Cursor speed changing randomly

eyeraiseyou3

Cursor speed changing randomly

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

When I check in options to have it start up with windows it does, no errors, and you think everything is good. However when you go to use it, theres some lag when opening say firefox, itunes etc, and the movement of the xbox360 analog stick to move the cursor lags around.

However, if i dont have that option checked. And i start up windows and reboot. Then manually on my own open xpadder 5.7 on vista, then that lag issue is gone and xpadder finally works 100% perfect.

Any ideas?

eyeraiseyou3

Re: Start Up with Windows Problem

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

it is the newest version fyi v2010.06.03. It's driving me crazy to not be able to have it load automatically on startup.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

nobody can help?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Did you already tried to disable this option, and to put instead a link file in the autostart folder you fin in the Start Menu?

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

yes same thing happens. regardless if i use the option or put xpadder in my startup folder. its very strange. there is a huge amount of cursor movement lag if i auto open it either of those ways. other than that i have zero issues, everything has been perfect. if i open it on my own after booting, everything is fine. any suggestions?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

After starting Xpadder with Windows open the task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Escape), go to the processes tab and see how much CPU Xpadder.exe is using. It should be 0 or very close?

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

Correct, i put an xpadder shortcut in the startup folder, and the first time i rebooted my computer it was fine. the second time, there was incredible lag but xpadder was still using 0, or every once in awhile 2 in my task manager.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

If there is a lot of lag then something must be using the CPU. If Xpadder isn't then which process is using loads of CPU?

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

when there is nothing going on and my computer is idle, and i move the cursor with my controller, the movement skips, it isnt smooth. remember it is smooth 100% of the time when i open xpadder myself and not thru startup folder or thru xpadder options. when i open firefox say, and as its opening move my cursor with the controller, the cursor doesnt want to move at all its so slow, til firefox opens, and then its back to the non smooth skip every second or so when it stops/starts again. i hope that explains it better. it is not an issue of something regarding cpu usage. any ideas?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

After starting Xpadder with windows try maximising the window and then disconnecting your controller. The controller image will animate a disconnection by dropping down. Compare this animation speed to a disconnection after starting Xpadder normally. Maybe all Xpadder functions are running slower?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

as i remember reading about vista they mentioned that the vista gdi graphics stack had bottleneck performance
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009 ... mance.aspx

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

i'm not sure what that means. are you saying i can never have xpadder to load on startup with vista?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

you can but it will be just slow

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

strange that if it opens during boot its not usable but if i open it myself after booting its perfect. doesnt make sense to me.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

from what info ive looked thru it could be that ms boxed(delay start) the app drivers for the controller api's or theres just to much stuff going on @ 1st login thereby delaying it more. or it could be slow AV software.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

its still sluggish if i open it during start up, reboot, wait 30 min, then try it. i guess i'll just have to live with opening it manually myself after i boot up. thanks for the help

eyeraiseyou3

[DISCUSSING] Cursor speed changing randomly

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

Sometimes while using my xbox360 controller with xpadder so i can use it as a mouse, the speed at which the cursor moves sometimes is much faster than usual. Or maybe its much slower than usual, the point is, it seems to have 2 different speeds. And i dont think it has to do with cpu usage or more programs open. I can do a reboot, and sometimes its slower and sometimes its faster right out of the gate.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: Cursor speed question..

Post by Jonathan »

Does this occur while moving the cursor round the desktop or in games?

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

Just around the desktop with nothing going on. Today it even went from slow to fast every 5 sec or so as i constantly moved it around.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I guess you know how to change the mouse emulation speed.
Can be sure that it won't be changed by changing the set?
I want to say, if you change the mouse emulation speed for let's say the right stick in set1, it won't also be changed in set2 (or for any other mouse assignment).

Also does the real mouse move unaffected by that?

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

i just have one set. i set the speed. and randomly when i hold the left or right stick to one side and watch the speed, its 2 different speeds. 1 i call fast and 1 i call slow, meaning there are 2 diff speeds at which the cursor moves. Any ideas as to why that cursor speed isnt consisently one speed?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

We should first rule out a problem with the stick. Since the stick is an analog input, we should make sure the stick is reporting consistant movement data to Windows. If you click on the controllers tab in the main Xpadder window it will open Xpadders controller properties. It displays graphs of the raw controller data as recognized by Windows.

