Toggle Default

stonemenace

Toggle Default

Post by stonemenace »

How do I make a toggle button to be on by default and turn off when i press it (then back on when I press again)?

Right now it always defaults to the "off" state. I want it to default to "on".

Thank you,
Dave

Reboot
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Toggle Default

Post by Reboot »

What do you mean by “Toggle Button” ?

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

The option to toggle whatever you assign to a button rather than holding it to keep it pressed. You enable toggle with the checkbox next to the icon that looks like a weird button from the side (or like a trigger maybe) or by right-clicking any button and selecting the item named "Toggle".

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

Let me just say what I'm trying to do, you'll know better than I do. I want the following to happen:

When I move the thumbstick (to make it simple, let's say I move it to the right):

1. Left Mouse Button = Unpressed
2. Right MouseButton = Pressed
3. E = Pressed

When I release the thumbstick
1. Left Mouse Button = Pressed
2. Right MouseButton = Unpressed
3. E = Unpressed

I bought this app expecting to be able to do camera controls in The Old Republic (same controls as WoW). I need the left mouse button to be held down when I am not moving and I need the right mouse button to be down when I am moving, but they cannot both be down at the same time. So I need the lmb to be down by default and then unpressed when i move the thumbstick and pressed when I release it; and I need the rmb and appropriate direction key to be down when I move the thumbstick and up when I release it.

I think this thread is talking about what I'm trying to do but I don't understand: http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php ... two#p12012

I appreciate the assistance. :)

Reboot
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Reboot »

I was trying to find out if it was a genuine “Toggle Button” or a “Momentary Button using Toggle software".
Last edited by Reboot on 23 Mar 2012, 18:50, edited 2 times in total.

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

Maybe I'm just tired. I assign a key to a button on the controller -- let's say I want it to press the 'X' key when I hit the X button on the controller. Now when I press down on the X button on the controller, Xpadder presses down on the 'X' key for me -- and when I release the X button on the controller, Xpadder releases the 'X' key for me.

If I enable the "Toggle" option (it's right there in Xpadder), I will see a different behavior. Now when I press down and release the X button on the controller, Xpadder presses down on the 'X' key for me -- and KEEPS pressing. Then when I press and release the X button on the controller again, Xpadder releases the 'X' key for me. That is "Toggling" the 'X' key.

That's what I mean by a "toggle button". When I start the application and load a profile, or when I switch from set X to set Y, I want that toggle button to get pressed by default.

That being said, I then explained what I'm trying to do since I just started using this and I may be going down the wrong path. Basically what I need to do is have decent camera controls in WoW, and not with me having to hold a button to look around, it should be automatic.

EDIT: Here's another idea.

Let's say I set up a button to toggle the left mouse button down and up. Can I have another button force the left mouse button up even though the toggle has it down?
Last edited by stonemenace on 23 Mar 2012, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Oke_Doke »

So you want a button pressed when the stick is at center.. I think Primal Fear just came up with a solution to a similar question.

http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3604

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

Thanks that's a cool idea. Let me think about it and I'll get back to you.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Yes, this will work.

The problem with that is that the LMB cannot be used to click on something as long as it is already pressed by Xpadder. I would suggest to use the Set Selection to start with something optimized for the main menu and then switch to another Set, with these assignments in the actual DeadZone, when the game is loaded.

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

It almost works. I set up a sequence like this to go forward:

[Left-MB][Dist-35%][Right-MB][W]

That works. However, when I set up the S key to go backwards, it messes up because when I push forward, the backward sequence thinks it's in the dead zone and keeps the Left-MB pressed. I need the Left-MB to be released whenever I move the thumbstick in any direction. The way the software works now doesn't make sense to me. Is there a way to do this?

EDIT: Sorry, it does work. There's a weird glitch but it's not due to what I thought it was. I'll try to explain it in the next post...

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

Okay I'm like 99% there I just need a little more help.

I got it working, but I have to put the mouse pointer in the center of the screen first.

Is there a way to center the mouse to the middle of the screen? If I could do that, then I'd be golden.

Prime: I did set it up like that. The BACK button switches between "Camera Mode" and "UI Mode" (UI Mode is the standard mouse controls with L-Tr/R-Tr set to L-Mouse/R-Mouse).

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

If it doesn't have to be the perfect center, you can assign mouse movement (the pointed arrows) together with the left mouse button in front of the Distance Zone. Then open the mouse settings and click on "Spring".

