Autoprofile issues with DOS-games using VDMSound

cloudy_1985

Autoprofile issues with DOS-games using VDMSound

Post by cloudy_1985 »

Xpadder uses autoprofile every time for DOS-games, which are runned under Windows XP without any kind of emulation. With DOSBox, no problems are found, but with VDMSound, autoprofiles don't work.

VDMSound uses temporary PIF-files for running games, so, if the PIF-file is chosen as the title for autoprofile recognition, it will not work. Other option is to use program title, like "VDMS Launchpad - Red Baron 1". This option doesn't work either. I have checked that the title is typed correctly, but Xpadder won't still recognise it. I have tested this with five games, but autoprofile won't work for any of them.

I hope that a solution can be found for this issue. :)

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Autoprofile issues with DOS-games using VDMSound

Post by SGTCableDog »

If you open Xpadders watch list and then start your game does it show up in the list?

I don't know how these games work but I think the problem might be with trying to watch the PIF file. PIFs are basically shortcuts to DOS programs, its not a true program file. If you view the PIF properties it should show the path to the actual game.

cloudy_1985

Post by cloudy_1985 »

Yes, both titles for PIF and VDMS Launchpad goes there, and the latter title is shown up, if the game is interrupted with CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Like I said, VDMS uses temp PIF-files and they are needed for sound emulation. PIF-filename changes on every run and I doubt it would be wise to make Xpadder to watch what is inside the temporary PIF-file (actual path, as you said). Autoplaying via watching "VDMS Launchpad... " -title would be only true option for using autoprofiles with Xpadder.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

My guess is that the VDMS Launchpad window doesn't gain focus when the game runs so Xpadder won't load the profile. It should be safe to use the actual DOS program for the watch list. I don't think you can use the PIF file as a watch item because it doesn't execute, it is simply a container for for the DOS environment variables for the lack of a better word. I can't test this directly because I have a 64 bit version of Windows that can't run 16 bit DOS programs.

cloudy_1985

Post by cloudy_1985 »

I tested using the actual DOS program for the watch list, but it didn't work as the program's executable name doesn't go anywhere when using VDMSound.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

16 bit DOS programs are run using NTVDM which might act like a shell so the DOS program doesn't appear to be running, kind of like rundll32.exe. I wonder if you can create a batch file that will load your profile and start the game instead of trying to use Xpadders Autoprofile feature.

cloudy_1985

Post by cloudy_1985 »

Before taking a look at your idea, I made some extra research to find out why Xpadder can't read the titles. After doing some testing, I noticed that the title lenght plays part in it. I had already noticed that using a long title (it depends on VDMS shortcut's name) like "VDMS Launchpad - Very Long Named Game" got never attention from Xpadder. Then I reduced the title lenght to 1-9 characters long (excluding VDMS Launchpad -part) like "VDMS Launchpad - Game" and one trick helped the program to gain Xpadder's attention: Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and quitting Task Manager.

Then I tried batch file method. At first I was sceptical if there's any way to get it work. I spend some time and then I accidentially opened VDMSound's documentation. There it was: It was possible to use VDMS manually by using "dosdrv"-command. Then I made a batch file and it worked as intended. There was only one question: How to link Xpadder to it - in traditional way, or was there a chance to get it work via Autoprofile feature?

As we know, batch files have always the same title: "...\cmd.exe" and it can't be used since many different DOS-games use different profiles. Then I Googled and quickly found out, that the batch window title can be changed by using "title"-command. That's it. It was possible to use Autoprofile feature.

=====

This is how it goes (for those who need guide):

1)

Create batch file like this to (each) game directory:
  • @echo off
    title Game
    dosdrv
    Game.exe
(Replace Game.exe with the real name of *.exe, *.com, *.bat or so on, and put a proper title, too.)

2)

Create shortcut for each game(s) pointing the batch file.

3)

a) Run the game(s) via new shortcut(s) and let Xpadder to gather the stuff. Then, go and configure autoplay watch(es) by using the titles typed in batch file(s).

Or...

b) Close Xpadder and open Xpadder.ini. Then, put the title(s) typed into batch file(s) for the profile watch(es).

4)

Enjoy!

=====

Thanks for the tip. It worked. :)

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I was thinking about loading the profile in the batch file by profile_name.xpadderprofile if you have the filetype associated with Xpadder or xpadder.exe profile_name if its not associated. I didn't even think about the title command. Looks like you found the perfect solution. :ugeek:

Return to “AutoProfile problems”