When you move the stick back and forth does the data show consistant readings at the maximums.

Also make sure the stick settings mode is Standard(do not select 8-way, Xpadder knows what to do :) ) and check that the diagonal size is near the center.

Open stick settings by clicking the assignment group icon and choosing "Settings..."

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

Yeah i dont see any problems with any of that. I have a touchpad on my laptop for a mouse, and i noticed that when i moved my finger on the touchpad, it also was showing the mouse move at 2 different speeds, so i'm not too sure it's an xpadder problem, or maybe the 2 are related. Any ideas as to why a mouse would not want to maintain a consistent speed, with our without xpadder? Maybe thats what we should be thinking about?

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

I figured out something, when i click on a buddy on AIM to chat, the box to type a message to him pops up, when that box is available, my cursor wants to be twice as fast in movement. As soon as i close the chat box, it goes back to normal speed. Any idea why?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

I suggest checking out the AIM forum seeing as it is a bug with their software :D

I have moved this topic to the help forum as I'm sure it will help others in the future with the same difficulty

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

Ok so it wasn't just aim, also when i'm playing any video, say watching a youtube video. My cursor speed doubles during play of any video. Any idea what those have in common that is affecting cursor speed? Any help would be appreciated.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

Also when i open itunes the cursor speed increases drastically. Any ideas what could cause it? It's only when i have xpadder open and running. Mouse pointer speed remains consistent when xpadder is not running.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

Actually may not be related to xpadder, hard to tell since with controller you can just hold the stick and see obvious change in speed. I guess my question is any idea in general related or not to xpadder would cause a cursor to have 2 diff speeds depending on what is going on with the computer and what applications are running?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Does any of the programs have native controller support? Does the cursor speed change when using the physical mouse? Probibly hard to tell.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

I don't know what you mean by native support. And its hard to tell if its happening with mouse, my guess is no i dont think so, only with xpadder.

It happens anytime i have a video showing, doesnt even have to playing. Any website that has a video embedded/listed on the page. www.youtube.com just bringing that site up, or megavideo.com etc.

Anytime i'm able to click play on a video, whether i do or not, my pointer acts as though it can see that a video could possibly be played, and doubles in speed, randomly for a second alternating from normal to too fast over and over.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

So Xpadder just has to be running for the problem to happen? Even if no controller is connected and you are moving the actual mouse? I was assuming you meant emulating the mouse movement via Xpadder.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

Its hard to tell mouse pointer movement speed with a mouse, all i can do is try to move it consistently and check distance traveled, but with the stick on the controller, you can hold it to the left and watch the cursor move, changing speeds, from very fast to normal when i have any time of media going on it looks like, itunes, aim chat, any youtube video and it doesnt even have to be playing, just there ready to be clicked to play etc.

For some reason my mouse wants to be speedy gonzalez when thats the case, and i'm pretty sure but not fully positive its only when xpadder is running, and the mouse is being moved by the controller.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

It's definitely xpadder related, as i just downloaded joytokey and the mouse pointer does not speed up when i open itunes/watch youtube etc.

Any idea why xpadder is causing my mouse pointer to speed up during certain things?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

eyeraiseyou3 wrote:I have a touchpad on my laptop for a mouse, and i noticed that when i moved my finger on the touchpad, it also was showing the mouse move at 2 different speeds
Is this with Xpadder closed?

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

Yes it was with xpadder closed. But like i said, its pretty hard to tell. Now that i've been able to get joytokey to work, now i was able to just move the pointer with the analog stick back and forth and it was quite obvious that with xpadder only open, the speed fluctuated between 2 diff speeds, and with joytokey open only, it remained 1 speed no matter what.

And its not an issue of acceleration as in mouse acceleration. It just decides its going to be much much faster without the settings ever changing.

Still no idea as to why it happens with your product and not joytokey? I've googled and searched the internet now for about 15 hours probably and found nothing.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

This is a difficult one. Some ideas (test using a Youtube video - this way I can test the scenario too without needing additional software)

- Is there any difference in speed if the video is playing?
- What if Xpadder is minimized?
- Try setting the mouse to the DPad instead (in case it is a stick issue)

I do have another idea but it will involve modifying Xpadder for you to test. Let me know how those first tests go first.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

Same speed if i have youtube open and/or actually playing a video. Same speed if i minimize or not xpadder. Same issue when using dpad as mouse. All 3 i mean same as in, all of a sudden the pointer moves much much faster til i close out youtube/itunes/aim chat box etc then it goes back to normal speed.

