedom from wires. They're messy, restrictive and I tend to roll over them with my chair, eventually damaging and ultimately breaking the device.

It's funny. Windows offers several great emulators, many methods for synchronizing a Wiimote, yet no way to use the Wiimote or peripherals. On the other hand, Linux gives me one reliable, straightforward way to synchronize and use my Wiimote on any piece of software, but no quality emulators.

My efforts to get back my SNES games would have probably seen better results by fixing my SNES and controllers. :p

Thanks for the help,
- Josh "SnoFox"

Edit/PS: WiiPair seems to reliably synchronize a controller on Windows 8 with the Microsoft Bluetooth Stack. The package I downloaded, Wiimote-ADC includes both WiiPair and an example program to read all the input from the Wiimote and display it on screen, as well as toggle the Wiimote's LEDs and Rumble. If you're still looking to toy with Windows and Wiimotes, simply launch the WiiPair executable, press the Synchronize button on the controller; refresh WiiPair's Bluetooth scan; select the Wiimote; and finally press "Eazy Pair [sic]." This should make it trivial to reconnect the controller to Windows. I found Wiimote-ADC here, at http://goo.gl/nguFq9.

With some effort of learning AutoIt's programming language and the Wiimote library bundled with Wiimote-ADC, I could likely make some sort of program that would accept the Wiimote's input and translate it into DirectInput (or at the very least, keyboard input). But effort. I just want to shoot things and jump on turtles right now. :p

Edit2: Another version of WiiPair seems to be available here, http://goo.gl/D8tewc
Instructions for use, copied from http://goo.gl/JXZz4n
the pairing-process is as follows:
1. launch WiiPair (the command-line version)
2. if there are any wiimotes currently paired or connected, WiiPair automatically removes those to clean up the currently connected devices.
3. afte that WiiPair keeps looking for any WiiMotes that want to sync.
4. then i press the red sync button inside the battery-department (1+2 buttons don't work) on all wiimotes simultaously.
5. WiiPair should discover the wiimotes and then pair them (incl. installing HID-devices, etc.)
6. if WiiPair doesn't find or pair all your wiimotes, just try again. rebooting your PC and removing the batteries of your wiimotes for a short time might also help, if it's not working as intended

one the wiimotes are successfully paired, all all i have to do to recoonect them to the PC is press A on the wiimote. the leds on the wiimote start blinking indefinitely until dolphin (or another tool that makes use of the wiimotes) is started and takes control of the wiimotes.
Obviously, WiiPair only keeps the remote connected. You still need something to translate Wiimote events into keyboard or controller events. YMMV based on your bluetooth adapter.

Hope this helps anyone new to playing with Wii devices on Windows. :p

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

i forgot to mention last year when i purchased a new laptop it came with a Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 + BT 4 but because it wasnt dualband i changed it out. i did see dell carried a seperate adapter that would work but wasnt sure if it required an external antenna or not. the intel stack does work as i tried it before i removed the original. doing a little research i did read that toshiba's stack works.(for those who have the hardware after a certain driver version) i read about the wiipair method aswell but without native access to the controller its not worth messing with bt.

Return to “Problems detecting controller buttons, triggers or other”