Xbox 360 Guide Button w. Xpadder

Soul

Xbox 360 Guide Button w. Xpadder

Post by Soul »

Hi there, I was just wondering why the Xbox 360 Guide button doesn't register as a mappable button with xpadder. Is there anyway I can get the guide button to work with Xpadder? Thanks.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Xbox 360 Guide Button w. Xpadder

Post by SGTCableDog »

The driver traps the Guide button to pop up the xbox utility that tells you battery status so it's not available to be mapped. It's hard coded by the driver.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

i belive even xbcd(alternate driver) & ipac(controller reprog. hardware) cant even change that

subworx

Post by subworx »

[quote="SGTCableDog"]The driver traps the Guide button to pop up the xbox utility that tells you battery status so it's not available to be mapped. It's hard coded by the driver.[/quote]

True, kinda.
It's not the driver that traps the button, but an application that is run on startup: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories\XBoxStat.exe
If you kill this running task it will no longer pop up the status bar. Maybe then the Guide button can be used for something else?

BTW if you want to get rid of that Status bar forever, navigate RegEdit to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and remove the "XboxStat" line.

Kind regards,
Sub

SubWorx

Post by SubWorx »

SGTCableDog wrote:The driver traps the Guide button to pop up the xbox utility that tells you battery status so it's not available to be mapped. It's hard coded by the driver.
In theory it might work.
My guess is that not the driver does the trapping, but instead an external tool.
Open the Task Manager, go to Processes and look for "XBoxStat.exe". Terminate this task, your pad will work perfectly like before, but the Guide button does not pop up that status thing any more.
Now what I don't know is how the Tool (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories\XBoxStat.exe) and driver work together... if the driver actually catches the button as quoted, or if the XBoxStat.exe catches it and displays the stats - the latter would be perfect as we could then use the Guide button to do stuff as well.

BTW if you want to remove it permanently: open RegEdit, navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and remove the line containing XBoxStat.

Greets,
Sub

Mobeeuz
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Mobeeuz »

Xbcd does indeed have some kind of detection for the guide button, the homepage states that you can switch profiles with "the big X button".

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Xpadder relies on the driver to report that the guide button is pressed. The default XInput and DirectInput drivers do not provide this feedback. If XBCD allows the guide button to appear as a regular button then Xpadder will be able to use it.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

it might work for wired 360 controllers but i'd imagine the wireless reciver reqires XBoxStat.exe to be runing to get battery data so something of the sort

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

With the wired version there is not such an process or installation folder. So this tool is just a wireless thing.

I wounder about how the guide button should be detected with the standard driver. There is even the fix number of buttons, there is no way to change it. The only way is a modified driver, with the standard driver there can be no way.

However, it's pity about this button, especially on the wired version where it has absolutely no function. But technically is works. I know that, because I can use it out of the box with Ubuntu.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

FARSTRIDER wrote:it might work for wired 360 controllers but i'd imagine the wireless reciver reqires XBoxStat.exe to be runing to get battery data so something of the sort
The good news is that XInput provides battery info - which is why Xpadder can display the battery level. Now all MS need to do is upgrade XInput to provide the Guide Button and chaptpad data and we will be happy :D

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

well according to wiki it hasnt been updated much in the years vista - 7 were released

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Microsoft will not change this. If they would want to do that, they had already did it at the first version.

Return to “Other questions”