I appreciate all the thinking, its very frustrating. What is the other suggestion?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

I won't go into a technical description of the attached mod just yet but basically it's a version of Xpadder that has real-time priority in Windows.
I'm wondering whether when playing a video Windows is dropping Xpadder's priority. This causes Xpadder to run slightly slower than usual which could account for slower mouse speed.

Copy this mod over your current Xpadder.exe (or simply rename the old one) and try the youtube test again with Xpadder minimized.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

I tried what you said, it does the exact same thing. Keep in mind in your post you said "this causes xpadder to run slightly slower..." Remember it is the opposite, when i open itunes, youtube etc the mouse pointer moves much faster.

Any other thoughts?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: [DISCUSSING] Cursor speed changing randomly

Post by Jonathan »

Does the YouTube problem only occur when Xpadder is emulating the mouse pointer directly over the video? Flash and other elements can detect when a mouse pointer is over them and this may be a clue.

If you move the cursor to the far left of the screen, maximise your browser and use Xpadder to move the cursor towards the right of the screen making sure that the cursor goes over the video. Does the mouse speed up occur only over the video?
Now close Xpadder and do the same test using your mouse by moving your hand as steadily as possible. Is there a speed change there?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: [DISCUSSING] Start Up with Windows mouse speed issue

Post by Jonathan »

Is this the same problem as the YouTube/AIM issue?
There is some crossover between the 2 you see.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

It doesnt care if its over the video or over itunes or not. I can open itunes, minimize it, and the cursor still continues to be super speed. Same with videos etc. I have aol instant messenger (aim) if you want to chat with me and try to solve it instead of using this forum and waiting for a reply that would be great.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

Not the same issue at all. When i have it startup during reboot in a variety of ways, they all have the same problem. The mouse moves and pauses about every 3 sec for a quick second. And if i open firefox, or anything, while its opening, the pointer will not move at all, or will move super super laggy slow while the application is loading. I dont think these have to do with each other but you would know more than me.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

you could try looking @ ms config & comparing startup items listed in it with this list to see if there are things that arent required @ startup
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

I'm curious about your computer's specs. What is your Operating System? Are you using the latest Service Pack for your OS (assuming XP, Vista, or Win7)? What is the speed (and type) of your CPU? How much RAM are you using?

If you don't know how to find out those details, you can go to the Start Menu, then hover over "My Computer" and right-click it, and then click "Properties". This will pop up your stats for you. Post that information. I doubt that will get us to the root of the issue, but it might tell us more than these tests are doing. (If that doesn't work for you, just press and hold the Windows key, and then press "Pause/Break"... this will pop up your computer's information in Vista, and Device Manager for XP).

Also, for the sake of knowing just what you're working with, if you have the "Device Manager" link on your "My Computer" page, tell us what is listed under the following catagories:

1) Display Adapters
2) Mice and other pointing devices
3) Anything that has either a "!" or other strange symbol by it.

I'd like to know what kind of hardware you have in your computer, and if there might be some kind of conflict going on.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

Vista home basic, ser pack 2, dell inspiron 1545 , intel celeron cpu 2.20GHz, 3gb ram, have a 2gb usb readyboost also, 32 bit.
Display adapter... Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Mice..Just the Dell Touchpad, i'm not using an external mouse
Nothing has a ! by it.

Let me know if you need more info.

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

Hmmm... so this is a laptop. Okay... that's one interesting bit of information there. Seems your specs are just fine, but I'm wondering if it's possible that Xpadder is sending a bit of erratic jibberish to your touchpad drivers, while it's emulating a mouse of it's own.

Do you have a wired or a wireless mouse you can try attaching to your laptop to see if using ~that~ mouse also causes the wonky speed up error you're seeing with Xpadder?

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

Sorry no i dont. I did uninstall and reinstall the newest alps touchpad drivers and that didnt help.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

So itunes only has to be running? This must be a CPU or timing issue. Xpadder uses the system's mouse settings so any underlying problem is made more noticable when using Xpadder.

