How to Activate xpadder once game starts????

odyus

How to Activate xpadder once game starts????

Post by odyus »

Hi,
I just purchased your software today. *FYI* By the way, there is no xbox controller image in the file once I downloaded your app, I had to google that up, because I could not find it on your forum, and the pics to the left of your home page are "small" little stills, you may want to replace those with the full size ones for us newcomers to grab em early.

Ok so here is MY Problem,

I mapped all my buttons from xbox controller onto they're little kindergarten puzzle setup, no problems there, (I have the wireless 360 adapter) I then mapped all the keyboard keys onto the appropriate controls areas of the xbox controller image, no problem there, I then saved it as a profile located to the right of the dialogue box saying: My Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)

But when I start the demo I downloaded from steam, the game called: Amnesia The Dark Descent Demo
It's not registering my controller? I thought this program takes over automatically? What am I doing wrong?

I only created one profile, and I leave the xpadder app open when I start the game, so please someone help me....
Last edited by odyus on 10 Sep 2010, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: How to Activate xpadder once game starts????

Post by Primal Fear »

Do you load the profile manually or did you made an auto profile entry?

If you let the profile load with auto profile feature by detecting the process, there is a problem with this game and it's predecessor Penumbra. The game starts with a different process name, and changes it after completely loading. Because it's Window is already in focus, Xpadder doesn't detect this change.
Easy solution: Alt-Tab out of the game and back in, now the profile will be loaded.

If you load it manually, then the most obvious explanation is the UAC-issue

odyus

Post by odyus »

Primal,

First, thank you for such prompt help. Bless you friend.

I looked at your UAC link, I just now did the run as administrator steps (still does not work)
I know the xpadder is working, because just now, the A button on my xbox controller when I pressed it accidentally, it typed "A" here in this dialogue box.
So basically, the UAC is not the issue here.

What do you mean by "do I load a profile manually or did I auto profile entry" are you talking about the game? or xpadder? in the game, there is no way to choose the xpadder profile (unless you know of a way and you would care to share)

odyus

Post by odyus »

Yea,
something definitely not right. I bought xpadder to play this game on my tv. lol. since I read somewhere in here that xpadder worked just fine on Penumbra. I know xpadder will work for this game, so I am not worried, but I definitely need "the vet's" here on these forums like you Primal to help figure this out with me.
My minimal understanding, I don't know what I will accomplish alone, but I will keep plugging away best I can.

Primal,
I minimized the game window, and I have the xpadder window right beside it, I see clearly everytime when I press the buttons on the xpadder window,
the game, for some reason is straight oblivious to whats going on.
can you download the free game demo and check it out bud? I am pretty sure you will figure it out in no time.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

odyus wrote:What do you mean by "do I load a profile manually or did I auto profile entry" are you talking about the game? or xpadder?
I mean Xpadder, the game normally doesn't even recognize that the signal comes from Xpadder instead of a real keyboard and mouse.
Before you start the game, you have to load the profile you made in Xpadder every time. If you want that Xpadder does this automatically for you, you can use the Auto Profile feature in the options.
But until it works I would load it manually to prevent problem with this.

If you close the Xpadder main window by clicking on the cross on the upper right edge, Xpadder still stays in system tray. You would have to close it there, so you can close the window and Xpadder is still working as normal.
odyus wrote:can you download the free game demo and check it out bud? I am pretty sure you will figure it out in no time.
I have already played this demo as well as Penumbra, and except of this small problem with the auto profile feature Xpadder works just fine. If you anyways load the profile manually, there should be absolutely no problems with these games.

I guess you have assigned the mouse emulation to the right stick. Does it work within Windows?

odyus

Post by odyus »

Primal,
your excellent brother, thanks! You are great support. I plan on visiting these forums quiet often and helping you out my friend as best I can with the new people.

Onto the issue:
I will go into settings and check that out right now asap.

By the way (off topic real quick)
How do I save my xpadder "profile picture" like you did up there, so I can then show show you how I have my profile setup. I think its the "printscreen button" right?
(if this is a dumb question, I apologize, its been awhile since I have messed around with pc's, just getting back in)
Primal Fear wrote:I guess you have assigned the mouse emulation to the right stick. Does it work within Windows?

Now as far as this question goes, I have no idea, how to set up the mouse emulation on the right stick, when you say emulation, I am assuming you mean, when you move the mouse, the guys head moves around in his virtual world.

That's the only thing I have not assigned *mouse emulation* because (this may sound ignorant) I thought it automatically assigns. The reason that lead me into thinking it would assign automatically, is because I used the ingame "control input scheme" in helping me decide what "keyboard button" to transfer onto my 360 "controller layout" The only thing, that was not listed in the ingame "control input" was the way the guy moves his head around in the game. So I have not figured that out. Can you also help me with that? and yes I would like to assign it to the right stick. Thanks. (Actually I think I assigned it just now, I connected the mouse wheel icons that go 4 ways onto the right stick, I then clicked on the wrench locate next to the right stick picture and made it 8 way, so hopefully this works. Will update in a few.