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

It has to be the perfect center for this to work because the game's camera freaks out if you hold the left button down and it's not in the center of the screen (for some reason). I suspect that it has to do with their automatic snap-back when you're walking and no buttons are pressed.

I've set it up so there's a Set between my two modes that sets the camera to the D-Pad and uses the "Spring" feature. That should work except it appears the spring feature doesn't function properly.

1. With the D-Pad, the cursor doesn't go to the center of the screen until you press a D-Pad button. You press it and the cursor jumps to the center and starts moving away. I would expect it to behave like a "hat" on a jet fighter style stick.

2. With the thumbstick, it doesn't report 0,0 to the system when the thumbstick is within the dead zone -- it reports the actual coordinates. It should not just be an internal dead zone, it should report any value within the zone as being the center.

If I am mistaken, please correct me because this would get me one step closer to my goal. Otherwise, a bug-fix would be wonderful. It seems pretty straight forward.

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

I'm going to bed. Here's my profile code; maybe one of you guys can make it work right. I'm testing it in TOR but it should work in any game with a WoW-style camera.

This uses "My XBOX 360 For Windows.xpaddercontroller" -- which I found online. It's too big to include in this post and I don't have the energy to put it up on a host right now. I hope it's common enough, or maybe even extraneous.

Forgive any stupidity, this is my first try using Xpadder.

Code: Select all

;--- Xpadder Profile File ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2012.01.19

[Profile Settings]

[Set Settings]
Set1Name=Camera Mode
Set1StickDeadZones=1,85
Set2Name=UI Mode
Set2StickDeadZones=85,85
Set2DPadMode=FourWay
Set3Name=Snapper
Set3StickDeadZones=64,111
Set3DPadMode=FourWay

[Assignments]
Set1Button1Slots=1
Set1Button2Slots=3
Set1Button3Slots=Back-Tick
Set1Button4Slots=2
Set1Button5Slots=Left Control
Set1Button6Slots=Tab
Set1Button7SetSelect=1
Set1Button8Slots=M
Set1Button9Slots=Space
Set1Button10Slots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1DPadUpMouseSpeed=32
Set1DPadRightMouseSpeed=32
Set1DPadDownMouseSpeed=32
Set1DPadLeftMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick1UpSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),DISTANCE ZONE 35%,W,Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Stick1RightSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),DISTANCE ZONE 35%,D,Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Stick1DownSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),DISTANCE ZONE 35%,S,Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),DISTANCE ZONE 35%,Left Mouse Button (1),Right Mouse Button (2),DISTANCE ZONE 1%,A,Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=14
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=14
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),Left Shift
Set1TriggerRightSlots=Alt
Set2Button1Slots=Space
Set2Button2Slots=Escape
Set2Button5Slots=Left Control
Set2Button7SetSelect=2
Set2Button8Slots=M
Set2Button9Slots=Space
Set2DPadUpSlots=1
Set2DPadRightSlots=2
Set2DPadDownSlots=3
Set2Stick1UpSlots=W
Set2Stick1RightSlots=E
Set2Stick1DownSlots=S
Set2Stick1LeftSlots=Q
Set2Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set2Stick2UpMouseSpeed=40
Set2Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set2Stick2RightMouseSpeed=30
Set2Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set2Stick2DownMouseSpeed=40
Set2Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set2Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=30
Set2TriggerLeftSlots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set2TriggerRightSlots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set3Button7Slots=Mouse Move Up
Set3Button7TurboRate=163
Set3Button7SetSelect=0
Set3Button7MouseSpeed=1
Set3DPadUpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set3DPadUpMouseSpeed=1
Set3DPadUpMouseMode=Spring
Set3DPadRightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set3DPadRightMouseSpeed=1
Set3DPadRightMouseMode=Spring
Set3DPadDownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set3DPadDownMouseSpeed=1
Set3DPadDownMouseMode=Spring
Set3DPadLeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set3DPadLeftMouseSpeed=1
Set3DPadLeftMouseMode=Spring
Set3Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set3Stick2UpMouseSpeed=255
Set3Stick2UpMouseMode=Spring
Set3Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set3Stick2RightMouseSpeed=255
Set3Stick2RightMouseMode=Spring
Set3Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set3Stick2DownMouseSpeed=255
Set3Stick2DownMouseMode=Spring
Set3Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set3Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=255
Set3Stick2LeftMouseMode=Spring
All I need is for Set 3 to spring the cursor to the center of the screen when it activates. Then when I hit BACK again, it will go to Set 1 (camera mode) and the cursor will be right where it needs to be for proper camera function.