I did some searching and found a few things we haven't though of:

http://www.computing.net/answers/window ... 69579.html
sounds like a memory issue to me. Mouse speed is determined by how quickly memory can be read. If something's running in the background and consuming memory, the mouse commands get to que

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-series- ... d-p/340898
It could be a software conflict; do you have any other mouse software installed on your system?

We have had reports of mouse issues in the past but they were always due to conflicts with other mouse software.

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

It's possibly linked to him being on a laptop, using a touchpad... might be a driver conflict (I've replied to his other thread regarding that). I don't know whether that would be part of the cause...

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

Hmmmm... I honestly don't know what could be causing it then... sorry I can't be of any help here.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

I read both of those links before actually. I dont have any other mouse software installed. I think it started happening in the last month only, maybe after a windows update, flash update, java, something media related update i dont know. I have checked into those as much as i know how to, installing the most up to date flash java adobe etc and still havent solved it. Any other suggestions?

Reboot
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Reboot »

eyeraiseyou3 wrote:I think it started happening in the last month only

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Did you already check DirectX for failures?

To do so, type dxdiag in the Menu Search Bar and select it.
Wait until the progress bar in the lower left edge is full (which means gone) and then click on the tab "Input".
Are there any problems reported under (should be) "Notes"?
Also the same questions under the tab DirectX files.

And another question: You said JoytoKey works. Did it install any virtual mouse and keyboard drivers?
If it did that, it would explain why JoytoKey works problem free and Xpadder not.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

maybe its because its home basic?

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

No problems found when doing what you suggested. I dont know what joytokey installed, all i know is that if i set the analog stick to mouse, and move it around i never have the speed up issue. I figured they were basically doing the same thing so it might help to know.

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

I honestly don't think that's the case... I'm using Windows 7 (Starter Edition) on an HP Mini Netbook, and Xpadder hasn't made my mouse cursor suddenly speed up rapidly... and Starter Edition is the most basic version you can get.

I really don't know what's causing the problem.

Also: I think this thread needs to be merged with the current discussion... Jonathan might be missing this thread while being focused on the other one...

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

all i was tinking is that maybe basic is missing a crutial system file maybe

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

You guys can put it all in 1 thread etc. I really appreciate all the troubleshooting. I spend a few hours randomly trying to figure it out, its more of a curiousity mission to me now.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

after looking @ your specs post again i thought of an idea. have you tried it without readyboost enabled?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

JoytoKey cannot simply install driver on it's own, you would have to answer the typical Windows driver dialog for each driver.
If you didn't see this dialog, it didn't install virtual drivers. That makes me assume, that it places it's (mouse)input the same way like Xpadder. So I would say the input way should be OK.
  • Edit: Try disabling ReadyBoost first, it promises more success.
I guess you already replaced the .exe file (newer version or the real time mod). Did already tried to replace the Xpadder.ini?
Rename your Xpadder.ini and leave it were it is and then (re)start Xpadder.
Now Xpadder will create a new .ini (Xpadder startup dialog).

This is not much work, so worth a try. And if it doesn't work, you can delete this new .ini and give the old one it's correct name to get your settings back.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

ReadyBoost is an interesting approach.
The performance plus is pretty low, so isn't really worth to use it. 1GB more RAM would bring much more performance (OK, not that easy with a notebook), and 3GB aren't really plenty for Vista or Seven.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

2 great ideas to try i think. Disabled readyboost, unplugged usb, rebooted, same problem existed. I renamed xpadder.ini and restarted xpadder and another xpadder.ini appeared with all the same settings. Checked to see if problem still existed and it did. So neither worked.

In general are you saying i shouldnt even use readyboost and a usb thumb drive anyway?

Any other things i can try?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

(Topics merged)

There are a number of ways to simulate moving the mouse. Xpadder uses the latest one as recommended by Microsoft. Joytokey may use an older method which bypasses your mouse speed issue because it isn't adhering to certain input rules?

Some more ideas:

- Is there a program (or is there an accessibility tool already in windows?) that moves the mouse pointer via the arrow keys? If this emulated cursor still has issues now that game controllers are not a factor we may learn something
- Uninstall the touchpad driver and disable the hardware for it via device manager. Plug in a USB mouse and see if the problem persists

A few years ago I had a problem with a mouse driver that when installed doubled the animation speed of animated cursors! Uninstalling the driver (the manufacturer's) and using the default Windows one fixed the issue. Reinstalling the faulty driver brought the problem back!

