xBOX-360 Controllers - Multiple controllers on different computers in the same room?

a9e399c6

xBOX-360 Controllers - Multiple controllers on different computers in the same room?

Post by a9e399c6 »

Hi there fellow xPadder users.

This is my previous thread:

http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=304

In that thread I documented the problems I experienced when trying to use multiple Logitech Rumblepad 2 wireless controllers. In summary, there is a hardware-caused problem in that the Logitech controller is designed to go into a 'sleep' mode after a *very* short period of no use. This does not suit the software and solution I am developing, because the controller would, upon waking up, connect to the very first wireless receiver it would see, rather than the receiver it was last connected to.

What this meant was that controllers would jump between profiles and worse, a controller connected to Computer-A could connect to a receiver on Computer-B, rendering the use of that controller pointless for the purposes of input that was intended to flow to Computer-A.

I am hoping to find some wireless controller hardware that overcomes this problem.

I have been told that the Xbox360 controller does not fall asleep but others say it does, while some claim the controller will never jump between receivers.

What I am hoping to hear is that if I connect 4 controllers (and 4 wireless receivers) to Computer-A, and 4 controllers (and 4 wireless receivers) to Computer-B, if a controller falls into sleep mode when connected to Computer-A, it will not then connect to Computer-B if a controller also fell into sleep mode on that Computer-B.

So is this the case?

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Re: xBOX-360 Controllers - Multiple controllers on different computers in the same room?

Post by Terra Branford »

As somebody who has four wireless Xbox 360 controllers, two assigned to two seperate PCs, one assigned to a laptop, and the other on my actual Xbox 360, I can tell you that while the controllers ~will~ "fall asleep" (usually after five minutes of inactivity), I've never had a controller jump receivers to another system. They stay synched to the receiver they started on.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: xBOX-360 Controllers - Multiple controllers on different computers in the same room?

Post by Jonathan »

This is how I see things. Each Xbox 360 wireless controller receiver (either built into the console or a seperate USB device for the PC) contains a unique code. When you first connect a controller to a receiver you need to press the sync buttons on both the receiver and the controller. The controller then remembers the code that is heard from the receiver. Until it is re-synced it will only listen to and communicate with the receiver it is recognises. It's similar to remote car locks. When you press the button on your key every car nearby hears it but ignores it because the code doesn't match.

Xbox 360 wireless controllers are programmed much better than the Logitech ones and use Xinput too which is much easier to program.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

ive had issues in the past with 360 wireless controllers they dont allways stay synced especially if you completely drain the batteries which sucks if you dont have batteries handy

a9e399c6

Post by a9e399c6 »

RE: TBD2009; this is excellent news, thank you.

RE: Jonathan; Thanks, I will be using 360 controllers in my system now.

RE: Fastrider; Hopefully this won't be an issue, I will be using the recharge packs.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

a9e399c6 wrote:RE: Fastrider; Hopefully this won't be an issue, I will be using the recharge packs.
its happend to me twice while i was using a pack. & just before i downloaded the 2010 fall dashboard(beta) it would send a trigger signal if in the dashboard when the battery dies dont know whats that about but thats the 360 for yeah odd issues

a9e399c6

Post by a9e399c6 »

What about when you use it on a PC farstrider? Does the software let you know the battery has run low?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

it should warn you the same way it does on 360.

the only other time ive had an issue with an wireless controller was when i fully drained batteries in a wii remote which meant i had to do the permanent sync again

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

The xbox360 accessary software that is installed with the drivers on the PC tells you the amount of battery left. You press the the guide button and a popup shows the battery level.

I've personally haven't had any issues with multiple controllers in the same room being used on the PC and the other on the xbox at the same time.

Return to “Multiplayer/multi-controller problems”