I didn't give up, and I was able to make it work

jjetsky

I didn't give up, and I was able to make it work

Post by jjetsky »

I thought I had posted, but when I went to bookmark it, it wasn't there, so I'm trying again.

I have been using Xpadder for about a year and a half. I got Windows 7 a few weeks back and thought I would buy the newer version as a thank you for the creator of a really fine program. I'm not at all happy about that decision.

I am not a newbie to computers, but neither am I a pro. I just wanted my Xbox wireless controller to work on Prince of Persia - Sands of Time that I bought last night. I have spent over 8 hours on this project, and it still won't work. I have the newest driver, have my 'antenna' plugged into a usp port, all lights are green. And nothing. I even tried setting it back to Vista compatible, and that didn't work. This just can't be right.

I even had trouble setting up the controller image which I have been doing for a while, it seems much harder to use and save. I couldn't even use my folder of saved images and access it. What's up with that? I had to copy and paste to get a picture to program. Even that wasn't easy, wound up opening one up in Animation Shop and copying it to paste into the program. What the heck happened to user friendly?

I know ten dollars is a small amount of money, so it's not that. It's just that I have spent so much time trying to make it work that I'm really irritated and disappointed. I just want to play my game.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by SGTCableDog on 12 Jun 2010, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject to reflect progress made.

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Re: I give up, can't make it work

Post by Terra Branford »

I have to ask the ~beyond~ obvious question here (sorry)... but does Xpadder work outside of your game? If so, then the game is causing the problem. But hopefully we can help you here.

Some games automatically elevate the "privilages" to "Administrator", which prevents Xpadder from talking to it (because it does NOT run with Administrator privilages by default). Close Xpadder by right-clicking the Xpadder icon in your System Tray (or you can click the middle-button on your mouse over the Xpadder icon). This is important, Xpadder must NOT be running.

Now go to the folder you have Xpadder saved in (I typically keep it in C:/Xpadder/<version #>), and right-click Xpadder. Go to "Properties" and under the "Compatibility" tab, click on "Run this program as an administrator". Apply this "setting change", and close the Properties dialog. Now run Xpadder (accepting the obnoxious UAC alert warning you that you are running a program as an Administrator), and see if it works with your game.

This typically solves the problem right then, and right there.

However, if it doesn't, make sure that (if you have one, that is, and you SHOULD) your Anti-virus program has not left Xpadder in a "Restricted/blacklisted" state. It's pretty simple to "Whitelist" Xpadder in an Anti-virus, though your settings will be different depending on the brand of Anti-virus you use, so consult your documentation for how to do so. After you've Whitelisted Xpadder, try running it.

Though, sometimes (especially in MMOs and online games), you have to deal with games that have anti-hack software... like the dreaded "Gameguard". IF your game has Gameguard, you'll not be able to use Xpadder with it.

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

Thank you for the response, TBD2009. I have part of it working now. Sheesh, you would thing so after about ten hours. It's been really frustrating since I have used this program for so long and all of a sudden, problems.

What I seem to have run into now is that I cannot reset the various buttons to the ones that I am used to, like X for fighting. Instead, it keeps defaulting to Y on my wireless Xbox controller. Which also affects the open and sheath weapon options. I can live with that for the time being, but don't know what other options will be effected down the road as new skills open.

I stay on top of my anti-virus protection and smack it good if it interferes with my daily activities, so that's not an issue. Of interest is that I went online earlier today and found a setup for the controls that seems to mimic what the controller is doing as far as commands, sort of, but not completely. I think that is what flummoxed me. It's not 100% one or the other, a hybrid. I could play the game as it is working now, but I know from having played it some years ago that new abilities open up and don't want to be in a situation that the new perks won't open up in the right buttons or not even be available. I prefer to begin as I intend to continue.

I got the game from Good Old Games. An excellent site for those that are looking for old PC or console games that have been upgraded to work on our new systems. I've been really happy with them so far, and don't think that is the problem, well, not exactly. But for some reason, the game is just balking at me using my own preferences where the cocntrols are concerned.

I did, however have a great deal of trouble getting my selected controller saved and usable. I don't think the instructions provided here are worth a tinkers damn where that is concerned. There is too much left up to by guess and by golly as far as I am concerned.

P.S. I sure would like to know how to activate a Notify email for a bookmark.

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

Hmmm... I'm starting to wonder if there is some manner of controller support already present in "Prince of Persia - Sands of Time", which can be causing the sudden button issues. If it has support already, then chances are Xpadder is sending one set of control data to your game, and the controller is also sending it's own data.

Though... if this was the case, wouldn't the game already have been "using the controller" before this?

I'm starting to think that the drivers for your Wireless Xbox 360 controller aren't properly configured, somehow... but, given that I'm on Vista 64x, I can't really know for sure. We need someone a bit more versed in this type of issue to help you out. I mostly use Xpadder for my own unusual needs (nothing game related, either), so weird bugs like this aren't quite my forte. Sorry I can't be better help.

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

I had the same thought last night, that the game is overeriding my settings. I'm going to go with that assumption and see what happens. Thank you for your help.

kesjan112

Post by kesjan112 »

I am using windows 7 also and just bought xpadder, someone said on my topic that you need to install drivers or something have you done this?

My computer can reconize my controller and all but when i try to set up my xpadder nothing happens when i click buttons on the controlled and its super frustrating that i just spent 10$ for something that does not work

Mobeeuz
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Mobeeuz »

kesjan112 wrote:My computer can reconize my controller and all but when i try to set up my xpadder nothing happens when i click buttons on the controlled and its super frustrating that i just spent 10$ for something that does not work
Check your original post for updated info.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

jjetsky wrote:...all lights are green.
TBD2009 wrote:I'm starting to think that the drivers for your Wireless Xbox 360 controller aren't properly configured
Normally only one of the LED's should shine, while windows is active (in most cases the LED with the 1 on it's side).

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

I am happy to report that my controller is working great, except for one tiny MAJOR problem which I just posted elsewhere. It was my fault. I had two settings reversed.

Yes, Keshan, I did have to download a driver, but it was part and parcel of my using a wireless thing I plug into a USB port for my controller with the first PC game I played using it, Fallout 3. The computer now has that reccorded and that part works great. Please don't give up. I am using Windows 7 also. This is a wonderful product. I used a free version for a year or so, and then was so glad to have it that I bought the newer version to say thank you. I admit, it is a bit hard to get used to. Just keep playing with it, it really does work.

Thank you, Primal Fear. I managed to work the kinks out. I love this program, but it's not really all that simple. Now that I have used it a few times, I'm more comfortable with it, but it does take some getting used to. Especially for people that are not used to working with programs like this.

I highly recommend the Xpadder for anyone that wants to use a controller on a PC game. Just be prepared to learn how to use it.

pewaller

Re: I didn't give up, and I was able to make it work

Post by pewaller »

Hi guys i need help - i am trying to get my saitek x52 to work within world of tanks... i have tried for several hours to get xpadder to accept my stick... i can get it in and get some of the buttons going then i save it- go to it and next time it has all disappeared.. once i have the profile i think is ok i go to the world of tanks and the game just will not see the xpadder.... i have just set xpadder to run with admin.. removed a block on it as well...... has anyone a profile i can use or can someone tell me how to do it? i am so frustrated right now.... i know we are doing something wrong here...

thanks in advance

paul

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: I didn't give up, and I was able to make it work

Post by Primal Fear »

What do you mean by "...and next time it has all disappeared."?

Do you mean the whole config for the controller, so Xpadder looks like this again?

Or do you mean the keyboard and mouse assignments (the profile) are lost, so like that?

Return to “Other questions”