*UPDATE*
I went to the settings showed above in your picture. I then selected my profile (which I named amnesia), I also set it to *watch* for when the game turns on. (I am assuming that's what WATCH means) so I went into the steamapps folder, and chose the Amnesia.exe icon. Still, does not work. I will now try restarting all the programs and see what transpires. Will update you.

*UPDATE*
The mouse emulation does not work in windows

*UPDATE*
I don't know what I am doing wrong. I see the buttons working exactly as they should when I have the xpadder window open. I went into the profile settings. I activated my profile (it is the only one active) I then set the watch, to watch the steamapp of amnesia. still no jumpshot. Above my profile is a profile that says none with a "red deactivated icon" around it & watch says default.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

odyus wrote:How do I save my xpadder "profile picture" like you did up there, so I can then show show you how I have my profile setup. I think its the "printscreen button" right?
You could make a screenshot and upload it, but the forum doesn't support this directly. You can just link pictures you uploaded somewhere else, for example Image Shack.

Better you upload your profile.
  • Open your profile in Xpadder and click on the profile button (the sheet symbol, next to the profile name)
    Click on "copy" and then paste this text here in a code box, like you did with quotes
So I could check your profile directly in Xpadder.

odyus wrote:Actually I think I assigned it just now, I connected the mouse wheel icons that go 4 ways onto the right stick, I then clicked on the wrench locate next to the right stick picture and made it 8 way, so hopefully this works.

*UPDATE*
The mouse emulation does not work in windows
You did it wrong, thats for the mouse wheel.
You have to click on the tool symbol (wrench) near the stick, and then on mouse normal.
If you want to change the speed of the mouse movement, you have click on the too symbol and then on "Mouse Settings"
Here you can adjust the speed with the two slider in the middle.

*UPDATE*
I went into the profile settings. I activated my profile (it is the only one active) I then set the watch, to watch the steamapp of amnesia. still no jumpshot. Above my profile is a profile that says none with a "red deactivated icon" around it & watch says default.
Well the detecting the .exe seems not really to work with Steam games, I use normally the the process detection.
Edit: OK, with this game it works. And better then with the process detection in this case. :oops:

However you don't need that, you can manually open the profile before starting the game.
I think I will make a tutorial how to use the Auto Profile feature next days.
Last edited by Primal Fear on 11 Sep 2010, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

odyus

Post by odyus »

I will try that when I get back from the gym Primal, thanks sir.

odyus

Post by odyus »

PROFILE SETUP: I deactivated the second one, due to you telling me the "watch of the steamapp does not matter"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

CONTROLLER SETUP: I did mouse emulation exactly as you mentioned (I had 8way, but realized, it does not need it for 3-d head movement- so I took it off) Also, it does work in Windows now

Now what is weird, when I load the game, it "stops" the controller from taking over the mouse emulation duties out in windows. I turn on the game with a minimized screen, so that I can watch the xpadder window as I press the buttons (should I not do this?)

There are the setup's champ. I'll let you have it.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

You have your Amnesia profile as default, this means Xpadder will load it... in your case, currently ever.
Tomorrow I will complete my AutoProfile tutorial and put it online, so this is OK until then.
odyus wrote:CONTROLLER SETUP: I did mouse emulation exactly as you mentioned (I had 8way, but realized, it does not need it) Also, it does work in Windows now
The 8-way isn't good. Xpadder will put the straight directions automatically together for the diagonal directions. If you don't do that, the diagonal directions will be missing with 8-way.
Apart from that your profile looks good. The only thing that you should remove is the toggle mode for crouch, the game does this automatically.

If you have Xpadder running when you start the game, everything should work fine.
If it doesn't, I don't really know what else the problem should be.

Edit:
odysus wrote:Now what is weird, when I load the game, it "stops" the controller from taking over the mouse emulation duties out in windows. I turn on the game with a minimized screen, so that I can watch the xpadder window as I press the buttons (should I not do this?)
If you start the minimizes this shouldn't make any problems.

I had a strange problem with this game too. If I Alt-Tab out of the game, my mouse arrow is stuck in the upper left edge of my screen. But in the game it works. Does that sound like your mouse problem?

odyus

Post by odyus »

Primal Fear wrote:I had a strange problem with this game too. If I Alt-Tab out of the game, my mouse arrow is stuck in the upper left edge of my screen. But in the game it works. Does that sound like your mouse problem?

hey,
yea i did notice my mouse was stuck in the upper left corner many times, but then, it would work again. let me try that alt-tab thing. i'll get back to you.

