DJ Hero2 turntable?

m_aguilar1

DJ Hero2 turntable?

Post by m_aguilar1 »

I have Virtual DJ, an I'm trying to figure out how to setup a XBox 360 DJ Hero2 turntable to work with the program. I've figured out how to assign buttons, crossfader, but can't seem to figure out how to simulate the "click and hold a button while you move up and down to scratch" effect that you'd get with a mouse. Xpadder recognizes the turntable under the controllers properties, but when I spin it, I don't get any type of movement from the green bars? The numbers change, just no movement from the bars. When I go under Controller Settings to setup controller, the turntable is not detected as anything? Yet, properties put "Direct Input" as Axis Y, and "X Input" as LThumbY.

I'd really like to be able to click and hold a button while I drag turntable up and down to get a scratch, then I release button. I barely downloaded Xpadder this weekend, so theres alot I still need to learn. I'm hoping some how it'd be possible.

Maybe add movement to button instead(Don't even know if this is even possible)?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: DJ Hero2 turntable?

Post by Jonathan »

This is a complicated controller but I think we should be able to work something out.
m_aguilar1 wrote: Xpadder recognizes the turntable under the controllers properties, but when I spin it, I don't get any type of movement from the green bars? The numbers change, just no movement from the bars

Which numbers change? Is it the button or POV?
m_aguilar1 wrote: When I go under Controller Settings to setup controller, the turntable is not detected as anything? Yet, properties put "Direct Input" as Axis Y, and "X Input" as LThumbY.
Xpadder will only detect something if the axes values change to a certain degree.

Can you list each movable part of your controller, which DirectInput and XInput bar/value changes and how it changes (which values does the number fluctuate between?)

m_aguilar1

Post by m_aguilar1 »

I actually got it to work last night. Since I barely downloaded the program, I didn't know/think about having to calibrate the controller. For someone barely learning how to use this program, it's probably recommended to calibrate the controller. For those who don't know, click on "Control Panel" button thats right at the buttom left corner of the Controller properties screen. That's where my controller had the option to calibrate it. After going throught the steps, the turntable platter will now move the "Axis Y' green bar. I'm able to hold the platter with a trigger button, and move it up and down- as to scratch. When I get back from work today, I'll list all the movements I have, and which ones work for what. This will make it easy for anyone else trying this out. So far I have only two glitches(maybe) First, is that when I click one of the three buttons on the platter- my crossfader goes to the right? I Might of set it up wrong or something before saving settings. The other two buttons on the platter work fine, and won't make crossfader move? I'm gonna write down everything and redo it to see if that fixes that one. Second, I have to have Xpadder open, and with the "pink" setup screen open as well. Thats the only way I'm able to scratch right now. Like I said, when I get home- I'll right down what I've done, what buttons are assigned. Maybe you guys can chime in, maybe I'm missing something that'll make the controller work even better(since the program has so many options).

m_aguilar1

Post by m_aguilar1 »

Direct Inputs:
Axis X: N/A
Axis Y: Turntable
Axis Z: Will move when buttons are clicked
Axis Rx: Sound effects knob. Not yet configured to do anything for me right now.
Axis Ry: Crossfader
Axis RZ: N/A
Slider 1: N/A
Slider 2: N/A
POV: Dpad

X Input:
LThumbY: Turntable
RThumbX: Sound effects knob
RThumbY: Crossfader
-The rest don't have any numbers posting.

