Releasing "Shift keys"

Toilet

Releasing "Shift keys"

Post by Toilet »

I currently have my game pad's shoulder buttons assigned to change the profile's current set while held (XPadder would change to Set 2 while R2 is held, then revert to Set 1 when released). This way, L2 + Button 2 would have a different assignment than R2 + Button 2 or Button 2 alone. Everything works fine here.

However, upon releasing the shoulder button while the other button is held, XPadder registers another keypress from the held button. For example, when I hold L2 and press Button 2, XPadder registers "B". Then, when I release L2 without letting go of Button 2, XPadder registers a keypress of "C".

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Releasing "Shift keys"

Post by SGTCableDog »

I assume button 2 in set 2 is assigned to while in set 1 its assigned [C] and not just a random key? We may have to wait to hear from Jonathan if this is a bug or a feature. :lol:

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Can you use the Profile menu to Copy the profile and then paste it here in the forum so we can see it and give it a try ourselves.

Toilet

Post by Toilet »

SGTCableDog wrote:I assume button 2 in set 2 is assigned to while in set 1 its assigned [C] and not just a random key? We may have to wait to hear from Jonathan if this is a bug or a feature. :lol:

That's right. [C] is assigned to Set 1's Button 2.

Jonathan wrote:Can you use the Profile menu to Copy the profile and then paste it here in the forum so we can see it and give it a try ourselves.

Sure thing.

Code: Select all

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
Version=5.4
Name=kalibard
Set1Button1Slots=A
Set1Button2Slots=S
Set1Button3Slots=Space
Set1Button4Slots=6
Set1Button5Slots=X
Set1Button6SetSelect=1
Set1Button7SetSelect=3
Set1Button8SetSelect=2
Set1Button9SetSelect=4
Set1Button10Slots=Escape
Set1DPadUpSlots=Arrow Up
Set1DPadRightSlots=Arrow Right
Set1DPadDownSlots=Arrow Down
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Arrow Left
Set2Button1Slots=1
Set2Button2Slots=5
Set2Button3Slots=3
Set2Button4Slots=2
Set2Button5Slots=X
Set2Button6SetSelect=0
Set2Button7Slots=U
Set2Button8Slots=H
Set2Button10SetSelect=0
Set2DPadUpSlots=Arrow Up
Set2DPadRightSlots=Arrow Right
Set2DPadDownSlots=Arrow Down
Set2DPadLeftSlots=Arrow Left
Set3Button1Slots=W
Set3Button2Slots=4
Set3Button3Slots=8
Set3Button4Slots=9
Set3Button5Slots=X
Set3Button8SetSelect=0
Set3Button10SetSelect=0
Set3DPadUpSlots=Arrow Up
Set3DPadRightSlots=Arrow Right
Set3DPadDownSlots=Arrow Down
Set3DPadLeftSlots=Arrow Left
Set4Button1Slots=7
Set4Button2Slots=0
Set4Button3Slots=Q
Set4Button4Slots=T
Set4Button5Slots=X
Set4Button7SetSelect=0
Set4Button8Slots=J
Set4Button10SetSelect=0
Set4DPadUpSlots=Arrow Up
Set4DPadRightSlots=Arrow Right
Set4DPadDownSlots=Arrow Down
Set4DPadLeftSlots=Arrow Left
Set5Button1Slots=E
Set5Button2Slots=F
Set5Button3Slots=R
Set5Button4Slots=K
Set5Button5Slots=X
Set5Button9SetSelect=0
Set5Button10SetSelect=0
Set5DPadUpSlots=Arrow Up
Set5DPadRightSlots=Arrow Right
Set5DPadDownSlots=Arrow Down
Set5DPadLeftSlots=Arrow Left

Chr1s
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Chr1s »

I can't recreate the bug here, Xpadder works just as it should using version 5.5. I have had similar problems in the past.

Toilet

Post by Toilet »

Thank you for the responses. I've requested access to the Buyer's section so that I can download version 5.5.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I tried this with both 5.4 and 5.5 and what I found is it doesn't show up in the Keyboard test area in Xpadder settings. But in notepad it happens as discribed.
@Chr1s- did you try with notepad? If so lets try to narrow it down. I'm using Vista, xbox360 controller.

