Saitek R660 GT Wheel and pedals (Force Feedback)

Tinribs

Saitek R660 GT Wheel and pedals (Force Feedback)

Post by Tinribs »

I have the above wheel. It is USB connected and works fine in most games. It responds to the test applets in Vista's control panel. It isn't recognised/doesn't work in any Codemasters racing game (DiRT (1+2), Fuel, Grid etc). Codemasters refuse to help except to say "we didn't test it - we can't help you". If someone could let me know whether or not Xpadder will help my situation I would be most grateful...

I am not in any way talented in scripting or programming so a simple means of solving my problem is necessary ;)

Thanks
Tinribs

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Saitek R660 GT Wheel and pedals (Force Feedback)

Post by SGTCableDog »

As the games provide for input via mouse and keyboard I see no reason why your setup wouldn't work with Xpadder. Xpadder has a spring mode for mouse emulation which should be perfect for driving games. So when you center the wheel the mouse returns to the center. Xpadder will not help with force feed back from the game. Thought I don't understand why your wheel won't work with native support in the game. :?:

Tinribs

Post by Tinribs »

Thanks for the reply - as far as I can see there is no native support for this wheel in any Codemasters game (!) They seem to have a problem when porting games from consoles to PCs and so can't cope with any kind of variation from "standard kit".

The games will display any recognised controllers inside their own setup options and none of them (DiRT, DiRT2, Grid, ToCA 3 and Fuel - as far as I know all console ports except for ToCA3 possibly) and the only option available is keyboard. With all the games you can change the default keyboard setup by replacing the normal keys with the controller motions (change the left arrow to the left on the wheel by moving the wheel left) but even with this option at least one of the games will not recognise the wheel input in the game despite recognising the input in the setup option...

Any other replies?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

With Xpadder there wouldn't be an analogue input possible, that would be enough for an racing game (except it would support steering with the mouse).

Maybe this can help you,
Xinput emulator

But it's not as far as easy to config, as Xpadder.
Last edited by Primal Fear on 03 May 2010, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

You can use Xpadder to assign the games steering keys to the wheel but like Primal Fear said it will be all or nothing just like using the keyboard, it doesn't matter if you turn the wheel a little or a lot, Xpadder will just send the key to turn. Kind of limits a driving game.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

i can agree i used a saitek gamepad with thier app. instead of the direct input method & it was a terrible experince

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Oke_Doke »

This problem reminds me of an old controller (psx i think) I had once that attempted to simulate analog for games that didn't support it (pre duel-analog era games) by changing turbo rates based on how far you pushed the stick.

0% was nothing
25% was a slow tap
50% was a medium tap
75% was a rapid tap
100% was a full hold

It might be beyond the scope of xpadders purpose to have a "simulate analog" check box.
But if a turbo slot where added to xpadder's advanced assignments, it could be used in combination with distance zones to get the same effect. In theory.

hmmn....

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I cannot imagine that steering a car in so large gradations would work good. Maybe there would be smaller gradations possible.

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Oke_Doke »

An over simplification of how it worked. I think the turbo rate was directly proportional to the stick distance.

I googled some more, still didn't find my standard controller but I did find information about a psx "Glove" that could switch between digital, simulated analog and true analog.
I don't believe the feature was very popular.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I tried to steer with turbo on in NFS4 (i know almost antique, but I still like it), and no chance. The steering wheel in the game only shrugs, and I am still driving straight forward.

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Oke_Doke »

hmmn..
The turbo gaps must be to large. and/or the key taps are to short. (instant I assume?)

What I'm guessing would be needed is something that sends a continuous key press that is interrupted by very short gaps. In other words the exact opposite of xpadder's turbo.

EDIT:sequence Key Tap Time can be adjusted under profile>settings... 0.10s by default.
increasing this value while using short pause slots might enable one to build a simulated analog profie. All where missing is the ability to recycle sequences. :(

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Yes, I tried it with 0.35s Key Tap Time and an variable Pauses. So for example "D [Pause 0.20] D [Pause 0.20] D [Pause 0.20]..." and so on. This works good. The problem here is, that the Sequence won't stop until it's on the end. So we would need something like an sequence restarter (to give this a name) to put two of them into a ThresholdDistance Zone, and between them for example "D [Pause 0-20]".
So this would be a nice comprehensive solution.
Last edited by Primal Fear on 08 May 2010, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

Primal Fear wrote:I tried to steer with turbo on in NFS4 (i know almost antique, but I still like it), and no chance. The steering wheel in the game only shrugs, and I am still driving straight forward.
you mean Need for Speed: High Stakes/Need for Speed Road Challenge right? i have it & the others in the series that was released with network play but because newer video hardware cant properly render that stuff i gave up but anything from Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 onward works really well with xp & up

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I mean High Stakes. Graphics works perfect on my HD4850, except when I alt-tab out of the game and then back. Then I have such an strange pixelgraphic.
I use compatibility mode "deactivate visual designs" on WindowsXP, but it's not necessary. I don't know why I had activated this.

Hot Pursuit (maybe with compatibility mode) and Porsche Unleashed worked perfect too.

Edit: Did you already tried to change "Software Renderer" in "Direct3D Device 1" in the 3D-Settings outside of the game (in the start menu).
Software Rendering looks gruesome.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

i think thats what it was but since i dont have a (uptodate)ati card it could have been rendering issues with nvidia. another game from that time line moto racer 2 looks great which is odd since it was ported by the same publisher

Return to “Other questions”