Once I can do that, then the only thing left would be to make Set 3 transparent -- meaning I'd only have to hit BACK once to go from Set 2 to Set 1 while still getting the spring of Set 3. Essentially Set 3 is hidden so you think you're only switching between two modes (camera mode/UI mode). That would just be icing though. What I really need is for the D-Pad to behave like a hat in spring mode and/or the thumbsticks to translate dead-zone positions as mouse coordinates in the center of the screen.

Thanks,
Dave

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

Bump. I need to know if this is indeed defective functionality or there is a solution. If it is defective, I need to know if it will be fixed or if I should ask for a refund.

Thanks,
Dave

Reboot
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Reboot »

Last edited by Reboot on 26 Mar 2012, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Try this:
I have allowed myself to switch Set1 with Set2, so you start and the UI mode. I hope thats in your interest. If not, I can revert this.

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2012.01.19
Name=(Eingefügtes Profil )
Set1Name=UI Mode
Set1StickDeadZones=85,85
Set1DPadMode=FourWay
Set2Name=Camera Mode
Set2StickDeadZones=1,85
Set1Button1Slots=Space
Set1Button2Slots=Escape
Set1Button7Slots=Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right,Mouse Move Up,Mouse Move Down
Set1Button7Toggle=1
Set1Button7SetSelect=1
Set1Button7MouseSpeed=32
Set1Button7MouseMode=Spring
Set1Button8Slots=M
Set1Button9Slots=Space
Set1DPadUpSlots=1
Set1DPadRightSlots=2
Set1DPadDownSlots=3
Set1Stick1UpSlots=W
Set1Stick1RightSlots=E
Set1Stick1DownSlots=S
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=Q
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=40
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=30
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=40
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=30
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set1TriggerRightSlots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set2Button1Slots=1
Set2Button2Slots=3
Set2Button3Slots=Back-Tick
Set2Button4Slots=2
Set2Button6Slots=Tab
Set2Button7Toggle=1
Set2Button7SetSelect=0
Set2Button8Slots=M
Set2Button9Slots=Space
Set2Button10Slots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set2DPadUpMouseSpeed=32
Set2DPadRightMouseSpeed=32
Set2DPadDownMouseSpeed=32
Set2DPadLeftMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick1UpSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),DISTANCE ZONE 35%,W,Right Mouse Button (2)
Set2Stick1RightSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),DISTANCE ZONE 35%,D,Right Mouse Button (2)
Set2Stick1DownSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),DISTANCE ZONE 35%,S,Right Mouse Button (2)
Set2Stick1LeftSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),DISTANCE ZONE 35%,Left Mouse Button (1),Right Mouse Button (2),DISTANCE ZONE 1%,A,Right Mouse Button (2)
Set2Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set2Stick2UpMouseSpeed=14
Set2Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set2Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set2Stick2DownMouseSpeed=14
Set2Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set2Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set2TriggerLeftSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),Left Shift
Set2TriggerRightSlots=Alt

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

Figured out another way to do what I want. It's not as desirable but it is functional.

Unfortunately, once again Xpadder seems to be behaving contrary to what it is expected to do.

I set up two Sets: "Still Mode" and "Walk Mode"

Still mode:

Left thumbstick: Every direction is set to Jump to "Move Mode" Set
Right thumbstick: Each direction is set to be a combination of the left mouse button down and the appropriate direction for the mouse

Move Mode:

Left thumbstick: Each direction is set to WASD
Right thumbstick: Same thing as for Still Mode except with the right mouse button

This means when I'm not moving or looking around, the cursor is showing -- bad for immersion, but at least it kind of works the way I want it to.

However, Xpadder handles the left thumbstick for all directions except down -- it toggles back and forth between the two sets, but toggle isn't turned on. Also, when two directions are active (say up and right), they (for some direction combinations) negate each other and I get put in Still Mode when I'm moving and should be in Move Mode.

Here is the profile for the still/walk-mode method. It should be working as far as I can tell. I'd appreciate some help getting it to work, HOWEVER, I would prefer to get the first one I posted to work as it provides better results.