Now if this does not work, then as you can see, I have everything set correctly. Something I am doing wrong or Maybe its because it is a demo and the not the full version? I'll let you know what transpires.

*UPDATE*
Alt-Tab not working.

The only time my mouse gets stuck at the upper corner is when I first launch the game, and it pops up with that "Descent Launcher" window, that shows the Graphic Card and Sound options. I have a curiosity about something... what about that microsoft security rights thing that pops up every time I launch the game- asking me do I want to give the game permissions. Could this be stopping xpadder from working within the game? It also stops the emulation of mouse control from the controller working in windows as well.

*UPDATE 2*
I figured out how to get mouse emulation to work (but only the mouse emulation) the rest of the buttons wont work and neither will the left stick! Even though when I am pressing on them, xpadder shows them greening up.

So.., anyways, I have managed to get the mouse emulation to work ingame menu screen, but it happens (Rarely) This is what I have to do, Notice the *yellow* area on the upper left side of the game window in the picture below. (I'll pause while you look) .... ..., Well, I have to keep clicking on the left mouse button on my 360 controller (which is the "X" button) I keep clicking on this simultaneously--- just as I am about to alt-tab from internet browser window ~~ onto~~ the game window, just then at that "awkward instant" (Let's just call that whole process *awkward instant* for now on so I don't have to recite)

Moving on, at that "awkward instant" I am allowed to enter the game window via mouse emulation, but the rest of the buttons don't work neither will left stick. I then, started the game via my laptop keyboard until I had the video game character out there. That's when I did the "awkward instant" thing again, once in game mode, I was able to move the characters head via mouse emulation(right stick), but again all the other buttons & left stick will not respond- not even "X" button on my 360 controller, which is the button, that activates "awkward instant". Weird huh?

However, all buttons & sticks work fine here on windows and even here on the forum, letters and all. This is definitely a strong chess move to counter.

*UPDATE 3*
Just confirmed, the only thing working is the right stick (mouse emulation), everything else is not working. The only time "X button" (left mouse button on 360 controller) works is when I activate "awkward instant* which I now activate with ease. Don't know how I'll be able to activate it later when I make the game window take up the entire laptop screen- but I can cross that bridge when I get there. Only problem now is getting these buttons to work in the game.

*UPDATE 4*
I just downloaded the demo of Mount & Blade: Warband. Xpadder is Working Fine with it. 2 Quick questions, how do I assign a button, other controls within it, for example, you can issue up to 6 or 8 commands, well, can I just hold down one button, and then all the command will pop up from there, then I all I would have to do is choose which of the 1 thru 8 command I want? (I hope I explained that well)

Also,
how do I get my xbox control to rumble when I get attacked or injured? is there like a haptic feedback option with xpadder?

(So as we can see, I am having issues with Amnesia) That is the culprit game right now. lol.

odyus

Post by odyus »

Success.

I don't know why all of a sudden it started working, but I had to start up xpadder through the "run as administrator" this definitely sucks. I could swear I did this before and it did not work at the time so I ignored it.

Is there a way to automatically launch xpadder as administrator or do I always have to right click on xpadder icon and run it as administrator manually?

At least, finally, there is success.. I spent all day on this. lol. I feel... accomplished.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I guess this "run as administrator" is a all time configuration, so you don't have to do this ever and ever again.
But since I still use Windows XP, I don't know this exactly. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

its a temp. setting but you can also set it perm. using the compatability tab(like in xp)

odyus

Post by odyus »

FARSTRIDER wrote:its a temp. setting but you can also set it perm. using the compatability tab(like in xp)

Primal & Fastrider. Thanks fellas.

lets just call me a fragmented noob. Where exactly is this "compatibility tab" by the way I have windows 7.
Can you give me a detailed walk through how to get there? thanks (In the mean time I will google it & youtube it) to see if I can get a walkthrough.

Shiat! I spent my whole Saturday on here yesterday. lol, I am taking a break today. In the meantime....

Primal,
2 questions:

1)how do I assign a button, other controls within it, for example, you can issue up to 6 or 8 commands, well, can I just hold down one button, and then all the command will pop up from there, then I all I would have to do is choose which of the 1 thru 8 command I want? (I hope I explained that well)

2) How do I get my xbox control to rumble when I get attacked or injured? is there like a haptic feedback option with xpadder?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

goto where you store the xpadder exe file in windows explorer

right click it

select properties. (which will bring up the window with the compatability tab)

click change settings for all users

click the box beside (run this program as an administrator)

click ok

click ok

totorial finished

odyus

Post by odyus »

Thanks Fastrider,

I just did it, it works.

Well, I guess this thread Should be closed. Mission Complete.
I Odyus confirms that Xpadder works for Mount & Blade: Warband & it also works for Amnesia: The Descent.

To all you new comers, I too am new. I hope this thread helps you guys out with any issues. Peace.

Return to “Other questions”