Here some info for anyone wanting to try this out. It's pretty much a novelty thing, but none the less it's still fun. In my situation, My DJ Hero turntable is a wireless Xbox 360 controller. My laptop is Windows 7, and I'm using Virtual DJ. Everyones setup will be different ,and might have other procedures needed to get you going- but here a baseline for a beginning. Next, If your turntable is a wireless Xbox 360 turntable, you'll need the Microsoft Xbox wireless reciever to connect to your PC via USB. Pretty much sync's the controller to your computer. Search Amazon or Ebay for "Xbox wireless controller reciever"- you'll find it for about $30 or less. Yours might be a of a different game system, or wired- so remember that this above part might be different for you. An yes, I know most of you knew this already(don't flame me) I just wanna let the ones who are like me, starting from scratch- have a better understanding on whats needed. Spend sometime on the forum and read throught the tutorials. I'm still going throught them trying to learn all I can. If the turntable is USB wired, you just might need the lastest controller driver installed on your PC(if needed?). By this time you should have Xpadder bought and downloaded. Once you install Xpadder, the right drivers and your PC has recognized your turntable- move onto setting up Xpadder. This is what I've done after hours of messing with this program. Make sure turntable is on and linked/synced via USB or wireless reciever. Open Xpadder now, click on the greyish box right over the yellow drop bar that says something like "Click for new to create layout". That greyish box will have your controller properties, click on it. It'll bring up your controllers info and info on Axis's. Click on the Control Panel button, then click on Properties. This is pretty much sending you in the direction to calibrate you controller so that the turntable platter will be recognized. I've had to do this over and over, even after setting up the my controller. I think I still need to do it again, since my crossfader slides to the right when clicking the green platter button? Just be patient. Once you calibrated your controller, you'll notice that the Direct Input and X Input green bars will move around once you start messing with the controller. Now go ahead and click "New" to create a new layout. The following settings are what I have set, and might change per setup. This is my setup:

1)No image set. It's up to you if you wanna spend time finding and setting up one. I didn't bother.
2)Sticks: Both enabled. First one is set for the turntable platter has the UP and Down set on Axis Y. Left to Right set to none. Second stick is set as the crossfader, which the 'Left to Right' set to Inverted Axis RY. Up and Down is set to none.
3)Enable Dpad
4)Buttons: your choice of how many you want/need setup. Like my previous post, setting the 'green' button on my turntable platter to 'Left 1' mouse button click results in my crossfader moving to the right? You need one of the three platter buttons set to to one of the 'mouse button click' buttons to hold the platter so you can scratch.
5)Originally had Triggers enabled, but re-did it and did not need them to have it work with VDJ?

Every setup might be different- but this how I have them. After you have it setup, click ok. You'll get the screen with all the buttons layed out. Ready for you to click and input your keyboard shortcut keys. This is how I have my rig setup to be used with Virtual DJ. Your able to use keyboard shortcut keys in VDJ too, so thats how I'm able to set the crossfader and buttons. I'm pretty sure everyone program is different in one way or another, but this will atleast give you an idea of what you need to do:

-Dpad set as Arrows
-Turntable keys set as Arrows, click on the left and right button and set them as none.
-Euphoria button set as F1 button or Sample 1. You can pretty much set it up to do whatever shortcut key you want
-Back button set to "Tab" to switch from deck to deck or whatever
-Start button set to "P" to Play/Pause or whatever
-Like I said, I have my green platter button left alone for now. Red and Blue buttons are set to "Left Click 1" mouse button so I can click and hold record. Move turntable to scratch. -Crossfader set as WSAD, Left button set as "A" and Right to "D" Those are Virtual DJ's short keys to send the crossfader when on "A" to the left and to the right when on "D". Just make sure your have the "momentarily" option clicked under VDJ's config shortcut settings. That's sends the crossfader back to the middle when you put the crossfader back to the center.

Make sure once you get it going, and everything works, SAVE it. I learned the hard way. Like I said, my second glitch is that I have to have the "Controller Settings" or pink screen open for the scratch and everything to work fine. Maybe this is normal. Not a big problem, I just hide the screens behind VDJ once opened. Hope this very long post will help someone thinking about trying this out. Like stated earlier, everyones setup might be different, so be patient. Once you get it going, it's well worth it-

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

That's a very useful post - I'm sure others will find it useful when they search for it.

The problem you have is a bug with the XInput system. Disable XInput in the main Settings window and check your controller layout axis are working still. The settings will now be retained even when the controller setting window is closed.

Return to “Other questions”