;--- Xpadder Profile File ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2012.01.19

[Profile Settings]

[Set Settings]
Set1Name=Still Mode
Set1StickDeadZones=86,86
Set2Name=Move Mode
Set2StickDeadZones=85,85
Set2DPadMode=FourWay
Set3StickDeadZones=92,92

[Assignments]
Set1Button1Slots=1
Set1Button2Slots=3
Set1Button4Slots=2
Set1Button6Slots=Tab
Set1Button7SetSelect=1
Set1Button8Slots=M
Set1Button9Slots=Space
Set1DPadUpSlots=Left Square Bracket
Set1DPadUpMouseSpeed=32
Set1DPadRightSlots=Dot
Set1DPadDownSlots=Right Square Bracket
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Comma
Set1Stick1UpSetSelect=1
Set1Stick1RightSetSelect=1
Set1Stick1DownSetSelect=1
Set1Stick1LeftSetSelect=1
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),Mouse Move Left
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Left Shift
Set2Button1Slots=1
Set2Button2Slots=3
Set2Button4Slots=2
Set2Button6Slots=Tab
Set2Button7SetSelect=2
Set2Button8Slots=M
Set2Button9Slots=Space
Set2DPadUpSlots=Left Square Bracket
Set2DPadRightSlots=Dot
Set2DPadDownSlots=Right Square Bracket
Set2DPadLeftSlots=Comma
Set2Stick1UpSlots=Arrow Up
Set2Stick1UpSetSelect=0
Set2Stick1RightSlots=Arrow Right
Set2Stick1RightSetSelect=0
Set2Stick1DownSlots=Arrow Down
Set2Stick1DownSetSelect=0
Set2Stick1LeftSlots=Arrow Left
Set2Stick1LeftSetSelect=0
Set2Stick2UpSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Down
Set2Stick2RightSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Right
Set2Stick2DownSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Up
Set2Stick2LeftSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Left
Set2TriggerLeftSlots=Left Shift
NOTE: I'm not sure why, but for some reason when I tell a button to go to another set "when held", the second set assigns the inverse to the same button, so in the second set, the same button will return you to the first set when that same button is held. That has to be a bug -- or bad design. If it's a design issue, I have a suggestion that probably wouldn't mean many code changes. Let me know if you're interested...

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

Primal: Thanks but swapping the two sets won't solve the problem. Regardless of the mode I start in, when I go from ui mode to camera mode, the camera mode needs the cursor to be dead-center. A third set with any thumbstick set to spring mode and a very large dead zone should provide the mouse coordinates for center-screen (high dead zone just to ignore any play in the thumbstick plus any incidental movement by the player).

The functionality should be there for this to happen, but it's not happening the way it should. Despite the thumbstick being in the dead zone, Xpadder is still reporting to Windows the actual thumbstick x,y values -- but it should be reporting the value for dead-center. The way it works now, the only point of having a dead zone is for Xpadder to use internally -- that is removing a large reason why you want an adjustable dead zone.

I think if the developer(s) just added an if-statement or two to the code, Xpadder could properly report no thumbstick activity when the thumbstick is within the dead zone threshold. It is an easy fix.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

stonemenace wrote:NOTE: I'm not sure why, but for some reason when I tell a button to go to another set "when held", the second set assigns the inverse to the same button, so in the second set, the same button will return you to the first set when that same button is held. That has to be a bug -- or bad design. If it's a design issue, I have a suggestion that probably wouldn't mean many code changes. Let me know if you're interested...
It's not a bug. If you move from let's say forward to forward/left, you give Xpadder the command to go to Set1 as left is held.
Try this

