Tutorial: How to create a controller layout

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Tutorial: How to create a controller layout

Post by Jonathan »

To create a controller layout click the Controller Menu button and select "New..."

This is the Controller Settings window. You are viewing the Image options. Click the "Open..." button to select a controller image

Download your controller image from xpadder.com, select it from the list and click "Open"

You can now see your controller image. Select the Sticks option by clicking "Sticks" in the Options panel on the left

Check the "Enabled" box and follow the instructions

Drag the Stick to its location in the image

Edit the name and type the name you want to use - perform the last 3 steps for the right stick as well

Select the DPad options from the Options panel on the left and enable, drag and name in the same way as the sticks

Select the Buttons options. Press a button on your controller and it will appear in the image

Drag the Button to its location in the image

Edit the name and type the name you want to use - perform the last 3 steps for all the other buttons

Select the Triggers options from the Options panel on the left and enable, drag and name in the same way as the sticks

Click OK to close the Controller Settings window and select "Save As..." from the Controller Menu

Type the name of your controller and click the "Save" button

You have now created and saved your controller file

Done :D

Sean

Re: Tutorial 2: How to create a controller layout

Post by Sean »

If you do not have any menus, is that normal?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Sean wrote:If you do not have any menus, is that normal?
It is normal if Xpadder cannot see your controller and you have the search animation at the top. If so try posting in the Controller Help forum.

8089a1cc

Re: Tutorial 3: How to create a controller layout

Post by 8089a1cc »

first off.. great program

second... did the tutorial and it was great.. but now do we have to go thru the buttons and assign them to there respective KB command? as in.. A button for jump...B button for whatever...right trigger for shooting.....

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

8089a1cc wrote:first off.. great program

second... did the tutorial and it was great.. but now do we have to go thru the buttons and assign them to there respective KB command? as in.. A button for jump...B button for whatever...right trigger for shooting.....
yes thats exactly what you need to do. click on the button you want to assign a KB button to and assign it a function. Then after your done with it all save the profile. You can make as many profiles as you want.

8089a1cc

Post by 8089a1cc »

mnl1121 wrote:
8089a1cc wrote:first off.. great program

yes thats exactly what you need to do. click on the button you want to assign a KB button to and assign it a function. Then after your done with it all save the profile. You can make as many profiles as you want.
yep.. thats exactly what i did.. played around with it after i asked the question. thanks alot

aztrooper

Post by aztrooper »

Did the tutorial, this is pretty slick. Best $10 I ever spent. Thank you!!!!

Mischugee96

Post by Mischugee96 »

[quote="mnl1121"][quote="8089a1cc"]first off.. great program

second... did the tutorial and it was great.. but now do we have to go thru the buttons and assign them to there respective KB command? as in.. A button for jump...B button for whatever...right trigger for shooting.....[/quote]

yes thats exactly what you need to do. click on the button you want to assign a KB button to and assign it a function. Then after your done with it all save the profile. You can make as many profiles as you want.[/quote]

I have done all that you have said up to this point. But now, I am at a lost as to find the screen to assign Keyboard Controls to Xpadder Profile. How do I access this. Do I start the MW2 program to assign keyboard functions to the controller profile? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Continue to tutorial 4 to create a profile or head to the Profiles forum to find a profile to copy and paste into Xpadder.

xy.james

Re: Tutorial: How to create a controller layout

Post by xy.james »

I am in dire straights. I have a relative computer knowledge, but this seems to be giving me the run round. I have found multiple different drivers ( mostly copies of the libUSB ) and none of them are working so far. ( Windows Prem. 64 bit ) I am now coming to the forums to get what forums best offer and that is advice or direction. Thanks for the time and help.

Controller: PS3 DualShock Sixaxis
Drivers: libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.10.1

cmwcolebrook

Post by cmwcolebrook »

You may want to update this as the new version looks diferent and has new buttons/interface.

dturtsenec

Post by dturtsenec »

Is a flightstick/joystick any different in the setup?

Logitech WingMan Force 3D joystick

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Same way. POV hat is ususally a Dpad.

dturtsenec

Post by dturtsenec »

SGTCableDog wrote:Same way. POV hat is ususally a Dpad.
What about the twist action and throttle?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I have used stick2 for the twist and one of the triggers for the slider.

Simply enable stick2, move the twist left and then click on cancel.
Same way with the slider. Enable the triggers, move the slider from minimum to maximum and click on "cancel".

govols9

Post by govols9 »

It will not detect me pushing the buttons, yet it knows the controller is there. It might be I'm using a USB cable. Help! (Im setting up a PS3 controller)

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

There is no default or official driver for PS controllers. You must first install a third party driver.

natshields

Post by natshields »

Jonathan wrote:Image
To create a controller layout click the Controller Menu button and select "New..."

This is the Controller Settings window. You are viewing the Image options. Click the "Open..." button to select a controller image

Download your controller image from xpadder.com, select it from the list and click "Open"

You can now see your controller image. Select the Sticks option by clicking "Sticks" in the Options panel on the left

Check the "Enabled" box and follow the instructions

Drag the Stick to its location in the image

Edit the name and type the name you want to use - perform the last 3 steps for the right stick as well

Select the DPad options from the Options panel on the left and enable, drag and name in the same way as the sticks

Select the Buttons options. Press a button on your controller and it will appear in the image

Drag the Button to its location in the image

Edit the name and type the name you want to use - perform the last 3 steps for all the other buttons

Select the Triggers options from the Options panel on the left and enable, drag and name in the same way as the sticks

Click OK to close the Controller Settings window and select "Save As..." from the Controller Menu

Type the name of your controller and click the "Save" button

You have now created and saved your controller file

Done :D

natshields

Post by natshields »

Im unable to assign any buttons, unable to assign triggers L2, L3 & R2, R3. Cant test any of the things I can assign. Also cant figure out how to post for help. Working on this two dats, about to pull out haie. PLEASE HELP ME SOMEBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ryan.gilbert9000

Post by ryan.gilbert9000 »

The tutorial was working fine for me until it got to the individual button part. When i push any of the A,X,B, or Y buttons it doesn't register and i assume a square is suppose to appear but nothing happens

ryan.gilbert9000

Post by ryan.gilbert9000 »

Jonathan wrote:
Sean wrote:If you do not have any menus, is that normal?
It is normal if Xpadder cannot see your controller and you have the search animation at the top. If so try posting in the Controller Help forum.
I did the tutorial but whenever i push any of the A,X,B, or Y buttons nothing happens and i assume that a square is suppose to appear but it dosent

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

See the answer in your other post.

Return to “Other questions”