install xinput in wine

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

install xinput in wine

Post by Primal Fear »

As you can see in the review section, I tried to get Xpadder to work under wine. The keyboardemulation didn't work properly, so I gave it up for the moment.
Now I had the idea to install Xinput in wine, but the installer from Microsoft does not work. Does anybody know, which file are important for Xinput (maybe at least Jonathan), so that I can try to copy them directly into wine.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Re: install xinput in wine

Post by FARSTRIDER »

i assume you have a 360/gfw controller? if not just disable the xinput option in xpadder

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

What does Xinput do, maybe it isn't right, what I think, that it is for communication between gamepad and game and the case of Xpadder between Gamepad and emulated keyboard. To turn it on or off didn't make any difference., I tried. This is because its not installed ,I think. At least Xpadder says this in the controller properties (Xinput not found).

I have a Xbox360pad and a Cyborg 3D gold Joystick ,both do not work similar.
Last edited by Primal Fear on 01 May 2010, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Now I tested it with this keyboard test program http://www.passmark.com/products/keytest.htm.
If I choose under "Match key code" "BIOS", everything works perfect. But if I choose "Windows", nothing works, not even the mouse emulation.
With keyboard and mouse directly everything works fine.

Edit: Mouse emulation does not work at all with this program, it seems like this program doesn't detect the inputs of Xpadder Mouse function. But this isn't a problem because the mouse works usually perfect.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

I am unfamiliar with Wine (both types :lol: ) so I cannot offer much technical support.
Xpadder uses DirectInput, XInput and various input-emulation Windows APIs. Provided Wine (or whatever program on whatever OS) can handle those then Xpadder should work.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Just to make that clear, Wine is a Windows emulator for Linux. Or like they are call this Windows Compatibility Layer.
So Xpadder works more in Wine than with it.

However, now I installed the latest "unstable" Version of Wine 1.1.43 (from latest "stable" 1.0.1).
And it seems like Xinput is now supported directly. So Xpadder says in "Poperties" under "Xbox 360 Compatible" not "not found" anymore, but "No".
But this for the Xbox360pad too. The keyboard emulation still does not work.

I will make a post with links to my two threads here, in the WineHQ Forum. Maybe this informations will help them (and maybe the they will use it), to make Wine more compatible to Xpadder. Or maybe they can tell me why it does not work.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Primal Fear wrote:...
And it seems like Xinput is now supported directly. So Xpadder says in "Poperties" under "Xbox 360 Compatible" not "not found" anymore, but "No".
But this for the Xbox360pad too. The keyboard emulation still does not work.
If you look at the Help>About you will see the version of XInput in use. "No" does imply that XInput is found and working, just not for your controller.
XInput only works for Xbox 360 controllers using official first or third-party drivers. Non-official drivers act as regular DirectInput drivers and do not communicate via XInput.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

The Linux driver should be unofficial enough. So this can not work. But I don't think that the problem is Xinput anymore, more those "various input-emulation Windows APIs".

I wrote every important information in the appDatabase on WineHQ.org. I think it's the right place for it, that the Wine developers can use it (if/when they want to).

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

If I understand correctly you can create a controller layout but the assignment key presses are not being passed? I would use Xpadders built in Keyboard test in the settings.

Make sure both check boxes are checked. If it works here but not in other programs running in WINE then it may be caused by WINEs imput method.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

There I had tested it too, and no respond.
Only if I use the keyboard itself.

It has only worked in the menu of Prey completely.

Return to “Other questions”