Can I emulate gamepad buttons?

arvid

Can I emulate gamepad buttons?

Post by arvid »

I have a simple gamepad that doesn't have a "menu" or "start" button. It also doesn't have a proper D-pad with 4 separate buttons, instead it uses X/Y axis (although only on/off, no pressure sensitivity). Is it possible to remap one of the other shoulder buttons on the gamepad to "start" and the XY-axes to D-pad buttons using xpadder?

My guess would be no, as this would probably require driver access or emulating a second controller, but I have to ask. If this is the case, is there another way of doing this, remapping in the registry or something?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Can I emulate gamepad buttons?

Post by Primal Fear »

You're right, this is not possible with Xpadder. There should be no problems for using such a controller in Xpadder self, but Xpadder cannot change the functions of the controller.

To emulate a different controller using the input of your real controller, PPJoy would be an option. But it is complicated to install if you have a 64-bit version of Windows and it is uncomfortable to use. It's also not under development anymore since March 2010.
As another possibility If your game should supports Xinput, you can try X360CE.

The Registry of Windows isn't a possibility for something like that.

arvid

Post by arvid »

Alright, thanks. I managed to find a gamepad with more buttons instead.

Darkitow

Post by Darkitow »

This is an issue that I've been wondering, actually, because it would be a really awesome thing for tweaking the functions of your gamepad in games that supports them but might not have the freedom that Xpadder grants in key assignments. It would definitely make this program less mesy with the setup of games that allow chatting, for example.

What would be necessary to make Xpadder able to assign, for example, XImput or DirectInput keys and make games recognize them?

Return to “How do I do this combo/sequence?”