Using all 5 axes of my joystick how?

f-hagemann

Using all 5 axes of my joystick how?

Post by f-hagemann »

First: Thank you, Jonathan! I bought Xpadder for only one reason; to assign one axis of my 5-axes-joystick to keyboard buttons. I could not put this 5th axis to any use in Freespace 2 Open, but it was a waste not to use it. And now I can, so much better! :rightthumbup:

Still I'd like to know if I can assign more than two axes of the joystick, for future use, when I might need to.

The joystick itself - it's a Thrustmaster T-Flight Gotas X - is recognized just fine, with all five axes. When I click on the tab-icon I can see that the input from all five axes and all buttons is recognized by Xpadder. But then in the setup, unter "sticks", there are only two I can activate.

Did I miss something? :?: Thanks in advance.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Using all 5 axes of my joystick how?

Post by Primal Fear »

You can use 2 times two axes as sticks and up to two for the triggers, which makes 6 axes.

Where is actually the fifth axis of this joystick. I see only four, two for the stick, one for the rudder control and one for the throttle.

f-hagemann

Post by f-hagemann »

Primal Fear wrote:You can use 2 times two axes as sticks and up to two for the triggers, which makes 6 axes.

Where is actually the fifth axis of this joystick. I see only four, two for the stick, one for the rudder control and one for the throttle.
Well...x, y and z on the actual stick. Then the throttle, forward and backward. And then the slider / trigger at the front of the throttle-handle, which is analog, so it counts as axis. ;) That was the problem all along, since the game (Freespace 2 Open) didn't let me set this axis up for buttons.

Now to the first part of your post: "2 times two axes"...how exactly would I do that? :?:

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

You activate the first stick in the controller settings and move the stick itself left and up, so axis X and Y are stick1. Then you activate stick2, twist the stick left and then you press Escape, so the rudder control is stick2 left/right.
That's how I did for my joystick. I usually configure the DeadZone for the rudder control to 40% to not trigger their assignments instantly.

Then go to "Triggers" and configure the throttle and the slider for them.

f-hagemann

Post by f-hagemann »

Primal Fear wrote:You activate the first stick in the controller settings and move the stick itself left and up, so axis X and Y are stick1. Then you activate stick2, twist the stick left and then you press Escape, so the rudder control is stick2 left/right.
You're right, that works. And when I press the throttle forward instead of pressing Esc I can actually set up 4 axes! x, y on stick 1, then z left + right and throttle forward + back on stick 2. :) And for the 5th axis I use the trigger. Cool! 8) And thanks! :leftthumbup:

(Part of my confusion before was that in my mind I thought x-y to be one axis...just because it's normal that you can move the stick in all 4 directions. But those are 2, obviously. ^^)

Return to “Other questions”