Alt+tab repetition

matthewjdarling

Alt+tab repetition

Post by matthewjdarling »

Hi all,

I've just started using Xpadder with an Xbox 360 controller to browse the web and etc., and I'm really enjoying it so far. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to set up alt+tabbing. The way I would normally work is hold alt, then press tab until I get to the window I want. With a button set to perform alt+tab, if I hold the button down, it presses tab constantly, making it impossible to pick a specific window. I've tried turning on autofire, but that just switches me back and forth between the same two windows (ie it releases alt in between tab presses).

In my head, the solution is something like: alt is held down whenever the button is held down, and then tab is pressed every 1s or something. I don't know how to translate that into the options Xpadder has available, however.

Thanks for your time and attention :)

[Edit: Apparently this is no longer possible on Windows 8, which is sad. Not something I expected would be broken.]
Last edited by matthewjdarling on 01 Jun 2014, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Alt+tab repetition

Post by Primal Fear »

To create the assignment for that you need to open the Advanced Assignment window. The assignment for that would have to look like that:

Code: Select all

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2012.12.31
Set1Button1Slots=Alt,Tab,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,TAP TIME 1.00s,Alt
Set1Button1TurboRate=100
With this assignment you can cycle through the programs by tapping the button again within 1s. If you shouldn't like the time that Xpadder waits before releasing the Window key, you need to change the time of the light blue tap time slot.
If you should prefer to hold the button, you can activate the Turbo in the Advanced Assignment window. You only need to make sure that the time of the Turbo always matches with the time o the tap time slot.

matthewjdarling

Wonderful, thank you!

For the sake of reference by newbies, setting that up in the GUI looks like:

And for the turbo:

In this case, "keeping the times matching" means the delay under the "turbo" tab is equal to the number in the "tap time" slot.

Again, thanks a lot :)

jeff299

Post by jeff299 »

This isn't working for me in Windows 8.1. I'm running Xpadder as administrator and all that jazz. The buttons seem to be doing what they're supposed to do but I don't ever switch between windows. Nothing happens.

Any ideas? Alt+Tab was my main reason for buying Xpadder... the launcher for The Witcher 2 always opens in the background from Steam's Big Picture mode. It's really frustrating to have to dig out a keyboard every time I want to play. :cry:

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Windows8 doesn't allow ALT+Tab as emulated input from programs without expensive code signing certificate.

jeff299

Post by jeff299 »

Primal Fear wrote:Windows8 doesn't allow ALT+Tab as emulated input from programs without expensive code signing certificate.
Oh.

So... there's just no way to do this then? That should probably be specified in this thread's first post. Win8 is starting to pick up stream and with DX12 almost certainly locked to it (and DX11.2 already there), it's only going to become more popular for gaming too. Xpadder should probably figure out how to support it. It's been a nightmare for me thus far.

matthewjdarling

@Primal Fear, thanks for answering the question - I wouldn't have guessed that was the issue! I have upgraded to Win8, but I haven't needed the alt+tab key in a while.

@jeff299, it doesn't sound like there's a workaround if the OS is specifically blocking Alt+tab :/ I can see why, from a security standpoint. The AutoHotKey developers might have found a solution, but I haven't tested it. It seems to be an alternative to signing the executable.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Have a look at this topic. I have found some possible alternatives to Alt-Tab and Smiley has posted a link to a software that is supposed to make it working.

Matthewjdarling, I will have a look on your link later.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

matthewjdarling wrote:@jeff299, it doesn't sound like there's a workaround if the OS is specifically blocking Alt+tab :/ I can see why, from a security standpoint. The AutoHotKey developers might have found a solution, but I haven't tested it. It seems to be an alternative to signing the executable.
This program seem to be able to give desired .exe files a code verification in a "hack" way, but only for systems where it is installed. If that works with the Xpadder.exe too, then running Xpadder from the program file folder (as also necessary) wouldn't be any problem too. I will try it out as soon as I feel fit enough.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I found a much simpler solution in the AHK forums.
http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/8 ... /?p=656501

So for Xpadder you go to "...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" and copy the WindowSwitcher.lnk (note that the file name will be somewhat translated to your language) to your Desktop or to "...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" (or any sub folder there), right click it (the copy)->Properties. There you bind any key combination to launch this file and click OK. Assigning this key combination will now do the same thing as Alt-Tab should do.

geezanansa

Post by geezanansa »

Hey All

Have been using xpadder for years and have always side stepped making a full working config for windows by keeping a keyboard connected. My wireless receiver for kb + m recently died so.... have been refreshing learning keyboard shortcuts and using xpadder.

Have been getting by depending on keyboard and keyboard shortcuts but after spending some time in steamos thought now is a great time to get steam client sorted to load at boot time along with xpadder profile for windows navigation and come across the alt + tab issue as well as the administrative rights issue. To try and get a "living room experience" out of windows it would be great to have xpadder working with an on screen keyboard (is it possible to get the windows one to see xpadder controller?) like that of which is used for assigning xpadder sets to be used for typing purposes or even speech to text or some method would be great. Anybody have a working solution or any suggestions how this could be done to allow xpadder to be main input device on windows?