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

In my xpadder folder, i have...

Main which is of xpadder profile type
My Controller (xbox360 for windows) which is of xpaddercontroller file type
Xpadder which is application
and Xpadder which is of configuration settings

Is that correct?

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

ok i'll try your idea. I already looked for another program to use arrow keys as mouse, but all i could find was programs that did it with the numpad, which my laptop doesnt have.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

I also have dual monitors, dont know if that helps to know

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

i uninstalled the touchpad driver, rebooted, and it was still there and fully functional. Was never allowed to click disable as it was greyed out.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

There was an option to disable from the dell touchpad software, which i did, but the problem still existed.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

eyeraiseyou wrote:In general are you saying i shouldn't even use ready-boost and a usb thumb drive anyway?
Principally yes, I have read somewhere that it brings only more performance if you have less than 2GB of Ram.
eyeraiseyou wrote:In my xpadder folder, i have...

Main which is of xpadder profile type
My Controller (xbox360 for windows) which is of xpaddercontroller file type
Xpadder which is application
and Xpadder which is of configuration settings
Should be correct. But if there would be files that shouldn't be there, so Xpadder wouldn't use it anyways. And missing files would be recreated.
eyeraiseyou wrote: I already looked for another program to use arrow keys as mouse, but all i could find was programs that did it with the numpad, which my laptop doesnt have
Doesn't you keyboard have an "Fn" key and (most likely) blue numbers? So if you have the keyboard-mouse enabled it should be possible to move the mouse with this keys while holding "Fn".
But however, the keyboard-mouse doesn't move smooth at all (at least with XP).
There is a function that drastically increases the mouse speed for it (hold StrgCtrl), but the keyboard-mouse doesn't affect XPadder's mouse movement (in XP).
Last edited by Primal Fear on 20 Oct 2010, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

I"m not exactly sure what you want me to try next.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

ive tried many ways to get my keyboard to act as a mouse but have been unable to find a way

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

If you have this Fn key, you can hold "Num" until a window opens (5 seconds) and click there on setting to configure the mouse-keyboard. So you could try it with the with the keyboard mouse.
Alternatively you could use PPJoy to control a virtual contoller with the keyboard, and over it with Xpadder the mouse.

And how high have you the Mouse Emulation Speed configured? Too know if the mouse really is too fast in this cases of if the mouse normally is to slow.
...this question gives me another idea. How does it exactly act. I mean, would it help if you simply make a second Set with another mouse emulation speed and switch between them by pressing a gamepad button.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

i dont have a Num key on my keyboard, i do have Fn and all the F1 F2 etcs. That does seem like a good workaround to have a second set with a different emulation speed, but i guess i'm not really looking for a work around but a solution as to why this is happening. Lot of extra clicking and switching while web browsing would not be much fun.

I really appreciate the brainstorming and hopefully you can come up with another idea to test/troubleshoot. I have mouse emulation speed at 80 for left analog and 20 or so for right.

How would i make a button to switch to a second set anyway?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

You can assign a button to switch the Set by right clicking on it and then move the mouse cursor on "Set Selector" and then on the Set you want to switch to. Here you can select how this button should switch (after tapping one way, after tapping two way and while held).

The mouse emulation speed is in a normal area (not very fast).
You could try to disable the option "improve mouse acceleration" you find in the Windows Control Panel/Mouse Settings.

Also how about PPJoy, I mentioned in my post before?
working download link

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

Not sure what you want me to try with ppjoy i am confused. PPjoy never had an issue with changing mouse acceleration, but other than that i like xpadder much better.

i did the disabling of mouse acceleration and that doesnt help.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

The point of PPjoy is to replace your 360pad by a virtual controller, to rule out that the problem has something to do with your gamepad.

