FPS aiming help needed, emulation speed, dead zone

angst

FPS aiming help needed, emulation speed, dead zone

Post by angst »

I have used xpadder for years and I've never been able to get the analog stick aiming dialed in for first person shooters.
It seems like in theory that I should be able to use xpadder to aim with similar accuracy to what I would get in a game with native xbox360 controller support.
The balance between being too twitchy or too slow is elusive though.
In games with native controller support I can make small aim corrections fairly accurately and still be able to rotate the characters aim view around with reasonable speed.

I have tinkered with mouse emulation speed and dead zones quite a bit.
Using a higher acceleration speed in xpadder and a lower overall sensitivity in the game seemed to be heading in the right direction but it still isn't really jiving right.
Am I barking up the right tree by tinkering with the emulation speed?
Suggestions for emulation speed settings or other areas to mess with to get better results would be appreciated.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Re: FPS aiming help needed, emulation speed, dead zone

Post by mnl1121 »

Since you've been using Xpadder for quite some time :) and i'm sure you know your way around Xpadder, i'll keep this short and sweet. I would recommend using a second set. Basically the second set will be a copy of the first, with basically the only thing changed is the emulation speed of the mouse. For instance when you press the LT do aim down your sights you can slow the emulation speed by using a second set. This should greatly help you in what you want to do.

angst

Post by angst »

Sounds like you are saying to set up a configuration with different mouse speeds and to map a key to quickly choose between the two settings.
I can alt+tab out of a game and go to the xpadder settings quickly enough.
What I was asking was more along the lines of if there were specific values that are suggested for dead zone percentage and mouse acceleration speeds that will arrive at a better approximation of the aiming feel that I get in games with native controller support.
In ModernWarfare2 on Xbox360 the aim control feels right for both small aim corrections and turning your character 180 degrees. In COD4 on PC I don't expect to be competitive with someone using a KB/Mouse but I am trying to more closely match the stick "feel" like I get in xBox360 games.
Based on the visual curve on the mouse speed adjustment screen it would seem that you would want it set high such that it accelerates aggressively when your character is turning around and to turn down in game. This makes small aim corrections way to twitchy and sensitive though.
I am also wondering if I am even tinkering in the right area or if I should be looking for other settings to get it dialed in.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Yes you are tuning the right settings. As for specific values thats all based on your tastes.

Return to “Other questions”