The config file for the xpadder profile i am using allthough is still work in progress looks like this:

Code: Select all

;--- Xpadder Profile File ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2012.05.01

[Profile Settings]

[Set Settings]
Set1StickDeadZones=64,56
Set1TriggerDeadZones=1,40
Set2TriggerDeadZones=34,34
Set3TriggerDeadZones=34,34
Set4TriggerDeadZones=34,34
Set5TriggerDeadZones=34,34
Set6TriggerDeadZones=34,34
Set7TriggerDeadZones=34,34
Set8TriggerDeadZones=34,34

[Assignments]
Set1Button1Slots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set1Button2Slots=Mouse Wheel Down
Set1Button3Slots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Button4Slots=Mouse Wheel Up
Set1Button5Slots=Middle Mouse Button (3)
Set1Button6Slots=Space
Set1Button7Slots=Escape
Set1Button8Slots=Enter
Set1Button10Slots=Backspace
Set1DPadUpSlots=NumPad +
Set1DPadRightSlots=Tab
Set1DPadRightTurboRate=30
Set1DPadDownSlots=NumPad -
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Left Shift
Set1Stick1UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick1UpMouseSpeed=121
Set1Stick1RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick1RightMouseSpeed=121
Set1Stick1DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick1DownMouseSpeed=121
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick1LeftMouseSpeed=121
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Arrow Up,DISTANCE ZONE 10%
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=94
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Arrow Right,DISTANCE ZONE 10%
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=100
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Arrow Down,DISTANCE ZONE 10%
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=94
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Arrow Left,DISTANCE ZONE 10%
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=100
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Alt
Set1TriggerRightSlots=Left Control
After copying the shortcut into ahk folder in documents I could not work out where to put the script or how to point xpadder to it and in posts in reply to the AHK link that Primal Fear shares above i came across a keyboard shortcut i had not been using and was not aware of which is the alt + esc alternative to alt +tab and am sure we are all aware of using shift + alt + tab to reverse cycle through open apps so applying shift +alt + esc works for cycling through open apps in reverse order to alt + esc.

How to use the script mentioned in post linked above for alt + tab?.

Another relative issue to alt + tab and using xpadder is the arrow keys assigned to joystick are very twitchy and so much so are unusable by just assigning the arrow keys to joystick.
How to slow down key repeats or make just one click of each arrow direction at say 1-49% per sec then press and hold arrow keys for 50-100% direction for a more scroll like option for each direction when arrows are set to joystick?.

sorry for all the questions but it would be great to literally run windows with limited need to resort to keyboard and mouse and then having profiles for each game being loaded as needed for steam games by using xpadders brillant AutoProfile feature. Which is another issue - How to unload xpadder profile so games (and steam bpm or other app) that do have native support for controller work as expected?

Thx in advance. Thanks for putting up with all my :?: :?: :?: :?:

P.S. Using mouse keys and other ease of access options got the mouse cursor visible after mouse died so xpadder could be used!? Once i get a more complete solution i could then have a go at posting a how to. No mouse connected to windows = no mouse cursor :roll: :roll: Shame there is so many things to fix first though. :keen:

geezanansa

Post by geezanansa »

@Primal Fear Using the info from your post does not allow the setting of ALT + TAB as a shortcut. I linked this thread to http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=4237 which gives information regarding why xpadder can not use ALT + TAB. ALT + ESC is an easy alternative but this simply cycles through tabs and SHIFT + ALT + ESC cycles in reverse order just like SHIFT + ALT + TAB however it would be great if ALT + TAB could be usd in order to show a list of opened TABS that can be cycled through using left and/or right arrows.
Last edited by geezanansa on 28 Sep 2014, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

geezanansa

Post by geezanansa »

Primal Fear wrote:I found a much simpler solution in the AHK forums.
http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/8 ... /?p=656501

So for Xpadder you go to "...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" and copy the WindowSwitcher.lnk (note that the file name will be somewhat translated to your language) to your Desktop or to "...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" (or any sub folder there), right click it (the copy)->Properties. There you bind any key combination to launch this file and click OK. Assigning this key combination will now do the same thing as Alt-Tab should do.
Trying to assign any shortcut involving CTRL, TAB, ESC is not very easy if possible. Using ALT + NUMPLUS as shortcut like you describe is one method of getting the functions of ALT + TAB in windows.

ALT + ESC is an easy alternative to copying Switch between windows shortcut but this simply cycles through tabs and SHIFT + ALT + ESC cycles in reverse order just like SHIFT + ALT + TAB does.

It is great ALT + NUMPLUS can now be used in order to show a list of opened apps that can be cycled through using left and/or right arrows. Using the arrows group works fine from keyboard but they do not work very well at all when assigned to joystick using xpadder.
How do i configure xpadder to allow the use of arrow keys assigned to joystick for easy menu navigation in windows and for selecting open windows using ALT + NUMPLUS as described?
Last edited by geezanansa on 03 Nov 2014, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

pantafernando

Post by pantafernando »

Hi.

This alt tab key issue has been troubling for some time already.

I play ffxi, anffor month ive been using xpadder with alt+tab in the xbox controller triggers. I never had any issue till i had to install windows 8. In windows 8, as discussed, there are problems, so i did a downgrade to windows 7.

After installing everything, i noticed i was having problems with alt tab again. But it is different. When i do alt tab from keyboard, it works fine, but when i do alt tab with controller, if the active window is the game, alt tab stop working. As soon thegame becomes an inactive windows, the alt tab restart working.

Any way to fix that? Thanks in advance.

geezanansa

Post by geezanansa »

Primal Fear wrote:Windows8 doesn't allow ALT+Tab as emulated input from programs without expensive code signing certificate.
That is the only fix to get controller working with alt and tab. Controller can not be used for input device in certain cicumstances which now includes alt tabbing for window switching. The link i quoted to earlier from other Primal Fear advice gives copying windowswitcher shortcut and alt + esc (shift + alt + esc) as two alternatives for window switching over using alt +tab.

Return to “How do I do this combo/sequence?”