Disconnect Noise every 6 seconds - Windows 7 64Bit

jonathongosling

Disconnect Noise every 6 seconds - Windows 7 64Bit

Post by jonathongosling »

Hello - I'm new - Have just downloaded Xpadder and am planning to use it to enable me to use a 360 controller for Windows Media Centre.
I have configured xpadder correctly (I think) and it seems to move the mouse as i expect however the windows disconnect noise / event occurs every 5/6 seconds or so and the windows UI is intermittently unresponsive as a result. This issue occurs even when the controller is not plugged in. I haven't found anything similar on here or through google...

My system specs are as follows, am i missing something obvious?
Thanks,
Jon

p.s. let me know if further info would help

Controller: Microsoft Wired XBOX 360 Controller (USB)

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer NVIDIA
System Model MCP7A
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 14/01/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 865 MB
Total Virtual Memory 3.50 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.15 GB
Page File Space 1.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Kloreep
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Disconnect Noise every 6 seconds - Windows 7 64Bit

Post by Kloreep »

This happens only when Xpadder is running, or whenever you have/have had the controller plugged in?

jonathongosling

when xpadder is running with or without a controller plugged in.
what extra info should i share? i have no hunches...

jonathongosling

...more information, i've also tried xpadder (v10.11.17) on another machine with no problems - so there's something specific with my first machine...
Its being used as a HTPC so it has different hardware/driver set up. When the problem occurs, the device in device manager "HID-Compliant Device" switches between showing a warning triangle (no drivers are installed) and "This device is working properly" - device manager then rescans every 6 seconds or so...

conflicting device driver?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

1) Does this only happen with Xpadder running?
2) Do you need to first connect a controller or does running Xpadder with nothing attached instantly start this problem?

jonathongosling

1) Yes, only with xpadder running (that i know about)
2) launching xpadder with nothing attached instantly causes this problem (regardless of whether or not a contoller is attached)
Just let me know what more info you need,
Thanks!

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

When you start Xpadder it checks for a controller. This seems to be causing problems with the device driver. This starts an endless loop as the configuration of Windows changes, Xpadder thinks a new controller has been connected, performs a scan, this triggers a device refresh and so on!
I don't think Xpadder is causing the problem but is actually highlighting a faulty driver installation. By design Xpadder does not change anything in the system - it doesn't install anything. But it does sometimes trigger events which should be no problem.
Try these steps:
1) Uninstall your controller driver completely
2) Remove all USB devices except for keyboard and mouse
3) Restart Windows
4) Run Xpadder to see if the problem is fixed

seanwalter

Post by seanwalter »

I also have this problem on my Windows 7 64-bit HTPC. I just installed xpadder hoping to use it to streamline using Logitech F710 gamepads with some older games, as well as with the windows GUI. I do think it has something to do with how xpadder is interacting with the driver -- when running old games (e.g., Battlefront II) under xpadder the game movement pauses about every 6 seconds, in the same way that the mouse pauses under xpadder in the normal windows GUI. However, if I run Battlefront II with xpadder shut down, the game recognizes the native Xinput driver and game play is very smooth.

Prior to seeing this thread, I uninstalled all USB devices in my system including the mouse and keyboard (did it over VNC), restarted Windows, and the problem persists.

I'd really like for this to get resolved. Xpadder seems like a great solution for playing a variety of games with Xbox-like controllers. Thanks!

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Please try the steps I listed above your post.
We need to determine if Xpadder is doing this with no USB devices attached.

seanwalter

Re: [DISCUSSING] Disconnect Noise every 6 seconds - Windows 7 64Bit

Post by seanwalter »

Thanks, Jonathan. I did do the steps above my post, however the minute Windows starts it begins installing various USB devices that are integrated into the HTPC case hardware, so unfortunately I can't do a "pure" test with no USB devices connected. In any case, the issue involves a USB HID device so I am sure the problem would not occur if all USB devices are removed.

I think the problem is that the HTPC remote control software (Soundgraph iMON Manager) conflicts with Xpadder, as they both try to take HID input, translate it, and feed it to applications. I disabled the problem device in Device Manager, my iMON Manager software showed that it was "disconnected" and Xpadder worked without hiccups. The iMON Manager software is focused on a narrow set of non-gaming devices. Is there a setting, or can there be a setting, to prevent Xpadder from scanning automatically for new devices? I.e., only add devices manually? I notice that the Logitech Gaming Software (nowhere near as good as Xpadder, and based on DirectInput) checks for connected devices when it starts, and permits manual scans but not automatic scans? Thanks!

Update: I just searched on iMON in the forums knowing this is where the conflict lies, and there's a thread on the topic, but it hasn't been touched since October 8. Would be great to see this resolved somehow. Note this may not apply to the OP:

http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php ... imon#p8727

To Primal Fear's post below, the device does not show up in Xpadder so I can't hide/disable it.
Last edited by seanwalter on 12 Jan 2011, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

If Xpadder detects this remote control device as a controller, you could try to hide it in the Xpadder Settings under "Controller" and then to to restart Xpadder.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

seanwalter wrote:Update: I just searched on iMON in the forums knowing this is where the conflict lies, and there's a thread on the topic, but it hasn't been touched since October 8. Would be great to see this resolved somehow. Note this may not apply to the OP:

http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php ... imon#p8727
Now that we know that your issue is with iMON let's continue the discussion in the original iMON topic. It will be nice to finally figure out what the problem is.

jonathon, do you also use the iMON?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: [FIXING] Disconnect Noise every 6 seconds - Windows 7 64Bit

Post by Jonathan »

The other iMON topic confirms that the problem is due to automatic hardware scanning - I will add scanning options to the next version to fix this.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: [FIXING] Disconnect Noise every 6 seconds - Windows 7 64Bit

Post by Jonathan »

The latest development version contains an option to toggle between automatic and manual scanning. This fixes the problem :D

Return to “Other questions”