Chr1s
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Chr1s »

Hmmm, it DID happen in Notepad. I don't know if this is a bug or a design flaw or a feature.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

In your first post you said:
Toilet wrote: For example, when I hold L2 and press Button 2, XPadder registers "B". Then, when I release L2 without letting go of Button 2, XPadder registers a keypress of "C".
The pasted profile does not contain B or C. Was this just an example? Can you tell us which controller you are using and in Notepad exactly which keys appear in Notepad when you perform the action.

Toilet

Post by Toilet »

It was just an example I came up with. From the profile I pasted, Button 2 alone would register "S", while pressing Button 2 with Button 8 held would register "4".

I'm using a Logitech Precision Gamepad. In Notepad, pressing Button 2 alone produced "s". Pressing Button 2 with Button 8 held produced "4". Releasing Button 8 with Button 2 still held produced "s". Pressing Button 8 alone did nothing. Releasing Button 2 with Button 8 still held did nothing. Tested with both 5.4 and 5.5 versions of XPadder.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Ok, I've got it now.

A cut-down version of the problem is:

Version=5.5
Name=(Untitled profile)
Set1Button1Name=Hold for Set2
Set1Button1SetSelect=1
Set1Button2Slots=A
Set2Button1Name=Release for Set1
Set2Button1SetSelect=0
Set2Button2Slots=B
If you hold down button 2 in Notepad you'll get the letter A repeating. Hold button 1 and Xpadder will shift to set 2 and the letter B will start repeating. Releasing button 1 will revert back to set 1 and again the letter A repeats. Throughout the whole session button 2 is not released and Xpadder is always simulating a keypress (the key pressed depends on the current set).

So you're asking if reverting back to set 1 stops the repeat?

There are two solutions:

1) Using the advanced assignment options add a pause slot after the B so you get:

Version=5.5
Name=(Untitled profile)
Set1Button1Name=Hold for Set2
Set1Button1SetSelect=1
Set1Button2Slots=A
Set2Button1Name=Release for Set1
Set2Button1SetSelect=0
Set2Button2Slots=B,PAUSE 0.10s
This turns the button 2 assignment in set 2 into a sequence and sequences do not repeat while the button is held down. This will simulate tapping the 2 key once.

2) If that doesn't solve the problem then we'll need to start a heated debate as to whether switching sets requires held buttons to be released before they can be reactivated!

Toilet

Post by Toilet »

Unfortunately, the first solution did not work. I added the pause slot for Button 2's Set 3 at first, as per your example.

Version=5.5
Name=kalibard
KeyTapTime=5
Set1Button2Slots=S
Set1Button8SetSelect=2
Set3Button2Slots=4,PAUSE 0.10s
Set3Button8SetSelect=0
In Notepad, holding down Button 2 produced a string of "s"s. Pressing Button 2 with Button 8 held produced a single "4". Releasing Button 8 with Button 2 still held outputted several "s"'s during the duration it was held. Curiously, pressing Button 8 again while still holding Button 2 produced a string of "4"'s.

ssssssssssss4sssssssss444444444444444444
The added pause did not solve the problem (key presses being registered after releasing a "shift" button). I tested it with added pauses in both Set 1 and Set 3, and with Set 1 alone, but got similar results.

Perhaps I'll throw in an option for solution 2 as my Feature X vote. Until then, I'll simply have to be careful to release the button before releasing the "shift" key. Still, I appreciate the replies and help.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

I've just thought of something else:

Version=5.5
Name=kalibard
KeyTapTime=5
Set1Button2Slots=S
Set1Button8SetSelect=1
Set2Button2Slots=4,PAUSE 0.10s
Set2Button2SetSelect=0
If you tap button 8 once it will jump to set 2. Now if you tap button 2 it will output "4" once and then jump back to set 1. Is this usable?

Toilet wrote:Curiously, pressing Button 8 again while still holding Button 2 produced a string of "4"'s.
This shouldn't happen. The switching-sets-and-new-assignment-still-repeats problem is more of a design quirk but this repeating 4 shouldn't happen because it's part of a sequence.
It's a definite bug and I'll add it to my list.
Also, in my example above, if you hold button 2 it will output "4" once but on release it will not jump to set 1.
This is another bug.
I think I need to have a look at the area where set selection meets sequences because something isn't quite right.

Return to “Other questions”