DataType=Profile
Version=2012.01.19
Name=
Set1Name=Still Mode
Set1StickDeadZones=86,86
Set2Name=Move Mode
Set2StickDeadZones=85,85
Set2DPadMode=FourWay
Set3Name=Move Mode 2
Set1Button1Slots=1
Set1Button2Slots=3
Set1Button4Slots=2
Set1Button6Slots=Tab
Set1Button7SetSelect=1
Set1Button8Slots=M
Set1Button9Slots=Space
Set1DPadUpSlots=Left Square Bracket
Set1DPadUpMouseSpeed=32
Set1DPadRightSlots=Dot
Set1DPadDownSlots=Right Square Bracket
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Comma
Set1Stick1UpToggle=1
Set1Stick1UpTurbo=1
Set1Stick1UpTurboRate=2
Set1Stick1UpSetSelect=1
Set1Stick1RightToggle=1
Set1Stick1RightTurbo=1
Set1Stick1RightTurboRate=2
Set1Stick1RightSetSelect=2
Set1Stick1DownToggle=1
Set1Stick1DownTurbo=1
Set1Stick1DownTurboRate=2
Set1Stick1DownSetSelect=1
Set1Stick1LeftToggle=1
Set1Stick1LeftTurbo=1
Set1Stick1LeftTurboRate=2
Set1Stick1LeftSetSelect=2
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Left Mouse Button (1),Mouse Move Left
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Left Shift
Set2Button1Slots=1
Set2Button2Slots=3
Set2Button4Slots=2
Set2Button6Slots=Tab
Set2Button7SetSelect=2
Set2Button8Slots=M
Set2Button9Slots=Space
Set2DPadUpSlots=Left Square Bracket
Set2DPadRightSlots=Dot
Set2DPadDownSlots=Right Square Bracket
Set2DPadLeftSlots=Comma
Set2Stick1UpSlots=Arrow Up
Set2Stick1UpToggle=1
Set2Stick1UpSetSelect=0
Set2Stick1RightSlots=Arrow Right
Set2Stick1DownSlots=Arrow Down
Set2Stick1DownToggle=1
Set2Stick1DownSetSelect=0
Set2Stick1LeftSlots=Arrow Left
Set2Stick2UpSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Down
Set2Stick2RightSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Right
Set2Stick2DownSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Up
Set2Stick2LeftSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Left
Set2TriggerLeftSlots=Left Shift
Set3Button1Slots=1
Set3Button2Slots=3
Set3Button3Slots=Back-Tick
Set3Button4Slots=2
Set3Button5Slots=Left Control
Set3Button6Slots=Tab
Set3Button8Slots=M
Set3Button9Slots=Space
Set3DPadUpSlots=Left Square Bracket
Set3DPadRightSlots=Dot
Set3DPadDownSlots=Right Square Bracket
Set3DPadLeftSlots=Comma
Set3Stick1UpSlots=Arrow Up
Set3Stick1RightSlots=Arrow Right
Set3Stick1RightToggle=1
Set3Stick1RightSetSelect=0
Set3Stick1DownSlots=Arrow Down
Set3Stick1LeftSlots=Arrow Left
Set3Stick1LeftToggle=1
Set3Stick1LeftSetSelect=0
Set3Stick2UpSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Down
Set3Stick2UpMouseSpeed=40
Set3Stick2RightSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Right
Set3Stick2RightMouseSpeed=30
Set3Stick2DownSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Up
Set3Stick2DownMouseSpeed=40
Set3Stick2LeftSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Left
Set3Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=30
Set3TriggerLeftSlots=Left Shift
Set3TriggerRightSlots=Alt
stonemenace wrote:Primal: Thanks but swapping the two sets won't solve the problem. Regardless of the mode I start in, when I go from ui mode to camera mode, the camera mode needs the cursor to be dead-center. A third set with any thumbstick set to spring mode and a very large dead zone should provide the mouse coordinates for center-screen (high dead zone just to ignore any play in the thumbstick plus any incidental movement by the player).
Yes, but I didn't only swap the Sets. I have assigned mouse spring to all four directions to the Back button, so camera will get centered when switching from Set1 to Set2.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

stonemenace wrote: The functionality should be there for this to happen, but it's not happening the way it should. Despite the thumbstick being in the dead zone, Xpadder is still reporting to Windows the actual thumbstick x,y values -- but it should be reporting the value for dead-center. The way it works now, the only point of having a dead zone is for Xpadder to use internally -- that is removing a large reason why you want an adjustable dead zone.
The actual problem here is that Xpadder stops sending any input for the mouse position when the stick reaches the DeadZone. So the cursor stops where it currently is.
I don't know how easy this could be fixed, but I have already suggested to Jonathan that there simply had to be a signal to center the cursor when the stick is in the DeadZone.

In this profile is a way that solves this problem for normal use.
But it won't anyways send a signal as long as the stick isn't moved, simply to prevent to make the mouse cursor stuck in the middle of the screen.

DataType=Profile
Version=2012.01.19
Name=
Set1StickDiagonalSizes=45,75
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Up,Mouse Move Right,Mouse Move Down,Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2UpMouseMode=Spring
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Up,Mouse Move Right,Mouse Move Down,Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick2RightMouseMode=Spring
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Up,Mouse Move Right,Mouse Move Down,Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2DownMouseMode=Spring
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Up,Mouse Move Right,Mouse Move Down,Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick2LeftMouseMode=Spring
Edit: replaced the profile with something even better, that is working for every controller.

