[Bug] Xpadder does not properly recognize the Right Shift key

rolfwjr

[Bug] Xpadder does not properly recognize the Right Shift key

Post by rolfwjr »

I noticed this while trying to play Epic Pinball using the latest version of Xpadder (2016.05.01). That game uses Left Shift and Right Shift to operate the left and right flippers in-game (there is no option to remap the controls). I assigned them to the left and right triggers of my XBox 360 pad, however the result is that both triggers operate only the left flipper in-game.

If I go back to the keyboard and press the left and right shift keys manually, each flipper works correctly, so I know it's not a bug with the game itself.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: [Bug] Xpadder does not properly recognize the Right Shift key

Post by Jonathan »

I seem to have missed this post!
I have received a message from someone else with the same issue:
"Right shift and left shift are not split. If I assign shift L, it always answers shift R. In pinball games, with shift L and shift R, it always response shift R"

My reply to them was:
"Xpadder uses different codes to emulate the different shift and control keys so it should work correctly.
In the main Xpadder window the left shift assignment is a large white up arrow with (L) next to it. Right shift has (R)"

They were assigning the different shift keys so I tested via Epic Pinball running in DOSBox online
Ah, the memories!
This game responds to the real shift keys correctly. I created a quick Xpadder profile and the game also responds correctly to the individual simulated shift keys being sent from Xpadder

If anyone else has the problem please try the online game as a test.
It would be useful if someone had a DOSBox setup that could test in this game directly so the browser is removed from the equation

AppleOfMyI

Post by AppleOfMyI »

I am having the same problem. I am running xPadder on a new Windows 11 PC dedicated to Steam Pinball FX connected to an AtGames Pinball machine with a control deck upgrade. The right flipper which is mapped to the right shift key flicks quickly. Holding the key down does not keep the right flipper in the up position. If I hold the left flipper so it is in the up position and then press the right one, the right flipper will flick up and then both flippers go to the down position. They should both be independent all the time. Odd thing is that this only happens when using the pinball machine right flipper button. Moving over to the PC keyboard and hitting the right shift button in the same game session creates a normal right flipper response. Inspecting xPadder UI, xPadder shows that the right key behavior is normal regardless if from keyboard shift key is pressed or the Atgames pinball flipper button is pressed. The Windows virtual keyboard also shows that the buttons are operating normally but once I start up Steam Pinball FX or even Steam Pinball Wicked, it does not work. I have spent hours troubleshooting Steam settings and no luck. However, mapping the right flipper to the right control button and adjusting the game to recognize that key, works! But putting it back to right shift, it does not. I tried using another key mapping product and that does work perfectly but I would rather stay with xPadder because of its wide use. I would be happy to troubleshoot more, run a debug version, whatever, to figure out what is going on. I fear that Steam is picking up xPadder incorrectly and applying some kind of hidden override through Steam controller input but I have no way to fully disable that or troubleshoot it. Thanks.

Lou Brocation

Post by Lou Brocation »

I am having a similar issue with the right flipper not functioning intermittently during the game. Oddly enough this started only after using the Xpadder for 2-3 days during which it was working fine.
I'm wondering if some files have become corrupted in FX 3 in Steam.

Return to “Xpadder not working in game”