First you have to setup a new virtual. To do so open "Configure Josticks". Click on "Add" and make sure to select "Virtual joysticks" under "Parallel port".
Then you can close this window and open instead "PPJoyKey". Assign for Up, Down, Left and Right to any keyboard key. This window has to stay open.
Now start Xpadder and set up this new controller with this keyboard keys and you will be able to control the mouse with the keyboard via Xpadder.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

First you have to setup a new virtual. To do so open "Configure Josticks". Click on "Add" and make sure to select "Virtual joysticks" under "Parallel port......... am i doing that in xpadder or ppjoy?

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

i dont see configure joysticks, add, virtual joysticks, parallel port in joytokey or xpadder

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

nevermind, i think i found it, i'll post in aminute

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

that file said it had a virus/trojan

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

im at the .... now start xpadder part, see that theres a new tab vor ppjoy, and dont know what to do next?

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

ok figured it out...did what you said, was able to use my keyboard to move the mouse....the mouse pointer still has the problem, as itunes appears, now the pointer is moving much much faster

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

crazy thought how often to you defrag/disk clean up your pc?

from what i remember reading readyboost requires a fast drive to work properly. min. read/write acess speed requirements just dont cut it. with vista ready boost

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

i disk clean up everyday with ccleaner, privacy mantra, tried to defrag and it said i dont need to. i have stopped using readyboost and the problem is still there.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

i'd try defraggler since it works better than the stock vista 1 & its free
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/builds

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

1 year old computer, only use it for internet really, and everyday using ccleaner etc. you still think i need to defrag or that defraging would help my issue?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

well now that you have said what kind of tasks you do id say maybe you pc either got infected somehow or maybe some piece of hardware could be failing. also since its using an intel gma i'd try updating the drivers for that

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

ignore the virus post above, i have never had a virus. and i think all my drivers are updated, can you be more specific which ones i should update?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

well it was just a thought. from what dells site says your notebook has a Integrated Intel X4500HD Graphics Media Accelerator & my past experince with onboard intel vid. chips suggest that sometimes its a good idea to update them

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

yeah good ideas, my drivers are all updated i'm pretty sure, i went thru the important ones i think.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

well from what i see on the dell driver site they havent updated that gpu's video driver in about a year & a half(probably because of dells push to have 64bit near the vista to 7 transition period or its stable enough to leave alone)

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

yeah i did notice all the drivers were old but updated. i guess maybe this will never be solved and i'll have to live with random fluctuations of speed

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

you can try intel's site since it looks like they have drivers from aug. 2010 so it just maybe that dell is not linking to new drivers anymore for vista

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

as far as i know my drivers are good. if you know of a specific one i should retry let me know. i wouldnt know what to look for on the site.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

you can try these but from what i read it all depends on what you curretly have installed driver-wise & also it seems they arnt developing for celeron based vers. anymore so it may or may not work
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... 3&lang=eng exe ver.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... 5&lang=eng zip ver.

eyeraiseyou3

Post by eyeraiseyou3 »

I think i'll just have to switch between sets when the mouse pointer decides to triple its speed on certain webpages/itunes open etc. Thanks for all the troubleshooting, if you randomly think of why it happens post again, i'll randomly check back here. I'm more curious than anything now as to why it happens.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Having a random PC issue is really frustrating. It's always due to something but it can be very difficult to figure it out.
The final solution is probably to reinstall windows (offline) and before installing anything test the problem. Slowly install drivers and apps until the problem surfaces. This way you know exactly what the cause is.
As Xpadder may or not be the cause of this issue I will move this topic back to the Help section.
If someone else experiences the same problem then this is where they will look first.

Skarn

Post by Skarn »

Almost sounds like some sort of CPU/memory throttling. When the video opens the computer gets a higher cpu load request, and xpAdder gets the boost too. Try and disable any power settings on the laptop, set it to always be using full power regardless of workload. You may have these options in windows, or in laptop BIOS.

Another thought I have, is that I used to notice with XP that when I was scrolling a window, if I moved my mouse in little circles the window scrolled faster! It was like it knew I was impatient! LOL. Never did work out the reason behind this behaviour though too.

Skarn

Post by Skarn »

There are also other mouse options often in Windows - things like 'enhance pointer position' and you may also have some setting to 'smooth mouse' movement normally anyway - not sure of what option this could be.

Another thought is VSYNC, maybe your computer's mouse is being affected by the graphics driver constantly switching Vsync on and off. Check your graphics driver and see if it has a force VSync on or off option. I'd choose off initially.

Return to “Other questions”