Autoprofile bug - Does not work with executables run from mapped network drive

guppyd

Autoprofile bug - Does not work with executables run from mapped network drive

Post by guppyd »

Looking for some assistance here. I've been beating my head against the wall trying to get Autoprofile to work properly only to find there's obviously a bug in the code preventing this from working properly. I'm setting up Xpadder to work with HyperSpin and a handful of emulators. For now I'm just trying to get this to work with HyperSpin and NEStopia (Nintendo Entertainment System emulator). The same bug affects both applications in the same manner, so I'll just use HyperSpin in all my examples here.

Quick background: I have a server with a large storage array where I keep all my data, ROMs, etc. A while back I had a hard drive crash and lost my emulator configs, so I moved everything to a storage array on my server, which is mapped as the Y: drive on my HTPC. HyperSpin is located at the root of Y:\, so the full path to the executable is "Y:\HyperSpin\HyperSpin.exe"

I read through all the documentation and didn't have *too* much trouble getting going with controllers and profiles, etc. I got everything mapped the way I like, I have a default blank profile that loads automatically, and I have a Player 1 and Player 2 profile configured for HyperSpin ("HyperSpin (P1).xpadderprofile" and "HyperSpin (P2.xpadderprofile"). I start configuring Autoprofile. First thing I do obviously is set it to load the P1 profile and I select the executable by browsing to Y:\HyperSpin and selecting the program. I load up HyperSpin...no dice. I try setting the watch to recent windows, where I see HyperSpin in the list since I recently ran it. I have 2 options: "select program" and "select title" or something to that effect. Title works fine, but it won't work fine for the emulator because the title changes based on the ROM that's loaded. So I'm strictly trying to get program working properly here. So in the list I notice that it's detecting a weird path to the executable...instead of seeing it on the Y: drive it's pulling the UNC path with "\Device\Mup" in front of it...whatever that means, must be something internal to Xpadder. So it shows as "\Device\Mup\SERVER.myhomedomain.com\Users$\HTPC\HyperSpin\HyperSpin.exe". OK, so I select this program. All of a sudden it works fine. Great! I found my solution! Not so quick. I close Xpadder down completely and restart it. Now it's not working. I go into Autoprofile and now it's showing as "Y:\Device\Mup\SERVER.myhomedomain.com\Users$\HTPC\HyperSpin\HyperSpin.exe". How the hell did that happen? I look in the INI file and it's still showing the old path, but as soon as I close down Xpadder it writes the changes to the INI file which reflects the change I just saw. Obviously that path isn't valid from any standpoint (local drive or UNC path).

The only way I could think of around this was to mark the INI file as read-only. I manually selected the program from recent windows and verified it was working. Closed down Xpadder and marked the INI as read-only, then restarted Xpadder. This does nothing. Apparently it reads the INI upon starting but makes the modifications in memory when it's opened. Even though the INI shows the path the way it should be, launching the program makes the changes while it's running, it just can't write the changes to the INI file...which really doesn't matter.

Looking for some direction here. Is this something that will be fixed soon? Anyone run into this and have a working workaround? I'm honestly surprised that I couldn't just put the executable into the INI file and have it work...it apparently needs the full path for some reason. I'm dead in the water here...

oliver.whittington

Re: Autoprofile bug - Does not work with executables run from mapped network drive

Post by oliver.whittington »

Did you ever sort out this issue buddy? Im having the same problem! Also when you mentioned you load up a blank profile... are you referring to a blank joystick\gamepad profile or a blank p1\p2 profile?

guppyd

Re: Autoprofile bug - Does not work with executables run from mapped network drive

Post by guppyd »

I found that Autoprofile is basically broken in regards to what I was trying to accomplish. I worked around it by not using Xpadder's Autoprofile and instead using HyperSpin/HyperLaunch. It has integrated support for Xpadder and has it's own method of pulling unique xpadder profiles depending on what emulator/game you're calling. It works great for me, but if you're not using HyperSpin, I won't be of much help to you. Sorry :(

Return to “AutoProfile problems”