Left 4 Dead - Reduce strafe over-stepping on left stick?

Eightysevens

Left 4 Dead - Reduce strafe over-stepping on left stick?

Post by Eightysevens »

I found the controls on L4D a bit heavy; is there a way to reduce the character over-step when strafing left and right? The character continually oversteps so it's very time-consuming lining up with doors and windows for shooting, also when picking up objects.
Also have reduced the right/cam stick dead zone to min of 1%, but is there a way to prevent speed-up with increased leverage?
Thanks.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Left 4 Dead - Reduce strafe over-stepping on left stick?

Post by Primal Fear »

The DeadZone is a centered area that, where no direction will be triggered if the stick is in it. If you reduce to 1%, the stick will will stay in a direction if you release it as the analog stick do not center perfectly. Change the DeadZone configuration back to 25% and all should work fine.

Eightysevens

Post by Eightysevens »

Thanks for your reply, but the right stick controls work better since I changed it to 1%, as originally the 1st 25% of the stick movement would move the camera very slowly before speeding up rapidly over that point, now it moves more evenly paced though could be better.
The adjustment I need is to prevent the character moving after I've let go of the left stick.
Thanks.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Eightysevens wrote:...but the right stick controls work better since I changed it to 1%, as originally the 1st 25% of the stick movement would move the camera very slowly before speeding up rapidly over that point, now it moves more evenly paced though could be better.
There is absolutely no sense in what you think. The point is, without DeadZone the mouse will still move slowly even if you doesn't even touch the stick and that makes precise aiming (although rarely necessary in L4D) almost impossible.
I suppose the problem is that you have adjusted the mouse emulation speed very high. Do you see this curve over the sliders for the emulation speed, it shows how fast the mouse will move depending on how far you push the stick. It becomes worse the higher you adjust the speed, everything over 100 makes it become total garbage. The solution for that is to use the emulation speed setting only to adjust this curve to your wished and then to use the mouse sensitivity settings of the game to change the speed.

As for the left stick, if you have assigned simply WASD to left stick (no Release Zones, no Pauses) there should be no delay for releasing the assigned key. But there is the problem is that the stick is still active in one direction after you have released it, as you set the DeadZone to 1%, so the direction key is still pressed.
As you can adjust the DeadZone of both sticks individually by clicking on the tool symbol near the stick and then on "Settings...", there is anyways no reason for you to use 1% for the left stick.

Eightysevens

Post by Eightysevens »

Hi PF,
Thanks for your reply. I admit being a little confused over the deadzone function and have reset it as you advised, but the camera stick is still flies all over, how can I get it to stop increasing in speed as I move it?
If it helps I'm used to playing Elderscrolls series, GTA's, Bioshock and Fallout 3 without any problem.
Thank you for your patience,
87s

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

A straight mouse speed would bring the sense on an analog stick ad absurdum.
I don't know which part of L4D you want to play, but I have tested the mouse emulation with L4D2 and I think it is a good setting to leave the mouse emulation speed in Xpadder on 32 and to change the mouse sensitivity of the game to the maximum.

As for the left stick, I would suggest to change ever assignment under "Advanced" (Button on the lower left of the assignment window) to this.
(Of course with respective direction key for each direction)
So you can walk by pushing the stick only slightly, what makes the movement more precisely.

Return to “Other questions”