Playstation Dualshock 2 versus Dualshock 3

akiwoodoh

Playstation Dualshock 2 versus Dualshock 3

Post by akiwoodoh »

My preferred controller right now is the Dualshock 2. One of it's downsides however is that you can use the D-Pad OR the analog thumbsticks, but not both at the same time. Essentially it means I'm missing out on 4 extra button slots.

My question is if the Dualshock 3 fixes that problem and allows the D-Pad and the analog sticks to be bound to separate functions and used simultaneously.

Thanks in advance!
P.S. xpadder rocks! If anyone reading this is on the fence about whether to purchase this program or not, don't be. ;) I give it my full recommendation. I'm always on the lookout for new games to use my controller in, especially ones not designed for gamepads. :)

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Playstation Dualshock 2 versus Dualshock 3

Post by Oke_Doke »

I loaned out my adapter recently so I can't confirm this. I've never noticed this issue when using Dualshock2 controllers. I've been able to use the entire controller on pc games with or without Xpadder.

So the Dpads do not respond when using the analog sticks or are you unable to use the Dpad at all when analog is on? I'm wondering if this is a driver problem. Which adapter are you using?

akiwoodoh

Post by akiwoodoh »

Oke_Doke wrote:I loaned out my adapter recently so I can't confirm this. I've never noticed this issue when using Dualshock2 controllers. I've been able to use the entire controller on pc games with or without Xpadder.

So the Dpads do not respond when using the analog sticks or are you unable to use the Dpad at all when analog is on? I'm wondering if this is a driver problem. Which adapter are you using?
I currently use a simple Radioshack PS2->USB adapter (requires no drivers etc). In the past I had a crappy "universal" adapter that took NES, PS2, among others - That adapter would not allow the analog to turn off at all. I stopped using the "universal" one because of that.

Using either adapter, the left d-pad (the arrows) does not function at all if the analog is enabled. The right 4 buttons continue to work as normal (square, x, triangle etc).

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Oke_Doke »

A properly functioning adapter should allow you to use every input on the gamepad. I believe my particular brand was a My-link Duel (or at least an identical copy of it.). It works well enough just plug and play but it does come with a disk of drivers and support information.

After a bit of searching on this topic there doesn't seem to be any guarantee that everything will work flawlessly. Even the my-link adapters are a problem for some but not all users. But that could be said of any gadget.

As for the Ps3 there seem to be a few of options for connecting it. You can use it wireless if you have a bluetooth you don't mind dedicating to it. I found motioninjoy to be usefull, but the software seems just a little sketchy to me.
It seems actively developed so hopefully it will improve. There are other options but i'll leave that for others to chime in on.
' it’s still ‘technology’, and ‘technology’, as the computer scientist Bran Ferren memorably defined it, is ‘stuff that doesn’t work yet.’ -- Douglas Adams

akiwoodoh

Post by akiwoodoh »

You were right - it was the driver.

I tried using the Motioninjoy driver - when set to PS2 or PS3 it worked exactly like my original PS2 controller (DPad and analog were unwantedly linked). But when using the same controller in xbox emulation mode, it unlinked them.

However, just like you I found the Motioninjoy software to be way too sketchy. I didn't even uninstall it, I rolled back using system restore to make sure it wasn't going to leave any unwanted malware behind.

I bought and returned 3 different PS and xbox controllers over the past few days - I'm sure that store loves me... but I think I found a controller I will be happy with and doesn't require any third-party drivers to work.

Thanks for the help. :)

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

The Motioninjoy driver is signed by Microsoft. I suppose (or better hope) that Microsoft doesn't only see only DRM possibilities and the money they can make with this driver signing. :shifty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_ ... equirement

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

@ akiwoodoh most of those really genaric adapters dont have drivers past xp rtm i remember when i moved to vista the driver for my gc controller adapter(rumble enabled) wasnt stable enough to run so i had to settle for a WU/MU version(rumble not enabled)

@Primal Fear i read a few years back ms added starcom as a root CA provider so maybe that how it got signed.

Return to “Other questions”