Conflict with Ultimarc PacLED64 Board

paskoe

Conflict with Ultimarc PacLED64 Board

Post by paskoe »

Hello,
I can't get XPadder working when my PacLED64 board is plugged in (USB). If the board is plugged in and I try to start XPadder, it either doesn't start or it crashes before I can see any indication of it starting (don't know which is really happening). If the board is not plugged and I have XPadder running, XPadder crashes/shuts down as soon as I plug the board in.
Any ideas?
Running XP SP2. I guess you might want more info, let me know which and how, I will deliver.

paskoe

Re: Conflict with Ultimarc PacLED64 Board

Post by paskoe »

OK, I installed the no continual hardware scan version. Xpadder now stays running when I plug in the PacLED64 board but when the board is already plugged (for system boot) XPadder starts and stops/crashes right away.

Picked up the latest version (v2011.02.09) (I thought I had the latest but no) and I get the same result.

If hit the manual scan button (with the board plugged in) I get ->

DirectInput Error
Command : EnumDevices (Exception)
A device is preventing the controller scan from completing. Remove all non controller...... If using DirectX...... .

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

You'll probibly need Jonathans direct help. Expect a response from him more than likely on Monday.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

SGTCableDog wrote:Expect a response from him more than likely on Monday.
Just a update, today is Easter Monday in England (and also here in Germany). So response most likely tomorrow.

In US this holiday doesn't exist.

paskoe

Post by paskoe »

Primal Fear wrote:In US this holiday doesn't exist.
Really? I didn't know that....I just assumed it did, since it exists in Canada.
Either way, I wasn't expecting much until the Easter holidays were over. I havn't had as much time as I would have liked to tinker with it myself :shifty: . I'm just updating as I get different info.

I havn't been able to reproduce the above error message. Now mostly nothing happens when I hit the manual scan button but sometimes XPadder does shutdown/crash.
Still no luck getting XPadder running when the board is already plugged in.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Canada has socialized medicine AND extra holidays? I'll be moving north, eh? :keen:

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

actually most if not all stores & restaruants were open on monday(i say this because i had to goto work)

paskoe

Post by paskoe »

SGTCableDog wrote:Canada has socialized medicine AND extra holidays? I'll be moving north, eh? :keen:
lol, that's about all we have! :lol:
FARSTRIDER wrote:actually most if not all stores & restaruants were open on monday
God bless take-out on holidays!

paskoe

Post by paskoe »

OK, if I understand correctly, it seems XPadder stops because DirectInput is freaking out when the board is plugged in.
I started things anew and now the above error is given at each system boot (board plugged in and Xpadder in Startup folder).
The DirectX diagnostic tool crashes when it tries to scan DirectInput. The Windows Game Controller dialogue doesn't see any of my 360 controllers. Unplug the board and everything works fine.
That doesn't really help for system boot...

Might not be an XPadder problem :oops:

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Sorry for the delay in replying but it sounds as if you may have found the issue.
Performing a scan (either via dxdiag or Xpadder) kills other controllers until your board is unplugged?
This sounds like a driver problem - try removing the drivers (if there are any installed?) and install the latest DirectX redist to update any dx files.

The Windows Game Controller control panel is probably experiencing the same error as Xpadder but it is designed to be quiet. Xpadder didn't help much in the past either but now it warns of the these errors so we know what is happening.

paskoe

Post by paskoe »

Jonathan wrote:Performing a scan (either via dxdiag or Xpadder) kills other controllers until your board is unplugged?
By my observations, I wouldn't word it that way. The way I see it (I may be wrong)it's the scan itself that has a problem. I unplug the board, start XPadder, replug the board, Xpadder and the controllers works fine (as long as I don't shutdown/restart XPadder or perform a manual scan).
Dxdiag crashes and the Game Controller panel doesn't show any controllers, as long as the board is plugged in. No board, no problem.
Unfortunately, I didn't install any drivers for the board. It seems to use (based on Device Manager info, I can't guaranty I am correct in the matter) the standard HID compliant device drivers that came with XP and I have tried the latest DirectX redist. :cry:

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

The board appears to be a basic LED display system but it is presenting itself to Windows as a gaming device that produces output. This is why everything is crashing. We have had issues in the past with other hardware that isn't a game input device but reports that it is and causes problems with the Windows game controllers system as a result.

How many entries does the device create in Device Manager? Could you disable any game controller entries it creates so that its main functions works but the game controller issue is removed?

paskoe

Post by paskoe »

I communicated with Andy over at Ultimarc about the problem. He looked it over and found an error in the USB descriptor. He sent me an updated firmware and everything is a go :D .
Thanks Jonathan for taking the time to try to solve this. Really appreciated!

Return to “Cannot start Xpadder”