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

That first one makes the game freak out, especially if the cursor happens to be over an icon. The snap-to-center seems not only required for this particular game, it also seems prudent. Thanks for the attempt, but I think we need to get the first method working right.

I get what you mean that the dead zone means stop sending info, but it really should send center-screen before it stops. That's really simple. Assuming 0,0 is center-screen:

length = sqrt((x * x) + (y * y));

if(length > thresh)
{ /* outside dead-zone: send [x,y] to system as mouse position */ }
else
{ /* dead-zone: send [0,0] to system as mouse position */ }

It's really that simple. (EDIT: This assumes it's ok to send the same value twice (which shouldn't be a big deal). To not send the same value twice is a few more lines of conditions and a bool to store the state.)

Your second profile doesn't look like you pasted it correctly. I just get the first bit of it.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

0;0 is actually the upper left corner of the main screen and the center alters depending on what resolution you use.

My second profile is complete. It's just an example how the mouse spring will work perfectly, by using Release Zone. I would have a solution that center the the cursor that way before and after moving the mouse/camera. But for that it has to be okay for you to use the mouse spring for the camera movement.

DataType=Profile
Version=2012.01.19
Name=special spring
Set1StickDeadZones=64,1
Set1StickDiagonalSizes=45,89
Set1Stick2UpSlots=HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Up,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Up,Mouse Move Down,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Right Mouse Button (2),HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Up,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2UpMouseMode=Spring
Set1Stick2RightSlots=HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Right,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Right Mouse Button (2),HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Right,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2RightMouseMode=Spring
Set1Stick2DownSlots=HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Down,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Down,Mouse Move Up,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Right Mouse Button (2),HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Down,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2DownMouseMode=Spring
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Left,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Right Mouse Button (2),HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Left,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2LeftMouseMode=Spring

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

Oh, wow. Yeah that's better. Hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but is there any way to have it start at the center (without having to move the stick first)?

I'll look at the details now and get it into my profile...

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

By the way, from your help with me, and what I've seen on the rest of the forum, you should definitely be getting a chunk of our $10.00. Not sure what you're level of involvement is, but you should be helping to develop the app, imho. You get it to do things it wasn't supposed to do.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

stonemenace wrote:Oh, wow. Yeah that's better. Hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but is there any way to have it start at the center (without having to move the stick first)?
You could only center the cursor by pressing a button, by assigning two opposite mouse directions to it and changing the mouse mode for this button to spring. You open the mouse settings for a button in the Assignment Window, by clicking on the tool button in the mouse area.

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

Right, ok. You're the magician, let me just tell you what I need. I need these 3 steps as 2 and I need that mouse-to-center to happen transparently.

Now, you said it requires you press a button. So, perhaps we could combine the mouse-2-center with the button press that sends you to the snapback set? Like pressing the button down gets you into Snapback and when in snapback, lifting that button up sends you to camera mode. Possible?

Or something like that? If we can get this working, it will satisfy most mmo players. I've actually improved at combat by using even what I have so far.

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

Ok I got it so I can pretty much double-tap the switch button to get from ui mode to cam mode -- it's automated on the release the same way you did the thumbstick. Thanks for reminding me of the wrench icon above the Advanced button!

If I could remove the need to double-click and kind of pass through the Snapback set, I'd be golden, but it's pretty fine as is now.

stonemenace

Post by stonemenace »

Duh! What I'm doing in the snapback set, I can just do in the ui mode set, lol. No need for snapback mode now. Wow! Works great!

I'm going to refine it a bit and post this for anyone who plays wow or any game with the same camera controls. The idea of playing WoW with a controller and getting full free-look functionality was unheard of by me until now. I hope this helps others. Will post soon.

Thanks primal -- thank you so much. This makes playing TOR a completely different experience. It's almost like KOTR back in the day. Hopefully we can get Xpadder to do what this does more inherently and not require the hacky nature -- there is still an issue where if you run to a selectable object, stop, and then start moving again quickly, it sees the rmb up down up as selecting the object. If Xpadder had just another feature or two, this wouldn't be a problem.

I'm a great coder -- been doing it for over 20 years now. So if Jonathan needs help, I'd be glad to lend a hand. Together, I think we could make something worth a bit more than $10.00.

Cheers!
Dave

Return to “Other questions”