Some Issues With Xpadder & LOTRO

anselhelm

Some Issues With Xpadder & LOTRO

Post by anselhelm »

Hello all

After much deliberation, I decided to buy Xpadder today in order to make LOTRO (Lord Of The Rings Online) a less keyboard-bound experience by mapping most of the common combat, movement and camera functions to my wireless 360 controller.

Most things work fine. By carefully thinking out the problem and making certain keys alt, ctrl and shift, plus making most of the main keys and dpad my numpad keys (which I use for my moves), I've had no trouble sorting out this. Assigning a button to tab makes targetting a breeze also.

However, I've run into a couple of issues and cannot seem to find an answer to them, not for lack of searching:

(1) There seems to be no way in xpadder to assign multiple joypad button combinations to a single keyboard key or mouse click. This isn't a major issue since I've found workarounds for this, but I'd like to know if such a thing is possible for future reference. I particularly found this sort of mapping highly useful in CO (Champions Online).

(2) Assigning 2 functions to a single button doesn't seem to always do both of them. In LOTRO, in order to move the camera you have to hold down the right mouse button and move the mouse. As such, I've assigned the X-axis of the right analogue stick to the left and right X-axis of the mouse and the right mouse button, then use the y-axis for zooming in/out. The problem is that if I move right/left then quickly change direction, it ignores the right mouse button command. As a result, it just moves the mouse! I NEED Xpadder to lock these two completely together. It must be right mouse button and left/right mouse movement of the mouse or nothing at all! The only other solution is setting a button to be a toggle for the right mouse button, but this does not solve the underlying issue.

I would greatly appreciate some assistance on at least the second issue if nothing else.

Kind regards

Edit:

Whilst I've not found solutions to either of these, I did find some useful workarounds. As such, I have most moves, camera functions and movement controls now working for LOTRO on a 360 controller. I'm using the select button as a toggle for "mouse button 2" (ie, right mouse button) and via some methodical keymapping in-game, it's quite possible to operate the camera freely via the right stick, as well as lock the camera down for following you (via toggling select on) when moving. The right stick up/down also doubles as a zoom in/out via ctrl+button assigning in-game.

For those who are interested in testing this out, it requires a lot of key remapping in-game, I should warn you. You basically want to assign all your weapon slots (1-12) firstly to numpad 1-9 plus 0, - and +. You then set the next slot up to ctrl plus all of those (in the same order). You then do alt and all of these and finally shift plus all of these. Beyond that, you combine alt+ctrl plus all of the numkeys and then ctrl+shift.

For the camera, scroll to the bottom of your keymapping and assign unused keys (1-4 in my case as I'm using numkeys) to rotating the camera left/right and panning in/out. Then map pitching the camera up/down to ctrl plus your panning in/out keys, so up/down on your 360 controller has a dual use when you hold down your ctrl assigned button. Leave rotate camera as
button 2 (ie, right mouse button.)

For selecting, you need one button (ideally shoulder) as tab. The select options you want to use need to be combinations of tab plus other mapped keys (ie, alt+tab, ctrl+tab, alt+ctrl+tab, ctrl+shift+tab etc).

For movement, I've assigned the arrow keys, though you could use WASD if you prefer. You need to ensure you change the default turn left/right buttons to strafe left/right for this to work as expected.

The basic theory behind this then is that you use 3 of the shoulder buttons as ctrl, alt and shift. The other works as tab for selecting purposes. The select button becomes a toggle for mouse button 2. The start button becomes Escape. Button A becomes jump. Buttons X, Y & B are you first, second & third attacks. Dpad down, left, up and right become your fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh attacks. You can use the right and left stick clicks for eighth and ninth attacks respectively. Note that the tenth, eleventh and twelf attacks are thereby not useable by this method, but that's not really all that important.

You end up with something like this (bearing in mind you may use different buttons):

Code: Select all

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
Version=5.6
Name=LOTRO
Set1Button1Slots=Space
Set1Button2Slots=NumPad 3
Set1Button3Slots=NumPad 1
Set1Button4Slots=NumPad 2
Set1Button5Slots=Alt
Set1Button6Slots=Tab
Set1Button7Slots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Button7Toggle=1
Set1Button8Slots=Escape
Set1Button9Slots=NumPad 8
Set1Button10Slots=NumPad 9
Set1DPadUpSlots=NumPad 6
Set1DPadRightSlots=NumPad 7
Set1DPadDownSlots=NumPad 4
Set1DPadLeftSlots=NumPad 5
Set1Stick1UpSlots=Arrow Up
Set1Stick1RightSlots=Arrow Right
Set1Stick1DownSlots=Arrow Down
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=Arrow Left
Set1Stick2UpSlots=3
Set1Stick2RightSlots=2
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2DownSlots=4
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=1
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Left Control
Set1TriggerRightSlots=Left Shift

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: Some Issues With Xpadder & LOTRO

Post by Jonathan »

I read this post yesterday and bookmarked it while I thought about it but it seems you fixed it? I'll reply to the problems anyway:
anselhelm wrote: (1) There seems to be no way in xpadder to assign multiple joypad button combinations to a single keyboard key or mouse click. This isn't a major issue since I've found workarounds for this, but I'd like to know if such a thing is possible for future reference. I particularly found this sort of mapping highly useful in CO (Champions Online).
Do you mean pressing buttons A and B will output key X but button A alone will output key Y and button B alone will output key Z? You can use sets to make A switch to set 2 while held and then have button B in that set simulate the key you want it both are pressed.
anselhelm wrote: (2) Assigning 2 functions to a single button doesn't seem to always do both of them. In LOTRO, in order to move the camera you have to hold down the right mouse button and move the mouse. As such, I've assigned the X-axis of the right analogue stick to the left and right X-axis of the mouse and the right mouse button, then use the y-axis for zooming in/out. The problem is that if I move right/left then quickly change direction, it ignores the right mouse button command. As a result, it just moves the mouse! I NEED Xpadder to lock these two completely together. It must be right mouse button and left/right mouse movement of the mouse or nothing at all! The only other solution is setting a button to be a toggle for the right mouse button, but this does not solve the underlying issue.
This is because when you move the stick back to the deadzone Xpadder releases those assignments so the right-mouse button is released at this point. Perhaps put the right mouse button on the left trigger and hold it while moving the stick or put the right mouse button on the stick-down button (when you click the stick down) and set it to toggle. Clicking the stick will activate the right mouse button and clicking again will deactivate it.

anselhelm

Re: Some Issues With Xpadder & LOTRO

Post by anselhelm »

Thanks for the reply Jonathon.

For the first problem, I mean giving functions to buttons only in combinations. I suppose I could use sets to make this work, but it would involve a LOT of set switching to give each button multiple functions. Instead of doing this, I just made certain buttons correspond to ctrl, alt, shift & tab, then set the key binds in LOTRO to combinations of these. Works better overall, though it doesn't quite allow the precise variation that CO has/had. That's no fault of xpadder though =)

For the second problem, moving properly requires that you lock the camera anyways, so it's working well with the right mouse button as a toggle on a key. Thank you for the explanation of why this was happening though ^_^

Kind regards =)

Return to “Other questions”